Debate and Commentary
From optimization to adaptation: Shifting paradigms in environmental management and their application to remedial decisions
Article first published online: 5 NOV 2009
Copyright © 2006 SETAC
Integrated Environmental Assessment and Management
Volume 2, Issue 1, pages 92–98, January 2006
How to Cite
Linkov, I., Satterstrom, F. K., Kiker, G. A., Bridges, T. S., Benjamin, S. L. and Belluck, D. A. (2006), From optimization to adaptation: Shifting paradigms in environmental management and their application to remedial decisions. Integr Environ Assess Manag, 2: 92–98. doi: 10.1002/ieam.5630020116
- Issue published online: 5 NOV 2009
- Article first published online: 5 NOV 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 14 JUN 2005
- Manuscript Received: 9 JUN 2005
- 2004. Application of decision analysis to forest road deactivation in unstable terrain. Environ Manag 33: 173–185. , , .
- [BCFS] British Columbia Forest Service. 2000. Case studies of adaptive management. www.for.gov.bc.ca/hfp/amhome/am_case_studies.htm. Accessed 17 September 2004.
- [CEC] Commission of the European Communities. 2001. Green paper on the future of the Common Fisheries Policy. europa.eu.int/eur-lex/en/com/gpr/2001/com2001_0135en01.pdf. Accessed 17 September 2004.
- 2005. Modeling regional waterfowl harvest rates using Markov chain Monte Carlo. J Wildl Manag 69: 77–90. , , .
- [DOE] Department of Energy. 2002. Adaptive management platform for natural resources in the Columbia River Basin. www.pnl.gov/main/publications/external/technical_reports/PNNL-13875.pdf. Accessed 28 September 2004.
- [DOE] Department of Energy. 2003. The NEPA Task Force report to the Council on Environmental Quality: Modernizing NEPA Implementation. ceq.eh.doe.gov/ntf/report/finalreport.pdf. Accessed 20 September 2004.
- Environment Canada. 2004. The ecosystem approach. www.bco.ec.gc.ca/en/primers/ecosystem.cfm. Accessed 17 September 2004.
- [FERC] Federal Energy Regulatory Commission. 2000. Interagency Task Force report on improving the studies process in FERC licensing. www.nmfs.noaa.gov/habitat/habitatprotection/studies_final.pdf. Accessed 20 September 2004.
- FigueiraJ, GrecoS, EhrgottM, editors. 2005. Multiple criteria decision analysis: State of the art surveys. New York (NY): Springer.
- 1999. Introduction to the special feature: Adaptive management—Scientifically sound, socially challenged? www.consecol.org/vol3/iss1/art10. Accessed 14 July 2004. .
- 2005. Application of multi-criteria decision analysis in environmental management. Integr Environ Assess Manage 1: 95–108. , , , , .
- 2001. Adaptive learning for science-based policy: The Everglades restoration. Ecological Economics 37: 403–416. , , .
- 2003. Shaping the next one hundred years: New methods for quantitative, long-term policy analysis. www.rand.org/publications/MR/MR1626/. Accessed 28 September 2004. , , .
- 2003. Model uncertainty and choices made by modelers: Lessons learned from the international atomic energy agency model intercomparisons. Risk Analysis 23: 1297–1308. , .
- 2005. Sources of uncertainty in model predictions: Lessons learned from the IAEA Forest and Fruit Working Group model intercomparisons. J Environ Radioact 84 (2): 297–314. , .
- 2005. From comparative risk assessment to multi-criteria decision analysis and adaptive management: Recent developments and applications. Environ Int (forthcoming). , , , , .
- 2004. Multi-criteria decision analysis: Framework for applications in remedial planning for contaminated sites. In: LinkovI, RamadanA, editors. Comparative risk assessment and environmental decision making. Amsterdam (NL): Kluwer. , , , , , .
- 2004. Learning as an objective within a structured risk management decision process. Environ Sci Technol 38: 1921–1926. , .
- [NOAA] National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. 2004a. Coastal restoration—Adaptive management. www.csc.noaa.gov/coastal/management/management.htm. Accessed 17 September 2004.
- [NOAA] National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. 2004b. Coastal restoration—Innovative and successful monitoring and adaptive management approaches. www.csc.noaa.gov/coastal/management/monitor.htm. Accessed 17 September 2004.
- [NOAA] National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. 2004c. Landscape characterization and restoration (LCR) program—Habitat restoration. www.csc.noaa.gov/lcr/text/confsumm.html. Accessed 29 September 2004.
- [NRC] National Research Council. 2003. Environmental cleanup at Navy facilities. Committee on Environmental Remediation at Naval Facilities, Water Science and Technology Board, Division on Earth and Life Studies. Washington DC: National Academies.
- [NRC] National Research Council. 2004. Adaptive management for water resources planning. Panel on Adaptive Management for Resource Stewardship, Committee to Assess the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Methods of Analysis and Peer Review for Water Resources Project Planning, Water Science and Technology Board, Ocean Studies Board, Division on Earth and Life Studies. Washington DC: National Academies.
- 1999. An introductory guide to adaptive management for project leaders and participants. Victoria (BC): Forest Practices Branch, British Columbia Forest Service. .
- 1997. An ecological decision framework for environmental restoration projects. Ecological Engineering 9: 89–107. , , , , , .
- 2001. Application of decision analysis to evaluate recovery actions for threatened Snake River spring and summer chinook salmon (Oncorhynchus tshawytscha). Can J Fish Aquat Sci 58: 2431–2446. , .
- 1999. Factors in overcoming barriers to implementing co-management in British Columbia salmon fisheries. Conserv Ecol 3 (2): 2. www.consecol.org/vol3/iss2/art2. Accessed 15 July 2004. .
- 2000. A practical decision-analysis process for forest ecosystem management. Comput Electron Agric 27: 195–226. , , , .
- 2003. Ecologically sustainable water management: Managing river flows for ecological integrity. Ecol Appl 13: 206–224. , , .
- 2004. An institutional framework for designing and monitoring ecosystem-based fisheries management policy experiments. Ecological Economics 48: 109–124. .
- 2005. Adaptive management: A review and framework for integration with multi-criteria decision analysis. In: MaceyGP, CannonJ, editors. Reclaiming the land: Rethinking Superfund institutions, methods, and practices. New York (NY): Springer (forthcoming). , , , , .
- SitV, TaylorB, editors. 1998. Statistical methods for adaptive management studies. Land Management Handbook. Victoria (BC), Canada: British Columbia Ministry of Forests Research Program.
- SutinenJG, editor. 2000. A framework for monitoring and assessing socioeconomics and governance of large marine ecosystems. Washington DC: National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. Technical Memorandum NMFS-NE-158.
- 1997. Adaptive management of forests in British Columbia. Victoria (BC), Canada: British Columbia Ministry of Forests, Forest Practices Branch. www.for.gov.bc.ca/hfp/amhome/am_publications.htm. Accessed 20 July 2004. , , .
- [USACE] U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and [SFWMD] South Florida Water Management District. 2001. Project management plan. Lake Okeechobee Watershed Project. Jacksonville (FL).
- [USEPA] U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. 1999. Integrated assessment of hypoxia in the northern Gulf of Mexico. www.epa.gov/msbasin/ia/index.html. Accessed 17 September 2004.
- [USEPA] U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. 2001. Action plan for reducing, mitigating, and controlling hypoxia in the northern Gulf of Mexico. www.epa.gov/msbasin/actionplan.htm. Accessed 29 September 2004.
- [USEPA] U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. 2002. Lake Superior lakewide management plan (LaMP) 2000. www.epa.gov/glnpo/lakesuperior/lamp2000/. Accessed 17 September 2004.
- 1978. Ecological optimization and adaptive management. Ann Rev Ecol Syst 9: 157–188. , .
- 2002. Adaptive management in habitat conservation plans. Conserv Biol 16: 20–29. .
- WWF. (2001a). Put environment at the heart of European fisheries policy: WWF manifesto for the review of the EU Common Fisheries Policy. www.panda.org/downloads/marine/manifesto_1.pdf. Accessed 17 September 2004.
- WWF. (2001b). Adaptive management: A tool for conservation practitioners. effectivempa.noaa.gov/docs/adaptive.pdf. Accessed 20 September 2004.