Species sensitivity distribution evaluation for selenium in fish eggs: Considerations for development of a Canadian tissue-based guideline
Article first published online: 24 AUG 2011
Copyright © 2011 SETAC
Integrated Environmental Assessment and Management
Volume 8, Issue 1, pages 6–12, January 2012
How to Cite
DeForest, D. K., Gilron, G., Armstrong, S. A. and Robertson, E. L. (2012), Species sensitivity distribution evaluation for selenium in fish eggs: Considerations for development of a Canadian tissue-based guideline. Integr Environ Assess Manag, 8: 6–12. doi: 10.1002/ieam.245
- Issue published online: 19 DEC 2011
- Article first published online: 24 AUG 2011
- Accepted manuscript online: 6 JUL 2011 10:37AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 29 APR 2011
- Manuscript Received: 12 JAN 2011
- 1985a. Hyco Reservoir 1983 bioassay report. New Hill (NC): Carolina Power & Light. 55 p. , , , , , .
- 1984. 1982 Environmental monitoring studies, Volume II: Hyco Reservoir bioassay studies. New Hill (NC): Carolina Power & Light. 65 p. , , , , , .
- 1985b. Hyco Reservoir 1984 bioassay report. New Hill (NC): Carolina Power & Light. 51 p. , , , , .
- 2000. Concentrations of selenium in surface water, sediment and fish from the McLeod, Pembina, and Smoky rivers: Results of surveys from fall 1998 to fall 1999. Edmonton (AB): Alberta Environment. 29 p. , .
- [CCME] Canadian Council of Ministers of the Environment. 2007. Canadian environmental quality guidelines: A protocol for the derivation of water quality guidelines for the protection of aquatic life. Winnipeg (MB). Canadian Council of Ministers of the Environment. 37 p.
- 2007. Selenium thresholds for fish from cold freshwaters. Hum Ecol Risk Assess 13: 20–24. .
- 1993. Effect of dietary selenium on the reproductive success of bluegills (Lepomis macrochirus). Environ Toxicol Chem 12: 551–565. , , , , .
- [CP&L] Carolina Power & Light. 1997. Largemouth bass selenium bioassay. Roxboro (NC): Carolina Power & Light. 14 p.
- 2008. Tissue selection criteria: Selection of tissue types for development of meaningful selenium tissue thresholds in fish. Part 1 of selenium tissue thresholds: Tissue selection criteria, threshold development endpoints, and field application of tissue thresholds. Washington (DC): North America Metals Council–Selenium Working Group. , , .
- 1999. Critical review of proposed residue-based selenium toxicity thresholds for freshwater fish. Hum Ecol Risk Assess 5: 1187–1228. , , .
- 2005. Relationship between embryo selenium concentration and early life stage development in white sucker (Catostomus commersoni) from a northern Canadian lake. Bull Environ Contam Toxicol 74: 1134–1142. , , .
- 1992. Development of water quality criteria for resident aquatic species of the San Joaquin River. Davis (CA): Univ California–Davis Department of Animal Science. Report to the California State Water Resources Control Board for Contract 7-197- 250-0. , , , , , , .
- Formation Environmental. 2011a. Brown trout laboratory reproduction studies conducted in support of development of a site-specific selenium criterion. Prepared for J.R. Simplot Company. Pocatello (ID): Smoky Canyon Mine.
- Formation Environmental. 2011b. Yellowstone cutthroat trout laboratory reproduction studies conducted in support of development of a site-specific selenium criterion. Draft. Prepared for J.R. Simplot Company. Pocatello (ID): Smoky Canyon Mine.
- 1986. Effects of high tissue concentrations of selenium on reproduction by bluegills. Trans Am Fish Soc 115: 208–213. , .
- Golder Associates. 2005. Report on Elk Valley selenium lotic monitoring study (2001-2003). Elkford (BC): Elk Valley Mines Environmental Management Committee. 35 p.
- 2005a. Selenium impacts on razorback sucker, Colorado River, Colorado. II. Eggs. Ecotoxicol Environ Saf 61: 32–43. , , , .
- 2005b. Selenium impacts on razorback sucker, Colorado River, Colorado. III. Larvae. Ecotoxicol Environ Saf 61: 168–169. , , , .
- 2010. Effects of dietary selenomethionine on cutthroat trout (Oncorhynchus clarki bouvieri) growth and reproductive performance over a life cycle. Arch Environ Contam Toxicol 58: 237–245. , , .
- 1996. Exposure of bluegill (Lepomis macrochirus) to selenium in outdoor experimental streams. Duluth (MN): US Environmental Protection Agency Mid-Continent Ecology Division. , , , .
- 2002. Sublethal effects of selenium in rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) and brook trout (Salvelinus fontinalis) [MA thesis]. Winnipeg (MB): Univ Manitoba. .
- 2005. Developmental effects of bioaccumulated selenium in eggs and larvae of two salmonid species. Environ Toxicol Chem 24: 2373–2381. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. An assessment of the development and survival of wild rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) and brook trout (Salvelinus fontinalis) exposed to elevated selenium in an area of active coal mining. In: The big fish bang: Proceedings of the 26th Annual Larval Fish Conference, July 22-26, Bergen, Norway. p 257–273. , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Selenium toxicity to aquatic organisms. In: Chapman PM, Adams WJ, Brooks ML, Delos CG, Luoma SN, Maher WA, Ohlendorf HM, Presser TS, Shaw DP, editors. Ecological assessment of selenium in the aquatic environment: Summary of a SETAC Pellston workshop 2009 February 22-28; Pensacola, Florida. Pensacola (FL): SETAC. p 141–231. , , , , , , , , , ., et al.
- 2000. The effect of bioaccumulated selenium on mortalities and deformities in the eggs, larvae, and fry of a wild population of cutthroat trout (Oncorhynchus clarki lewisi). Arch Environ Contam Toxicol 39: 46–52. , , , .
- 1996. Selenium in aquatic organisms. In: Beyer WN, Heinz GH, Redmon-Norwood AW, editors. Environmental contaminants in wildlife—Interpreting tissue concentrations. New York (NY): CRC Lewis. p 427–445. .
- 1997. A teratogenic deformity index for evaluating impacts of selenium on fish populations. Ecotoxicol Environ Saf 37: 259–266. .
- 2006. Selenium concentrations in the tissues of fish from the Upper McLeod and Upper Smoky River systems. Innisfil (AB): Alberta Sustainable Resource Development and Alberta Environment. 39 p. .
- 1994. Ecotoxicology of selenium in freshwater systems. Rev Environ Contam Toxicol 134: 31–48. , .
- Mainstream Aquatics. 2006. Selenium monitoring and management program report for aquatic resources, No. 12 mine and No. 7 mine. Prepared for Grande Cache Coal. Edmonton (AB): Mainstream Aquatics. 33 p.
- 2009. Survey of selenium in water, zooplankton and fish in Lake Koocanusa, British Columbia, 2008. Prepared for Environmental Protection, Kootenay Region, British Columbia Ministry of Environment on behalf of the Elk Valley Selenium Task Force, Sparwood (BC). 74 p. .
- 1998. Selenium mobilization from surface coal mining in the Elk River basin, British Columbia: A survey of water, sediment and biota. Cranbrook (BC): Pollution Prevention, Ministry of Environment, Lands and Parks, Kootenay Region. 46 p. , .
- 2010. Development of a selenium tissue toxicity threshold for Dolly Varden char (Salvelinus malma). Environ Toxicol Chem 29: 2800–2805. , , , , , .
- Minnow Environmental and Paine, Ledge and Associates. 2006. Evaluation of selenium related effects among embryo–larval longnose sucker in the Elk Valley, BC. Prepared for Elk Valley Selenium Task Force, Sparwood (BC). 32 p.
- 2006. Larval deformities associated with selenium accumulation in northern pike (Esox lucius) exposed to metal mining effluent. Environ Sci Technol 40: 6506–6512. , , , , .
- 2009. Selenium accumulation in aquatic biota downstream of a uranium mining and milling operation. Sci Total Environ 407: 1318–1325. , .
- Nautilus Environmental. 2011. Evaluation of the effects of selenium on early life stage development of westslope cutthroat trout from the Elk Valley, BC. Sparwood (BC): Elk Valley Selenium Task Force. Draft revised report.
- 1989. Effects of elevated foodborne selenium on growth and reproduction of the fathead minnow (Pimephales promelas). Arch Environ Contam Toxicol 18: 795–803. , .
- Palisade Corporation. 2008. @Risk. Version 5. 0. Ithaca (NY): Palisade Corp.
- 2008. Reproductive success, early life stage development, and survival of westslope cutthroat trout (Oncorhynchus clarki lewisi) exposed to elevated selenium in an area of active coal mining. Environ Sci Technol 42: 3109–3114. , , .
- 1990. Transfer of toxic concentrations of selenium from parent to progeny in the fathead minnow (Pimephales promelas). Bull Environ Contam Toxicol 45: 568–573. , .
- [USEPA] US Environmental Protection Agency. 2004. Draft aquatic life water quality criteria for selenium—2004. Washington (DC): Office of Water, Office of Science and Technology.