A resilience perspective on biofuel production
Version of Record online: 30 MAR 2011
Copyright © 2011 SETAC
Integrated Environmental Assessment and Management
Special Issue: Challenges Posed by Radiation and Radionuclide Releases to the Environment
Volume 7, Issue 3, pages 348–359, July 2011
How to Cite
Mu, D., Seager, T. P., Rao, P. S. C., Park, J. and Zhao, F. (2011), A resilience perspective on biofuel production. Integr Environ Assess Manag, 7: 348–359. doi: 10.1002/ieam.165
- Issue online: 20 JUN 2011
- Version of Record online: 30 MAR 2011
- Accepted manuscript online: 18 JAN 2011 09:48AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 29 DEC 2010
- Manuscript Revised: 13 SEP 2010
- Manuscript Received: 28 JUL 2010
- 2007. Water usage for current and future ethanol production. Southwest Hydrol 6: 22–23. .
- 2002. Lignocellulosic biomass to ethanol process design and economics utilizing co-current dilute acid prehydrolysis and enzymatic hydrolysis for corn stover (NREL/TP-510-32438). Golden, CO: National Renewable Energy Laboratory. , , , , , , , , , .
- Biofuels Journal. 2008. VeraSun Energy Corp. Launches Chapter 11 Case to Enhance Liquidity While it Reorganizes [Internet]; [cited 2011 February 19]. Available from: http://www.biofuelsjournal.com/articles/verasun_energy_corp_launches_chapter_11_case_to_enhance_liquidity_while_it_reorganizes_production_facilities_expected_to_continue_operations-65559.html
- 2005. Biotechnological processes for conversion of corn into ethanol. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 67: 19–25. , .
- 2008. Fast Pyrolysis and Bio-Oil Upgrading; [cited 2011 February 23]. Available from: http://www.ars.usda.gov/sp2UserFiles/Program/307/biomasstoDiesel/RobertBrown&JenniferHolmgrenpresentationslides.pdf , .
- 2003. Regime shifts in lake ecosystems: pattern and variation. Oldendorf/Luhe. Germany: International Ecology Institute. , , .
- 2001. From metaphor to measurement: Resilience of what to what? Ecosystems 4: 765–781. , , , .
- Coskata Inc. Flexethanol process [Internet]; [cited 2010 July 20]. Available from: http://www.coskata.com/process/
- 2007. The future of biofuels: A global perspective. Amber Waves 5: 24–29. .
- 2004. Overview of applications of biomass fast pyrolysis oil. Energy Fuels 18: 590–598. , .
- 2007. Thermo-chemical Conversions of Recovered Wood. COST E31 Management of Recovered Wood, 3rd and final Conference, A-Klagenfur; [cited 2011 February 23]. Available from: http://www.ctib-chn.be/coste31/meeting/presentations_klagenfurt/10Xavier_Deglise.pdf , , .
- 1999. Fischer-Tropsch reactions and the environment. Appl Catal A 189: 185–190. .
- 2008. Land clearing and the biofuel carbon debt. Science 319: 1235–1238. , , , , .
- 2006. Ethanol can contribute to energy and environmental goals. Science 311: 506–508. , , , , , .
- 2003. Designing resilient, sustainable systems. Environ Sci Technol 37: 5330–5339. .
- 2006. Sustainability and resilience: toward a systems approach. Sustain Sci Pract Policy 2: 14–21. .
- 2002. Resilience and Sustainable Development: Building Adaptive Capacity in a World of Transformations. Environmental Advisory Council to the Swedish Government, Stockholm, Sweden. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Regime shifts, resilience, and biodiversity in ecosystem management. Annu Rev Ecol Evol Syst 35: 55–581. , , , , , , .
- Food & Water Watch, Network for New Energy Choices, Institute for Energy and the Environment at Vermont Law School. 2007. The rush to ethanol: not all biofuels are created equal (Analysis and recommendations for US Biofuels Policy).
- 2000. Ecological resilience—in theory and application. Annu Rev Ecol Sys 31: 425–439. .
- 1973. Resilience and Stability of Ecological Systems. Annu Rev Ecol Sys 4: 1–23. .
- 1996. Engineering Resilience versus Ecological Resilience. In: Schulze PC, editor. Engineering Within Ecological Constraints. Washington, DC: National Academy. p. 31–43. .
- 2002. Resilience and adaptive cycles. In: Gunderson LH, Holling CS, editors. Panarchy: Understanding transformations in human and natural systems. Washington, DC: Island. p. 25–62. , .
- 2006. Resilience engineering: Concepts and precepts. Aldershot, UK: Ashgate. , , .
- 2006. Synthesis of transportation fuels from biomass: Chemistry, catalysts, and engineering. Chem Rev 106: 4044–4098. , , .
- 2009. Performance and cost analysis of future, commercially mature gasification-based electric power generation from switchgrass. Biofuels Bioprod Bioref 3: 142. , , .
- 1998. Biomass for Renewable Energy, Fuels, and Chemicals. San Diego, CA: Academic. .
- 2009. Ethanol, Just Recently a Savior, Is Struggling. New York Times 2009, Feb 11. .
- 2010. Co-production of decarbonized synfuels and electricity from coal+biomass with CO2 capture and storage: An Illinois case study. Energy Environ Sci 3: 28. , , , , , .
- 2009. Improvements in life cycle energy efficiency and greenhouse gas emissions of corn-ethanol. J Ind Ecol 13: 58–74. , , , , , , .
- 2009. The vanishing face of Gaia: A final warning. New York, NY: Basic Books. .
- 1996. Overview and evaluation of fuel ethanol from cellulosic biomass: technology, economics, the environment, and policy. Annu Rev Energy Environ 21: 403–465. .
- 2009. Contribution of enzymes and process chemicals to the life cycle of ethanol. Environ Res Lett 4: 1–10. , .
- 2000. Determining the cost of producing ethanol from corn starch and lignocellulosic feedstocks (NREL/TP-580-28893). Golden (CO): National Renewable Energy Laboratory. , , , , .
- 2008. Assessing a Hydrothermal Liquefaction Process Using Biomass Feedstocks. Baton Rouge (LA): Louisiana State University. .
- 2005. Features of promising technologies for pretreatment of lignocellulosic biomass. Bioresour Technol 96: 673–686. , , , , , , .
- 2010. Comparative life cycle assessment of lignocellulosic ethanol production: biochemical versus thermochemical conversion. Environmental Management: in press (Online first). DOI: 10.1007/s00267-010-9494-2. , , , .
- 2010. Bio-oil and bio-char production from corn cobs and stover by fast pyrolysis. Biomass Bioenergy 34: 67–74. , , , , , .
- 1994. The research progress of biomass pyrolysis processes. Integrated energy systems in China—The cold Northeastern region experience [Internet]. Food and Agricultural Organization (FAO) of the United Nations; [cited 2010 July 17]. Available from: www.fao.org/docrep/t4470e/t4470e00.htm , , , .
- 2008. Report on measures of resilience. Deliverable No. 15 of Project 012816: CAVES—Complexity, Agents, Volatility, Evidence and Scale. , , , .
- 2008. Thermochemical biofuel production in hydrothermal media: A review of sub- and supercritical water technologies. Energy Environ Sci 1: 32–65. , , , , , .
- 1998. Ecological resilience, biodiversity, and scale. Ecosystems 1: 6–18. , , .
- 2003. Ethanol fuels: energy balance, economics, and environmental impacts are negative. Natural Resour Res 12: 127–134. .
- 1984. The Complexity and Stability of Ecosystems. Nature 307: 321–326. .
- RFA. Ethanol industry statistics: Historic US fuel ethanol production [Internet]. Renewable Fuels Association; [cited 2010 July 19]. Available from: http://www.ethanolrfa.org/pages/statistics
- 2005. US Agriculture After Hurricanes Katrina and Rita. Congressional Research Office. Washington, DC: http://www.nationalaglawcenter.org/assets/crs/RL33075.pdf , .
- 1950. Capitalism, Socialism and Democracy 3rd ed. New York, NY: Harper-Collins. .
- 2008. The sustainability spectrum and the sciences of sustainability. Bus Strat Environ 17: 444–453. .
- 2008. Beyond eco-efficiency: A resilience perspective. Bus Strat Environ 17: 411–419. , .
- 2008. Use of US croplands for biofuels increases greenhouse gases through emissions from land-use change. Science 319: 1238–1240. , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Comparison of modified dry-grind corn processes for fermentation characteristics and DDGS composition. Cereal Chem 82: 187–190. , , , , , .
- [USDA] US Department of Agriculture. 2010. Agriculture Projection to 2019. Office of the Chief Economist, World Agricultural Outlook Board, US Department of Agriculture; [cited 2011 February 23]. Available from: http://www.usda.gov/oce/commodity/archive_projections/USDAAgriculturalProjections2019.pdf.
- USDOE. 2010. The US Dry Mill Ethanol Industry. Available from: http://www.brdisolutions.com/pdfs/drymill_ethanol_industry.pdf
- USDOE. 2009. Cellulosic Ethanol Production [Internet]. Alternative Fuels & Advanced Vehicles Data Center; [cited 2010 July 19]. Available from: http://www.afdc.energy.gov/afdc/ethanol/production_cellulosic.html
- USDOE. 2005. Biomass as Feedstocks for Bioenergy ans Bioproducts Industries: The Technical Feasibility of a Billion-ton Annual Supply. Oak Ridge National Laboratory, TE. DOE/GO- 102995-2135 .
- USEIA. 2007. Biofuels in the US transportation sector [Internet]. US Energy Information Administration; [cited 2010 July 19]. Available from: http://www.eia.doe.gov/oiaf/analysispaper/biomass.html
- USEIA. 2009. International Energy Outlook 2009 (DOE/EIA-0484 (2009)) Washington, DC.
- USEIA. 2003. Municipal Solid Waste and Its Role In Sustainability. EIA Bioenergy; [cited 2010 July 19]. Available from: http://www.ieabioenergy.com/media/40_IEAPositionPaperMSW.pdf
- 2005. A resilience approach to integrated assessment. Integr Assess 5: 77–97. .
- 2004. Resilience, adaptability and transformability in social-ecological systems. Ecol Soc 9: 5. , , , .
- 2006. Resilience thinking: sustaining ecosystems and people in a changing world. Washington, DC: Island. , .
- 2007. Life-cycle energy and greenhouse gas emission impacts of different corn ethanol plant types. Environ Res Lett 2: 024001. , , .
- 2008. Distributed processing of biomass to bio-oil for subsequent production of Fischer-Tropsch liquids. Biofuels Bioprod Bioref 2(3): 229–238. , , .
- , , , . Technical, Economic, and Environmental Feasibility of Flexible Carbon to Liquid Process: A Preliminary Analysis. 6th Global Conference on Sustainable Product Development and Life Cycle Engineering; Sep. 29 – Oct. 1, 2008; Busan, Korea. p. 40-45.