European environmental management: Moving to an ecosystem approach
Version of Record online: 5 NOV 2009
Copyright © 2006 SETAC
Integrated Environmental Assessment and Management
Volume 2, Issue 1, pages 80–85, January 2006
How to Cite
Apitz, S. E., Elliott, M., Fountain, M. and Galloway, T. S. (2006), European environmental management: Moving to an ecosystem approach. Integr Environ Assess Manag, 2: 80–85. doi: 10.1002/ieam.5630020114
- Issue online: 5 NOV 2009
- Version of Record online: 5 NOV 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 15 JUL 2005
- Manuscript Received: 8 FEB 2005
- 2005. Strategic frameworks for managing sediment risk at the basin and site-specific scale. In: HeiseS, editor. Sediment risk management and communication. Elsevier. Forthcoming. , , , .
- 2005a. Assessing and managing contaminated sediments: Part I, developing an effective investigation and risk evaluation strategy. Integ Environ Assess Manag 1: 2–8. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005b. Assessing and managing contaminated sediments: Part II, evaluating risk and monitoring sediment remedy effectiveness. Integ Environ Assess Manag 1: e1–e14. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. A conceptual framework for river-basin-scale sediment management. J Soil Sediment 3: 132–138. , .
- 2005. The European Water Framework Directive: A challenge for nearshore, coastal and continental shelf research. Continental Shelf Res. 25: 1768–1783. .
- The EU Water Framework Directive—one year on. In: Proceedings of the XVIIth World Dredging Congress, Environmental Day; 2004 Sep 29; Hamburg, DE. Delft (NL): Central Dredging Association. .
- 2004. An ecological perspective on the valuation of ecosystem services. Biol Conserv 120: 549–565. .
- COM. 1985. Council Directive 85/337/EEC of 27 June 1985 on the assessment of the effects of certain public and private projects on the environment. Official Journal of the European Communities L 175, 05/07/1985:0040–0048.
- COM. 1992. Council Directive 92/43/EEC of 21 May 1992 on the conservation of natural habitats and of wild fauna and flora. Official Journal of the European Communities L 206, 22.7.1992:7.
- COM. 1996. Council Directive 96/61/EC of 24 September 1996 concerning integrated pollution prevention and control. Official Journal of the European Communities L 257, 10/10/1996:0026–0040.
- COM. 2000a. Communication from the Commission on the precautionary principle. Brussels: Commission of the European Communities. Report COM(2000) 1 final.
- COM. 2000b. Directive 2000/60/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 23 October 2000 establishing a framework for community action in the field of water policy. Official Journal of the European Communities L 327, 22/12/2000:0001–0073.
- COM. 2001a. Communication from the Commission to the Council, the European Parliament, the Economic and Social Committee and the Committee of the Regions on the sixth environment action programme of the European Community ‘Environment 2010: Our future, Our choice’—The Sixth Environment Action Programme—Proposal for a Decision of the European Parliament of the Council laying down the Community Environment Action Programme 2001–2010. Brussels. Report COM (2001) 31 final 2001/0029 (COD). 24.1.2001 p.
- COM. 2001b. Directive 2001/42/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 June 2001 on the assessment of the effects of certain plans and programmes on the environment. Official Journal of the European Communities L 197/30, 21.7.2001.
- COM. 2002a. Communication from the Commission to the Council and the European Parliament: Towards a strategy to protect and conserve the marine environment. Brussels: Commission of the European Communities. Report COM(2002) 539 final.
- COM. 2002b. Recommendation of the European Parliament and of the Council of 30 May 2002 concerning the implementation of Integrated Coastal Zone Management in Europe (2002/413/EC). Official Journal of the European Communities L 148/24, 6.6.2002.
- COM. 2004. Directive 2004/35/CE European Parliament and of the Council of 21 April 2004 on environmental liability with regard to the prevention and remedying of environmental damage. Official Journal of the European Communities L 143/56, 30.4.2004.
- 1997. The value of the world's ecosystem services and natural capital. Nature 387: 253–260. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. The role of biodiversity in the functioning of freshwater and marine benthic ecosystems. Bioscience 54: 767–775. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- Department for Environment, Food, and Rural Affairs. 2004. Understanding of Undesirable Disturbance in the Context of Eutrophication, and Development of UK Assessment Methodology for Coastal and Marine Waters. Stage 1. Project report: What is undesirable disturbance? Edinburgh (UK): Napier University.
- 2005. Healthy animals, healthy ecosystems. Front Ecol Environ 3: 251–258. , .
- 2004. A review of approaches for classifying benthic habitats and evaluating habitat quality. J Environ Manage 73: 165–181. , , .
- 1997. Interrelations between science and policy-making: The North Sea example. Mar Pollut Bull 34: 686–701. , .
- 2004. Marine habitats: loss and gain, mitigation and compensation. Mar Pollut Bull 49: 671–674. , .
- 1999. The impact of recent European directives on estuarine and coastal science and management. Aquat Ecol 33: 311–321. , , ,
- 1998. The protection of species versus habitats—Dilemmas for marine scientists. Mar Pollut Bull 36: 174–176. , .
- 2005. WFD—Implications of physical modifications and possible new chemical standards for the navigation sector in estuaries and coastal waters; 2005 31 January, 2005; ICE, London (UK). .
- 2004a. Ecosystem management bioindicators: The Ecoman project. Marine Environ Res 58: 233–237. , , , , , , .
- 2004b. A multi-biomarker approach to ecosystem management. Environ Sci Technol 38: 1723–1731. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Reflections on statistics, ecology and risk assessment. In: AllerJY, WoodinSA, AllerRC, editors. Organism-sediment interactions. Columbia (SC): University of South Carolina Press. p 33–42. .
- 2004. Methodology for the Provisional Identification and Formal Designation of Heavily Modified Water Bodies in UK Transitional and Coastal Waters under the EC Water Framework Directive. Bristol (UK): Environment Agency. , , , , .
- 2001. Historical overfishing and the recent collapse of coastal ecosystems. Science 293 (5530): 629–638. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Regional scale ecological risk assessment using the relative risk model. Boca Raton (FL): CRC. .
- 1992. The problem of pattern and scale in ecology. Ecology 73: 1943–1967. .
- 1999. Coastal zone conservation and management: a biological indicator of climatic influences. Aquat Conserv 9: 401–405. .
- 1997. Extinction on the high seas. Science 277: 486–488. .
- 2004. The estuarine ecosystem; Ecology, threats and management. 3rd ed. Oxford (UK): OUP. 216 p. , .
- 2003. Biodiversity and ecosystem processes in shallow coastal waters: an experimental approach. J Sea Res 49: 133–141. , , , , .
- 2001. The possible implications of the Water Framework Directive and the Species & Habitats Directive on the Management of Marine Aquaculture. In: ReadPea, editor. The implications of directives, conventions and codes of practice on the monitoring and regulation of marine aquaculture in Europe (MARAQUA). Aberdeen (UK): Fisheries Research Services. p 58–74. , , .
- 2000. Global biodiversity scenarios for the year 2100. Science 287: 1770–1774. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Approaches to ecological risk characterization and management: Selecting the right tools for the job. Hum Ecol Risk Assess 10: 245–269. , , .