A streamlined sustainability assessment tool for improved decision making in the urban water industry
Article first published online: 24 AUG 2011
Copyright © 2011 SETAC
Integrated Environmental Assessment and Management
Volume 8, Issue 1, pages 183–193, January 2012
How to Cite
Schulz, M., Short, M. D. and Peters, G. M. (2012), A streamlined sustainability assessment tool for improved decision making in the urban water industry. Integr Environ Assess Manag, 8: 183–193. doi: 10.1002/ieam.247
- Issue published online: 19 DEC 2011
- Article first published online: 24 AUG 2011
- Accepted manuscript online: 12 JUL 2011 12:49PM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 5 JUL 2011
- Manuscript Revised: 28 FEB 2011
- Manuscript Received: 16 JAN 2011
- [AS/NZS] Australia/New Zealand Standards. 2003. AS/NZS 6400: Water efficient products—Rating and Labelling. Sydney (AU): Standards Australia International. 64 p.
- 2010. Simplified tools for global warming potential evaluation: when ‘good enough’ is best. Int J Life Cycle Assess 15: 489–498. , , , , .
- 2002. Integrated environmental assessment of tertiary and residuals treatment—LCA in the wastewater industry. Water Sci Technol 47: 109–116. , .
- CML. 2001. Life cycle assessment – An operational guide to the ISO standards. Report prepared by Guinée JB, Gorrée M, Heijungs R, Huppes G, Kleijn R, de Koning A, van Oers L, Wegener Sleeswijk A, Suh S, Udo de Haes HA, de Bruin H, van Duin R, Huijbregts MAJ. Parts 1–3. Available at: http://www.leidenuniv.nl/cml/lca2/index.html. Final Report, May 2001. Institute of Environmental Sciences – Leiden University, Netherlands.
- 2006. General Purpose Standing Committee No. 5. A sustainable water supply for Sydney. Report 25. Sydney (AU): New South Wales Parliament. 175 p. .
- 1985. Chemical engineering. Vol 1. Fluid flow, heat transfer and mass transfer. Oxford (UK): Pergamon. , .
- 1999. Life cycle assessment of drinking water and rain water for toilets flushing. J Water Supply Res Technol-Aqua 48: 73–83. , , , .
- 2000. Energy and material flow through the urban ecosystem. Annu Rev Energy Environ 25: 685–740. , , , , .
- 1998. Assessing management options for wastewater treatment works in the context of life cycle assessment. Water Sci Technol 38: 23–30. , , , .
- [DSE] Department of Sustainability and Environment. 2004. Our water our future: Securing our water future together Melbourne. East Melbourne (AU): Victoria Department of Sustainability and Environment.
- 2009. Toward sustainable practices in technology education. Intl J Tech Design Educ 19: 133–147. .
- 1995. The life cycle analysis of small-scale sewage-treatment processes. Water Environ J 9: 317–325. , , .
- eWater. 2005. MUSIC. MUSIC software and user manual, version4. [cited 5 July 2011]. Available from: http://www.ewater.com.au/products/ewater-toolkit/urban-tools/music/
- 2002. Life-cycle assessment as an environmental management tool in the production of potable water. Water Sci Technol 46: 29–36. .
- 2007. The use of LCA in the water industry and the case for an environmental performance indicator. Water SA 33: 443–451. , , .
- 2009. Environmental life cycle assessments for water treatment processes. A South African case study of an urban water cycle. Water SA 35: 73–84. , , .
- 2005. LCA report for sustainability of alternative water and sewerage servicing options. Report for Yarra Valley Water. , .
- 1997. Impact categories for natural resources and land use. Survey and analysis of existing and proposed methods in the context of environmental life cycle assessment. Institute of Environmental Sciences – Leiden University (CML). CML report 138. ISBN 90-5191-111-4. , , .
- 2003. Evaluation of two simplified life cycle assessment methods. Int J Life Cycle Assess 8: 119–128. , .
- 2008. Sustainability assessment of advanced wastewater treatment technologies. Water Sci Technol 58: 963–968. , , , , , .
- 2004. Life cycle costing and the environment Report for the RIVM Expertise Centre LCA. Zaaknummer 200307074. Leiden (NL): Startpagina Universiteit Leiden, Institute of Environmental Sciences (CML). , , , , , .
- IPCC. 2007. Climate Change 2007: The Physical Science Basis. Contribution of Working Group I to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate change, Solomon S, Qin D, Manning M, Chen Z, Marquis M, Averyt KB, Tignor M, Miller HL, editors. Cambridge and New York: Cambridge University Press.
- 2006. Environmental life cycle assessment of water supply in South Africa: The Rosslyn industrial area as a case study. Water SA 32: 249–256. , .
- 2008. Analysis of effects of an objective function on environmental and economic performance of a water network system using life cycle assessment and life cycle costing methods. Chem Eng J 144: 368–378. , , .
- 2009. Environmental impact minimization of a total wastewater treatment network system from a life cycle perspective. J Environ Manag 90: 1454–1462. , .
- 2004. Life cycle assessment for sustainable metropolitan water systems planning. Environ Sci Technol 38: 3465–3473. , , .
- 2005. Quantitative systems analysis as a strategic planning approach for metropolitan water service providers. Water Sci Technol 52: 11–20. , , .
- 2000. Life cycle assessment of wastewater systems: Influence of system boundaries and scale on calculated environmental loads. Environ Sci Technol 34: 180–186. , , .
- Melbourne Water. 2006a. Melbourne Water, Social and Environment Data 2005/2006; Eastern Treatment Plant inputs and discharges. [cited 5 July 2011]. Available from: http://www.melbournewater.com.au/content/publications/reports/social_and_environment_data/env_eastplant.asp
- Melbourne Water. 2006b. Melbourne Water, Social and Environment Data 2005/2006; Western Treatment Plant inputs and discharges. [cited 5 July 2011]. Available from: http://www.melbournewater.com.au/content/publications/reports/social_and_environment_data/env_westplant.asp
- 2005. Aquacycle User Guide. Melbourne, Australia. [cited 5 July 2011]. Available from: http://www.toolkit.net.au/Tools/Aquacycle/documentation .
- 2008. Urban stormwater harvesting - sensitivity of a storage behaviour model. Environ Model Software 23: 782–793. , , , .
- 2007. Economic and environmental assessment of small and decentralized wastewater treatment systems. In: 2nd International Conference on Wastewater Treatment in Small Communities (SmallWat07); 2007 November 11-15; Seville, Spain. p 16-21. , , , , , , .
- 2009. LCA as a decision support tool for the environmental improvement of the operation of a municipal wastewater treatment plant. Environ Sci Technol 43: 3300–3307. , , , .
- PE International. 2011. GaBi 4.4. Database information in the GaBi 4.3 Professional Database. [cited 2011 May 1]. Available from: http://www.gabi-software.com/databases/
- 2001. Life-cycle assessment of biosolids processing options. J Ind Ecol 5: 103–121. , .
- 2009. Popularize or perish—growth in Australia. Int J Life Cycle Assess 14: 503–507. .
- 2009. Environmental comparison of biosolids management systems using life cycle assessment. Environ Sci Technol 43: 2674–2679. , .
- PRe Consultants. 2008. SimaPro 7. [cited 5 July 2011]. Available from: http://www.pre.nl/simapro/simapro_lca_software.htm
- 1997. Sustainability of municipal wastewater treatment. Water Sci Technol 35: 221–228. , , , , .
- 2008a. ESAT Manual, version 1.3. Creation of an Environmental Sustainability Assessment Tool (ESAT). [cited 5 July 2011]. Available from: http://smartwater.com.au/projects/round4/unsw/Documents/SWF_UNSW_ESAT%20Manual_v1.3.pdf , .
- 2008b. ESAT: Environmental Sustainability Assessment Tool. Instructions for use of ESAT. [cited 5 July 2011]. Available from: http://smartwater.com.au/projects/round4/unsw/Documents/Environmental%20Sustainability%20Assessment%20Tool%20(ESAT)v1.3.xls , .
- 2005. Sustainability of alternative water and sewerage servicing options—YVW, Kalkallo and Box Hill PAC developments. Report prepared for Yarra Valley Water, Australia. , , , , , .
- 2006. Life cycle cost estimations of water servicing options—Kalkallo and Box Hill developments. Report prepared by CSIRO for Yarra Valley Water, Australia. , , , .
- 2009. Environmental and economic assessment of urban water services for a greenfield development. Environ Eng Sci 26: 921–934. , , , , .
- 2005. Life cycle assessment of water recycling technology. Water Resour Manag 19: 521–537. , , , , .
- 1998. Life cycle assessment of municipal waste water systems. Int J Life Cycle Assess 3: 145–157. , , .
- WELS. 2008. Water efficiency labelling and standards scheme. [cited 2008 September]. Available from: http://www.waterrating.gov.au
- 1997. Environmental Assessment of Products (Volume 1). Methodology tools and case studies in product development. Hingham: Kluwer Academic Publishers. , , .
- 2003. A mandatory water efficiency labelling scheme for Australia. Final report prepared for Environment Australia. 178 p. . Associates.
- [WSAA] Water Services Association of Australia. 2006. National Performance Report 2005/2006. Melbourne (AU): WSAA.