Letter to the Editor
Letter to the editor: Response to recent criticism on aquatic semifield experiments: Opportunities for new developments in ecological risk assessment of pesticides
Version of Record online: 5 NOV 2009
Copyright © 2006 SETAC
Integrated Environmental Assessment and Management
Volume 2, Issue 3, pages 202–203, July 2006
How to Cite
Van den Brink, P. J. (2006), Letter to the editor: Response to recent criticism on aquatic semifield experiments: Opportunities for new developments in ecological risk assessment of pesticides. Integr Environ Assess Manag, 2: 202–203. doi: 10.1002/ieam.5630020302
- Issue online: 5 NOV 2009
- Version of Record online: 5 NOV 2009
- Manuscript Received: 17 MAY 2006
- Aquatic risks of pesticides, ecological protection goals and common claims in EU Legislation. Integr Environ Assess Manag. , , , . In press.
- 1999. HARAP guidance Document: Higher-tier Aquatic Risk Assessment for Pesticides. Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry (SETAC)-Europe, Brussels, Belgium. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. “Ecologically Acceptable Concentrations” when assessing the environmental risks of pesticides under European Directive 91/414/EEC. Human and Ecological Risk Assessment 10: 733–747. , .
- 2006. Acceptability of pesticide impacts on the environment: what do United Kingdom stakeholders and the public value? Pest Manag Sci 62: 5–19. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Evaluation of ecotoxicological field studies for authorization of plant protection products in Europe. Human and Ecological Risk Assessment 11: 1157–1176. , , , .
- 2006. Workshop critical effect values for field studies with pesticides. National Institute for Public Health and the Environment. SEC report 10308a00, Bilthoven, The Netherlands. , .
- EFSA. 2006. Opinion of the scientific panel on plant health, plant protection products and their residues on a request from the EFSA related to the aquatic risk assessment for cyprodinil and the use of a mesocosm study in particular. The EFSA journal 329: 1–77.
- [EU] European Union. 1997. Council Directive 97/57/EC of September 21, 1997; Establishing annex VI to Directive 91/414/EEC Concerning the placing of plant protection products on the market. Official Journal of the European Communities L265: 87–109.
- [EU] European Union. 2002. Guidance document on aquatic toxicology in the context of the Directive 91/414/EEC. Working Document of the European Commission Health & Consumer Protection Directorate-General. Brussels, Belgium.
- 2002. Community-Level Aquatic Systems Studies—Interpretation Criteria: CLASSIC. Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry (SETAC), Pensacola, FL, USA. , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Variation, replication, and power analysis of Myriophyllum spp. Microcosm toxicity data. Environ Tox Chem 22: 1318–1329. , , .
- 1975. Secondary effects of pesticides on aquatic ecosystems. Residue Reviews 57: 81–148. .
- 2005. Effects of pesticides in the field. Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry (SETAC). Brussels, Belgium. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Pesticide studies. Replicability of micro/mesocosms. Environ Sci & Pollut Res 9: 429–435. .
- 2001. Power analysis as a reflexive scientific tool for interpretation and implementation of the precautionary principle in the European Union. Environ Sci & Pollut Res 8: 1–6. , .
- 2006. Bootstrap Confidence Intervals for Principal Response Curves. Submitted. , .
- 2005. Using the expert model PERPEST to translate measured and predicted pesticide exposure data into ecological risks. Ecological Modelling 191: 106–117. , , .
- 2006. Interpretation and extrapolation of ecological responses in model ecosystems stressed with non-persistent insecticides. [PhD Thesis]. Wageningen, The Netherlands: Wageningen University. .
- 2005. Aquatic higher-tier tests in regulatory ecotoxicology—between easy way out and dead end. Platform presentation at the 5th ECOTOX Conference, 2005 Dec 8–9, Cologne, Germany. .