Special Series: Bayesian Networks in Environmental and Resource Management
Integrating Bayesian networks and geographic information systems: Good practice examples
Article first published online: 19 SEP 2011
Copyright © 2011 SETAC
Integrated Environmental Assessment and Management
Volume 8, Issue 3, pages 473–479, July 2012
How to Cite
Johnson, S., Low-Choy, S. and Mengersen, K. (2012), Integrating Bayesian networks and geographic information systems: Good practice examples. Integr Environ Assess Manag, 8: 473–479. doi: 10.1002/ieam.262
- Issue published online: 14 JUN 2012
- Article first published online: 19 SEP 2011
- Accepted manuscript online: 18 AUG 2011 11:59AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 18 JUL 2011
- Manuscript Revised: 15 MAR 2011
- Manuscript Received: 27 JUL 2010
- 2009. Predicting land cover using GIS, Bayesian and evolutionary algorithm methods. J Environ Manag 90: 236–250. , .
- 2007. Geographically assisted elicitation of expert opinion for regression models. In: Bernardo JM, Bayarri MJ, Berger JO, Dawid AP, Heckerman D, Smith AFM, West M, editors. Bayesian Statistics 8. Eighth Valencia International Meeting on Bayesian Statistics; 2006 Jun 2–6; Valencia, Spain. Oxford (UK): Oxford Univ. p 595–600. , .
- 2010. A Bayesian belief network analysis of factors influencing wildfire occurrence in Swaziland. Environ Model Software 25: 199–208. .
- 2006. Spatially explicit avalanche risk assessment linking Bayesian networks to a GIS. Nat Hazards Earth Syst Sci 6: 911–926. , .
- 2007. Investigating the use of a Bayesian Network to model the risk of Lyngbya majuscula bloom initiation in Deception Bay, Queensland. Hum Ecol Risk Assess 13: 1271–1279. , , , , , .
- Hugin Expert. 2008. Hugin Graphical User Interface, version 6.9. [cited 2008 Feb 15]. Available from: http://www.hugin.com/developer/documentation/
- 2010. Elicitator: an expert elicitation tool for regression in ecology. Environ Model Software 25: 129–145. , , .
- 2007. Bayesian networks and decision graphs. New York (NY): Springer Science/Business Media. 447 p. , .
- 2009. Integrating Bayesian Networks and a GIS-based nutrient hazard map of Lyngbya majuscula. Queensland Coastal Conference 2009: Waves of Change; 2009 May 12–15; Gold Coast, Australia. [cited 2011 April 15]. Available from: http://www.qldcoastalconference.org.au/images/upload_images/Johnson_Sandra.pdf , , , , , .
- 2010. An integrated bayesian network approach to Lyngbya majuscula bloom initiation. Mar Environ Res 69: 27–37. , , , .
- 2010. Modelling cheetah relocation success in southern Africa using an iterative bayesian network development cycle. Ecol Model 221: 641–651. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Enhancing a GIS cellular automata model of land use change: Bayesian networks, influence diagrams and causality. Trans GIS 11: 681–702. , .
- 2009. Probabilistic graphical models: principles and techniques. Cambridge (MA): MIT Press. 1231 p. , .
- 2010. Bayesian artificial intelligence. Boca Raton (FL): Chapman & Hall/CRC. 364 p. , .
- 2010. Assessment of catastrophic risk using Bayesian Network constructed from domain knowledge and spatial data. Risk Anal 30: 1157–1175. , , , .
- 2009. Elicitation by design in ecology: using expert opinion to inform priors for Bayesian statistical models. Ecology 90: 265–277. , , .
- 2010. Indirect elicitation from ecological experts: From methods and software to habitat modelling and rock-wallabies. In: O'Hagan A, West M, editors. The Oxford handbook of applied Bayesian analysis. Oxford (UK): Univ. p. 511–544. , , , .
- 2001. Using Bayesian belief networks to evaluate fish and wildlife population viability under land management alternatives from an environmental impact statement. For Ecol Manag 153: 29–42. , , , , .
- 2009. How useful is expert opinion for predicting the distribution of a species within and beyond the region of expertise? A case study using brush-tailed rock-wallabies Petrogale penicillata. J Appl Ecol 46: 842–851. , , , , , .
- Norsys Software. 2010. Netica 3.17. [cited 2011 November 11]. Available from: http://www.norsys.com
- 1988. Probabilistic reasoning in intelligent systems. San Mateo (CA): Morgan Kaufmann. 552 p. .
- 2008. Modelling land based nutrients relating to Lyngbya majuscula (Cyanobacteria) growth in Moreton Bay, southeast Queensland, Australia. Mem Queensl Mus 54: 377–390. , , , , , .
- 2007. Using a Bayesian Network in a GIS to model relationships and threats to koala populations close to urban environments. In: Oxley L, Kulasiri D, editors. MODSIM 2007: Land, water and environmental management: Integrated systems for sustainability. International Congress on Modelling and Simulation; 2007 Dec 10–13; Christchurch, New Zealand. Christchurch (NZ): Univ of Canterbury. p 1370–1375. , .
- 2007. Using a Bayesian belief network to predict suitable habitat of an endangered mammal—The Julia Creek dunnart (Sminthopsis douglasi). Biol Conserv 139: 333–347. , , , .
- 1998. Application of a Bayesian network in a GIS based decision making system. Int J Geogr Inf Sci 12: 23–46. , , .
- 2010. Assessment of a Bayesian belief network-GIS framework as a practical tool to support marine planning. Mar Pollut Bull 60: 1743–1754. , , , .
- 2007. Advantages and challenges of Bayesian networks in environmental modelling. Ecol Model 203: 312–318. .
- 2000. Modelling cooling tower risk for legionnaires' disease using Bayesian networks and geographic information system. In: Pradhan M, Warren J, Chu S, Coiera E, Zelmer ACL, editors. HIC 2000: Proceedings. Eighth National Health Informatics Conference; 2000 Sep 3–5; Adelaide, Australia. Brunswick (AU): Health Informatics Society of Australia. p. 136–142. , , , .