Health & Ecological Risk Assessment
Evaluation of the environmental impact of apple pest control strategies using pesticide risk indicators
Article first published online: 4 MAY 2011
Copyright © 2011 SETAC
Integrated Environmental Assessment and Management
Volume 7, Issue 4, pages 542–549, October 2011
How to Cite
Ioriatti, C., Agnello, A. M., Martini, F. and Kovach, J. (2011), Evaluation of the environmental impact of apple pest control strategies using pesticide risk indicators. Integr Environ Assess Manag, 7: 542–549. doi: 10.1002/ieam.185
- Issue published online: 19 SEP 2011
- Article first published online: 4 MAY 2011
- Accepted manuscript online: 22 FEB 2011 10:45AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 11 FEB 2011
- Manuscript Revised: 4 JAN 2011
- Manuscript Received: 11 DEC 2010
- 2009. Reduced-risk pest management programs for eastern U.S. apple and peach orchards: a 4-year regional project. Am Entomol 55: 184–197. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Integrated fruit production experiences in Trentino, Italy. IOBC/WPRS Bulletin 23: 45–50. , , , .
- 2010. Effectiveness of five insecticides for the control of adults and young stages of Cacopsylla melanoneura (Förster) (Hemiptera: Psyllidae) in a semifield trial. Pest Manag Sci 66: 308–312. , , , .
- 2004. Assessing the environmental impacts of pesticides used on processing tomato crops. Agric Ecosyst Environ 102: 155–162. , , , , , .
- 2007. Pesticide risk indicators and apple production systems in Northeastern North America: a case study. Compact Fruit Tree 40: 15–19. , , , , .
- 2006. Variation in pesticide hazard from arable crop production in Great Britain from 1992 to 2002: pesticide risk indices and policy analysis. Crop Prot 25: 1101–1108. , .
- 2004. Indicateurs pour èvaluer les risques liés à l'utilization des pesticides. Paris (FR): TEC&DOC Lavoisier. 278 p. , , , , .
- 1994. Evaluating the environmental effect of pesticides: a critique of the Environmental Impact Quotient. Am Entomol 40: 180–184. , , .
- 2000. Cacopsylla costalis (Flor 1861) as a vector of apple proliferation in Trentino. J Phytopathol 148: 425–431. , , , , .
- 2001. Pesticide risk reduction on crops in the Province of Ontario. J Environ Qual 30: 798–813. , , .
- 2007. An alternative way to evaluate the environmental effects of integrated pest management: Pesticide risk indicators. Renew Agric Food Syst 22: 213–222. , .
- 2009. Management of pesticide dosages and water volumes in relation to the vegetative development of pome fruit trees in Italian orchards. In: Proceedings of SuproFruit 2009 10th Workshop on Spray Application Techniques in Fruit Growing; 2009 Sep 30–Oct 2; Wageningen (NL): Hof van Wageningen. 70 p. , , , , , , .
- 1992. A method to measure the environmental impact of pesticides. NY Food Life Sci Bull 139: 1–8. , , , .
- 1995. Assessing the relative environmental impacts of agricultural pesticides: the quest for a holistic method. Agric Ecosyst Environ 55: 153–168. , , .
- 1997. An overview of pesticide impact assessment systems (pesticide risk indicators). In: Organization of Economic Cooperation and Development Workshop on Pesticide Risk Indicators; 1997 Apr 21-23; Copenhagen (DK). 89 p. .
- 2009. Guidelines for integrated production of pome fruits. 4th ed. IOBC/WPRS Bulletin 47: 1–13. , .
- 2001. Comparative evaluation of pesticide risk indices for policy development and assessment in the United Kingdom. Agric Ecosyst Environ 86: 50–73. , , .
- 2006. Management influence on environmental impacts in an apple production system on Swiss fruit farms: combining life cycle assessment with statistical risk assessment. Agric Ecosyst Environ 114: 311–322. , , , .
- 2010. Evaluation of the environmental impact of pesticides by application of three risk indicators. Environ Forensics 11: 179–186. , , .
- 2009. Pesticide risk management using indicators for vineyards in the central valley of Chile. Integr Environ Assess Manag 5: 476–482. , , , , , , , , .
- [PAT] Provincia Autonoma di Trento. 2010. Linee techniche di difesa integrata. [cited 8 August 2010]. Available from: http://www.trentinoagricoltura.it/it/SC/2396/Disciplinari_di_produzione.html
- 1978. A sharp focus on insect populations and pest management from a wide-area view. ESA Bulletin 24: 55–61. .
- 2001. Sustainibility of three apple production systems. Nature 410: 926–929. , , , .
- 2010. Indicators to assess the environmental impact of protection practices in apple orchards. IOBC/WPRS Bulletin 54: 261–264. , , , .
- 1998. Demonstration and implementation of integrated fruit production (IFP) on pears in northern Oregon: economics. Acta Hortic 475: 67–75. , , .
- 2002. Adoption of pest management practices by vegetable growers: a case study. Am Entomol 48: 236–242. , , .
- 2008. Testing and comparison of three pesticide risk indicator models under Norwegian conditions-A case study in the Skuterud and Heiabekken catchments. Agric Ecosyst Environ 123: 15–29. , , , .
- 2010. Pesticide risk indicators: unidentifield inert ingredients compromise their integrity and utility. Environ Manag 45: 834–841. , , .
- 2003. Pesticide indicators. Pestic Outlook 14: 159–163. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Side effects of some pesticides on predatory mites (Phytoseiidae) in citrus orchards. IOBC/WPRS Bulletin 24: 97–101. , .