Decision support–oriented selection of remediation technologies to rehabilitate contaminated sites
Version of Record online: 5 NOV 2009
Copyright © 2006 SETAC
Integrated Environmental Assessment and Management
Volume 2, Issue 3, pages 273–285, July 2006
How to Cite
Critto, A., Cantarella, L., Carlon, C., Giove, S., Petruzzelli, G. and Marcomini, A. (2006), Decision support–oriented selection of remediation technologies to rehabilitate contaminated sites. Integr Environ Assess Manag, 2: 273–285. doi: 10.1002/ieam.5630020307
- Issue online: 5 NOV 2009
- Version of Record online: 5 NOV 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 6 NOV 2005
- Manuscript Received: 8 APR 2005
- [ASTM] American Society for Testing and Materials. 1998. Standard provisional guide for risk-based corrective action. Philadelphia (PA): ASTM. PS 104–98. p 100.
- 2003 Review of decision support tools for contaminated land management and their use in Europe. A report from the Contaminated Land Rehabilitation Network for Environmental Technologies (CLARINET) by the Decision Support Tools Working Group. Vienna (AT): Federal Environment Agency. , , , , , .
- 2001. Notes on the analytical hierarchy process. In: Proceedings of the NSF Design and Manufacturing Research Conference; Tampa (FL). p 1–6. .
- 2004. Towards using comparative risk assessment to manage contaminated sites. In: LevnerE, LinkovI, ProthJM, editors, Strategic management of marine ecosystems. Amsterdam (NL): Kluwer. p 202–210. , , , , .
- 1972. Hydrogeologic aspects of Venice Lagoon. Venice, Italy. Venice (Italy): National Research Council (CNR. Lab St.Din.Gr.-Ma.). TR32 Final Report. (In Italian.) , , .
- 2003. Desyre—Decision support system for rehabilitation of contaminated sites. In: Proceedings of Consoil 2003 8th International Conference on Contaminated Soil. Gent, Belgium. Karlsruhe (DE): Forschungszentrun Karlsruhe GmbH. p 2987–2993. , , , , , .
- 1992. Consensus in distributed soft environments. Eur J Oper Res 61: 165–185. , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Effect of a contaminated site (the San Giuliano landfill, Venice, Italy) on the interaction between water bodies in a coastal aquifer system. Ann Chim 94: 303–314. , , , .
- [EC] European Commission. 1999. Directive 1999/31/EC concerning waste landfills. Gaz Ufficiale 182. July 16, 1999. p 19.
- [EC] European Commission. 2002. Towards a schematic strategy for soil protection. Brussels (Belgium): Commission of the European Communities. Communication from the Commission to the Council, the European Parliament, the Economic and Social Committee and the Committee of the regions. COM(2002)179.
- FergusonC, DarmendrailD, FreierK, JensenBK, JensenJ, KasamasH, UrzelaiA, VegterJ. editors. 1998. Risk assessment for contaminated sites in Europe. Vol 1: Scientific basis. Nottingham (UK): LQM Press. A report prepared as part of the Concerted Action on Risk Assessment for Contaminated Sites in the European Union (CARACAS). p 165.
- FergusonC, KasamasH, editors. 1999. Risk assessment for contaminated sites in Europe. Vol 2: Policy frameworks. Nottingham (UK): LQM Press. Concerted Action for Risk Assessment for Contaminated Sites in the Europe Union (CARACAS). p 223.
- [FRTR] Federal Remediation Technology Roundtable. 2002. Remediation technologies screening matrix and reference guide, 4th ed. www.frtr.gov/matrix2/ Accessed 1 February 2005.
- 1981. The lagoon of Venice: Natural environmental trend and man-induced modification. Hydrol Sci Bull 26: 379–391. , .
- 2006. Decision support system for the management of contaminated sites: A multi-criteria approach. In: KikerG, LinkovI, editors. Environmental security and environmental management: Decision analytical and risk-based approaches. Amsterdam (NL): Springer-Verlag. (forthcoming) , , , , .
- 1989. The analytic hierarchy process: Applications and studies. New York (NY): Springer-Verlag. p 265. .
- 1976. Decision with multiple objectives: Preferences and value trade-off. New York (NY): Wiley. p 589. , .
- 2004. Inconsistent and contradictory judgements in pairwise comparison method in the AHP. Comput Oper Res 31: 713–719. , .
- Law decree 471/99. 15 December 1999. Remediation of contaminated sites. Gaz Ufficiale 293. (In Italian.)
- 2004. Multi-criteria decision analysis: A framework for managing contaminated sites. In: LevnerE, LinkovI, ProthJM, editors. Strategic management of marine ecosystems. Amsterdam (NL): Kluwer. p 151–167. , , , , .
- Los Alamos National Laboratory. 1996. A compendium of cost data for environmental remediation technologies. Los Alamos (NM): LANL. LA-UR-96–2205.
- [NATO/CCMS] North Atlantic Treaty Organization/Committee on the Challenges of Modern Science. 2001. Evaluation of demonstrated and emerging technologies for the treatment of contaminated groundwater (phase III). Washington DC: USEPA. EPA-542-R-01–002. Final Report.
- 1995. Multiattribute decision analysis method for evaluation buildings and building systems. Gaithersburg (MD): National Institute of Standards and Technology, Building and Fire Research Laboratory. NISTIR 5663. Final Report. , .
- [OCETA] Ontario Centre for Environmental Technology Advancement. 2001. About remediation: Technology directory case studies. www.aboutremediation.com Accessed 01 December 2004.
- 2001. A note on the use of the analytic hierarchy process for environmental impact assessment. J Environ Manag 63: 27–35. .
- 1980. The analytic hierarchic process. New York (NY): McGraw Hill. p 287. .
- 2000. Fundamentals of decision making and priority theory with the analytic hierarchy process. Pittsburg (PA): RWS. p 477. .
- 1999. Multi-criteria decision making methods: A comparative study. London (UK): Kluwer Academic. .
- [UKEA] UK Environmental Agency. 1999. Cost & benefits analysis for remediation of land contamination. West Midlands (UK): UKEA, National Library & Information Service, Midlands Region, P 316. R&D technical report.
- [UN] United Nations. 1997. Compendium of soil cleanup technologies and remediation companies. New York (NY) and Geneva (CH): United Nations. ISBN-92–1–116677–2. p 98.
- [USEPA] US Environmental Protection Agency. 2001a. FRTR cost and performance remediation case studies and related information. Washington DC: USEPA. EPA-542-C-01–003. Technical report.
- [USEPA] US Environmental Protection Agency. 2001b. Remediation technologies cost compendium. Washington DC: EPA-542-R-01–009. Technical report.
- [USEPA] US Environmental Protection Agency. 2004. Remediation and characterization innovation technologies (EPA REACH IT). www.epareachit.org Accessed 01 July 2004.
- Venice City Council. 2001. Knowledge framework to write out the master plan for the rehabilitation of Porto Marghera contaminated site, according to the DPCM 12.02.99. Venice (IT): Council of Venice, Environmental Planning Department. (In Italian.) p 20.
- 2003. Remediation of contaminated land technology implementation in Europe. A report from the Contaminated Land Rehabilitation Network for Environmental Technologies (CLARINET) by the Remediation Technologies Working Group. Vienna (AT): Federal Environment Agency. , .
- 1992. Multicriteria decision-aid. Chichester (UK): Wiley & Sons. p 152. .