Incremental ecological exposure risks from contaminated sediments in an urban estuarine river
Version of Record online: 5 NOV 2009
Copyright © 2005 SETAC
Integrated Environmental Assessment and Management
Volume 1, Issue 4, pages 374–390, November 2005
How to Cite
Ludwig, D. F. and Iannuzzi, T. J. (2005), Incremental ecological exposure risks from contaminated sediments in an urban estuarine river. Integr Environ Assess Manag, 1: 374–390. doi: 10.1002/ieam.5630010407
- Issue online: 5 NOV 2009
- Version of Record online: 5 NOV 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 15 JUN 2005
- Manuscript Received: 14 JUN 2005
- 1981a. Toxicity of zinc, cadmium and copper to the shrimp Callianassa australiensis, I: Effects on individual metals. Marine Biol 64: 299–304. , , and
- 1981b. Toxicity of zinc, cadmium, and copper to the shrimp Callianassa australiensis, III: Accumulation of metals. Marine Biol 64: 311–316. , , and
- 1975. Brown pelicans: Improved reproduction off the southern California coast. Science 190: 806–808. , , , , , and
- 2005. Characterization of chemical contamination in shallow-water estuarine habitats of an industrialized river, II: Metals. Soil Sediment Contam 14: 35–52. , , , and
- 1996. 2,3,7,8-Tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin is a potent toxin and induces cytochrome P450 in the crayfish, Pacifastacus leniusculus. Aquat Toxicol 35: 157–169. , , , and
- [ASTM] American Society for Testing and Materials. 1996. Standard guide for conducting acute toxicity tests with fishes, macroinvertebrates, and amphibians. W. Conshohocken, PA.
- 1998. Using a spiked sediment bioassay to establish a no-effect concentration for dioxin exposure to the amphipod Ampelisca abdita. Environ Toxicol Chem 17: 420–424. , , , , and
- 1992. Bird census techniques. London, UK: Academic. , , and
- 1993. Distribution of inorganic compounds in sediments from three waterways in northern New Jersey. Bull Environ Contam Toxicol 51: 672–680. , , , and
- 1974. The Passaic River: Past, present, future. New Brunswick (NJ), USA: Rutgers University.
- 1974. Cadmium toxicity and bioconcentration in largemouth bass and bluegill. Bull Environ Contam Toxicol 11: 146–151. and
- 1974. Silver toxicity and accumulation in largemouth bass and bluegill. Bull Environ Contam Toxicol 12: 53–61. and
- 1976. Effects of DDT in Fundulus: Studies on toxicity, fate, and reproduction. Arch Environ Contam Toxicol 4: 334–348. and
- 1970. Polychlorinated biphenyl (Aroclor 1254) in the water, sediment, and biota of Escambia Bay, Florida. Bull Environ Contam Toxicol 5: 171–180. , , and
- 1976. Effect of dietary lead on reproductive performance in Japanese quail, Coturnix coturnix japonica. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 38: 307–314. , , , and
- 1990. PCDDs and PCDFs in surficial sediments from the lower Passaic River and Newark Bay. In: Proceedings of the 10th International Meeting, Dioxin 90: Organohalogen Compounds; 11 September 1990; Bayreuth, Germany. Bayreuth, Germany: Ecoinforma. p. 409–414. , , , , and
- 1995. DDT, DDD, and DDE contamination of sediment in the Newark Bay Estuary, New Jersey. Arch Environ Contam Toxicol 28: 85–92. , , , , , and
- 1974. Effects of low dietary levels of methyl mercury on mallard reproduction. Bull Environ Contam Toxicol 11: 386–392.
- 1975. Effects of methylmercury on approach and avoidance behavior of mallard ducklings. Bull Environ Contam Toxicol 13: 554–564.
- 1976a. Methylmercury: Second-generation reproductive and behavioral effects on mallard ducks. J Wildl Manag 40: 710–715.
- 1976b. Methylmercury: Second-year feeding effects on mallard reproduction and duckling behavior. J Wildl Manag 40: 82–90.
- 1979. Methylmercury: Reproductive and behavioral effects on three generations of mallard ducks. J Wildl Manag 43: 394–401.
- 1976. Long-term effects of lead exposure on three generations of brook trout (Salvelinus fontinalis). J Fish Res Board Can 33: 1731–1741. , , , and
- 1988. Field assessment of the effects of contaminants on fishes. Columbia, MO: U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service, National Fisheries Contaminant Research Center. Biological Report 88.
- 1995a. Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon and petroleum hydrocarbon contamination in sediment from the Newark Bay Estuary, New Jersey. Arch Environ Contam Toxicol 28: 93–107. , , and
- 1997. Combined sewer overflows (CSOs) as sources of sediment contamination in the Lower Passaic River, New Jersey, II: Polychlorinated dibenzo-p-dioxins, polychlorinated dibenzofurans, and polychlorinated biphenyls. Chemosphere 34: 233–250. , , , , , and
- 1995b. Geochronology and sedimentology of the lower Passaic River, New Jersey. Estuaries 18: 351–361. , , , , and
- 2005. Historical and current ecology of the lower Passaic River. Urban Habitats 2 (1): online. Available at: www.urbanhabitats.org. and
- 1995. Distribution and possible sources of total mercury in sediments from Newark Bay Estuary, New Jersey. Bull Environ Contam Toxicol 55: 901–908. and
- 1995. Distribution and possible sources of polychlorinated biphenyls in dated sediments from the Newark Bay Estuary, New Jersey. Arch Environ Contam Toxicol 28: 108–117. , , , , and
- 1997. Combined sewer overflows (CSOs) as sources of sediment contamination in the Lower Passaic River, New Jersey, II: Priority pollutants and inorganic chemicals. Chemosphere 34: 213–231. , , , , , and
- 2001. Persistent organic pollutants in sediments and aquatic organisms from intertidal habitats in an urban river. Organohalogen Compounds 51: 188–190. , , , , and
- 2002. A common tragedy: History of an urban river. Amherst (MA), USA: Amherst Scientific. , , , , , and
- 2005. Characterization of chemical contamination in shallow-water estuarine habitats of an industrialized river, I: Organic compounds. Soil and Sediment Contamination 14: 13–33. , , , and
- 1992. Ecology of estuaries: Anthropogenic effects. Boca Raton (FL), USA: CRC.
- 1998. Predicting toxicity in marine sediments with numerical sediment quality guidelines. Environ Toxicol Chem 17: 714–727. , , and
- 1995. Incidence of adverse biological effects within ranges of chemical concentrations in marine and estuarine sediments. Environ Manag 19: 81–97. , , , and
- 2002. Incremental chemical risks and damages in urban estuaries: Spatial and historical ecosystem analysis. In: NewmanMC, RobertsMHJr, HaleRC, editors. Coastal and estuarine risk assessment. Washington DC: Lewis. p. 297–325. and
- 2001. Reproductive and transgenerational effects of methylmercury or Aroclor 1268 on Fundulus heteroclitus. Environ Toxicol Chem 20: 327–335. , , , , and
- 1993. Enhancing ecotoxicology modeling and assessment: Body residues and modes of toxic action. Environ Sci Technol 27 (9): 1719–1728. and
- 1960. The tolerance of growing chickens for dietary copper. Poult Sci 39: 713–719. , , , and
- 1986. Toxicity and accumulation of cadmium in the crayfish, Orconectes virilis (Hagen). Arch Environ Contam Toxicol 15: 401–407.
- 1994. Dietary and waterborne exposure of rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) to copper, cadmium, lead, and zinc using a live diet. Environ Toxicol Chem 13: 2031–2041. , , , , and
- [NOAA] National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. 2002. A national strategy to restore coastal and estuarine habitat: Executive summary. Washington DC.
- 1992. Toxicity and reproductive effects of 2,3,7,8-tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin in ring-necked pheasant hens. J Toxicol Environ Health 35: 187–198. , , , , and
- [NRC] National Research Council. 1992. Restoration of aquatic ecosystems. Washington DC: National Academy Press.
- 1998. The impact on reproduction of an orally administered mixture of selected PCBs in zebrafish (Danio rerio). Arch Environ Contam Toxicol 35 (1): 52–57. , , , , and
- 1994. Dietary uptake of 2,3,7,8-tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin and its effects on reproduction in the common mummichog (Fundulus heteroclitus) [Master's thesis]. Kingston (RI), USA: University of Rhode Island.
- 1996. Toxicology benchmarks for wildlife: 1996 revision. Washington DC: Prepared for the U.S. Department of Energy. , , and
- 1978. Chronic effects of cadmium and zinc mixtures on flagfish (Jordanella floridae). Trans Am Fish Soc 107 (2): 354–360. , , and
- 1990. Breeding-hen and progeny performance when hens are fed excessive dietary zinc. Poult Sci 69: 259–263. , , and
- [USEPA] U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. 1993. Wildlife exposure factors handbook. Vol 1 and 2. Washington DC. EPA/600/R-93/187.
- [USEPA] U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. 1995. Passaic River Study Area RI/FS work plans. Washington DC.
- [USEPA] U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. 1998. Risk assessment guidance for Superfund, Vol. I: Human health evaluation manual (part D, standardized planning, reporting, and review of superfund risk assessments)—Interim report. Washington DC. Publication 9285.7–01D.
- [USEPA] U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. 1999. Passaic River Study Area ecological sampling plan. Washington DC.
- 1998. Vertical distribution of acid-volatile sulfide and simultaneously extracted metals in a recent sedimentation area of the river Meuse in the Netherlands. Environ Toxicol Chem 17: 758–763. , , , and
- 2002. Historical assessment of impacts of chemical contaminants in sediments on benthic invertebrates in the tidal Passaic River, New Jersey. Human and Ecological Risk Assessment 8: 727–737. , , , and
- 1991. Waterborne lead affects feeding abilities and neurotransmitter levels of juvenile fathead minnows (Pimephales promelas). Aquat Toxicol 21: 71–80. , , , and
- 1994. Accumulation of metals, polychlorinated biphenyls, and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in sediments from the lower Passaic River, New Jersey. Arch Environ Contam Toxicol 27: 64–81. , , and
- 1993. Principal components analysis of potential sources of polychlorinated dibenzo-p-dioxin and dibenzofuran residues in surficial sediments from Newark Bay, New Jersey. Arch Environ Contam Toxicol 24: 271–289. , , , and
- 1978. Uptake and retention of dietary cadmium in mallard ducks. Environ Res 17: 53–59. and