Aquatic risks of pesticides, ecological protection goals, and common aims in european union legislation
Article first published online: 5 NOV 2009
Copyright © 2006 SETAC
Integrated Environmental Assessment and Management
Volume 2, Issue 4, pages e20–e46, October 2006
How to Cite
Brock, T. C., Arts, G. H., Maltby, L. and Van den Brink, P. J. (2006), Aquatic risks of pesticides, ecological protection goals, and common aims in european union legislation. Integr Environ Assess Manag, 2: e20–e46. doi: 10.1002/ieam.5630020402
- Issue published online: 5 NOV 2009
- Article first published online: 5 NOV 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 6 FEB 2006
- Manuscript Received: 22 JUL 2005
- 2000. Uncertainty of hazardous concentrations and fraction affected for normal species sensitivity distributions. Ecotoxicol Environ Saf 46: 1–18. ,
- 2006. Ecological impact in ditch mesocosms of simulated spray drift from a crop protection programme for potatoes. Integr Environ Assess Manag 2: 105–125. , , , , , , ,
- 1989. The Daphnia bioassay: A critique. Hydrobiologia 188/189: 403–406. , , , ,
- 2004. Quantifying population recovery rates for ecological risk assessment. Environ Toxicol Chem 23: 500–508.
- 1997. Literature review and analysis of biological complexity in model stream ecosystems: Influence of size and experimental design. Ecotox Environ Saf 52: 150–171.
- 1995. Direct and indirect ecotoxicological effects of alkyl sulfate and alkyl ethoxysulfate on macroinvertebrates in stream mesocosms. Aquat Toxicol 33: 65–87. , ,
- 2001. On the state of the art: Risk communication with the public. Reliability Engineering and System Safety 71: 139–150.
- 1994. Effects of chlorpyrifos on aquatic microcosms over a range of off‒target drift exposure levels. Brighton Crop Protection Conference—Pests and Deseases‒1994 p 1367–1372. , , , , ,
- 2002. Higher‒tier laboratory methods for assessing the aquatic toxicity of pesticides. Pest Manag Sci 58: 637–648. , ,
- 2001. Risk assessment and mitigation measures for pesticides: Are all patches of freshwater habitat equal? In: Forster R, Streloke M. editors. Workshop on Risk Assessment and Risk Mitigation Measures in the Context of the Authorization of Plant Protection Products (WORMM); 1999 Sept 27–29. Mitteilungen aus der Biologischen Bundesanstalt für Land‒und Forstwirtschaft, Beriin‒Dahlem, Heft 383, p 68–72.
- 2000. Ecological risks of pesticides in freshwater ecosystems. Part 1: Herbicides. Alterra‒report 088, Wageningen, The Netherlands. 127 p. , ,
- 2000. Ecological risks of pesticides in freshwater ecosystems. Part 2: Insecticides. Alterra‒report 089, Wageningen, The Netherlands. 142 p. , ,
- 2002. Ecological risk assessment for pesticides: In: GiddingsJM, BrockTCM, HegerW, HeimbachF, MaundSJ, NormanSM, RatteHT, SchäfersC, StrelokeM, editors. Community‒level aquatic system studies—Interpretation criteria. Pensacola (FL): SETAC, p 33–41. ,
- 2004. Comparing aquatic risk assessment methods for the photosynthesis‒inhibiting herbicides metribuzin and metamitron. Environ Pollut 130: 403–426. , , , , ,
- 1984. Fate and effects of atrazine in small aquatic microcosms. Bull Environ Contam Toxicol 32: 345–353. , ,
- 1998. Ecological risk assessment: Risk for what? How do we decide? Ecotoxicol Environ Saf 40: 15–18.
- 1999. Guidance document on higher‒tier aquatic risk assessment for pesticides (HARAP). Brussels (BE): SETAC‒Europe. 179 p. , , , , , , ,
- 2000. Mesocosms in ecotoxicology. 1. Outdoor aquatic systems. Rev Environ Contam Toxicol 165: 1–38. ,
- 2004. Risk around the world: “Ecologically Acceptable Concentration” when assessing the environmental risks of pesticides under European Directive 91/414/EEC. Human Ecological Risk Assessment 10: 733–747. ,
- 2006. Acceptability of pesticide impacts on the environment: What do United Kingdom stakeholders and the public value? Pest Manag Sci 62: 5–19. , , , , , , ,
- 2000. Impact of the fungicide carbendazim in freshwater microcosms. I. Water quality, breakdown of particulate organic matter, and responses of macroinvertebrates. Aquat Toxicol 48: 233–250. , , , ,
- 2005. Evaluation of ecotoxicological field studies for authorization of plant protection products in Europe. Human Ecological Risk Assessment 11: 1157–1176. , , ,
- 1982. The responses of plankton communities in experimental ponds to atrazine, the most heavily used pesticide in the United States. Ecology 63: 1285–1293. , ,
- 1989. Use of experimental ponds to assess the effects of a pesticide on the aquatic environment. Miscellaneous Publications 75. Entom Soc Am, p 41–56. , , , ,
- 1994. Aquatic mesocosms in ecological effects testing: Detecting direct and indirect effects of pesticides. In: GraneyRL, KennedyJH, RodgersJHJr, editors. Aquatic mesocosm studies in ecological risk assessment. Boca Raton (FL): Lewis p 577–603. , , ,
- 1996. Fate and effects of the herbicide atrazine in flow‒through wetland mesocosms. Environ Toxicol Chem 15: 937–946. , , ,
- 1986. Effects of the herbicide atrazine on aquatic insect community structure and emergence. Ecology 67: 148–162.
- 2005. Ecological effects of pesticide use in The Netherlands: Modeled and observed effects in the field ditch. Integr Environ Assess Manag 1: 123–134.
- 1983. An ecological concept for the assessment of side effects of agrochemicals on soil microorganisms. Residue Reviews 86: 65–105. , ,
- 1981. Extinction. The causes and consequences of the disappearance of species. New York (NY): Random House. 305 p. ,
- 1989. Environments at risk: Case histories of impact assessment. New York (NY): Springer Verlag. 329 p.
- EU. 1997. Commission proposal for a council directive establishing Annex VI to Directive 91/414/EEC concerning the placing of plant protection products on the market. Off J Eur Comm C 240: 1–23.
- EU. 1998. Council Directive 98/83/EC on the quality of water intended for human consumption. Off J Eur Comm L 330: 32–54.
- EU. 2000a. Directive 2000/60/EC of the European parliament and of the council of 23 October 2000 establishing a framework for Community action in the field of water policy. Off J Eur Comm L 327/1. 72 p.
- EU. 2000b. Communication from the Commission on the Precautionary Principle. Brussels: European Commission. No.COM (200) 1. 29 p. p.
- EU. 2003. Technical Guidance Document on Risk Assessment in Support of Commission Directive 93/67/EECon Risk Assessment to New Notified Substances and Commission Regulation (EC) No 1488/94 on Risk Assessment for existing Substances and Directive 98/8/EC of the European Parliament and the Council concerning the placing of biocidal products on the market. Luxembourg (LU): Office for Official Publications of the European Communities. 1009 p.
- 1994. Effects of herbicide and insecticide mixture in aquatic mesocosms. Arch Environ Contam Toxicol 27: 527–533. , ,
- 1995. A comparison of the fate and effects of 2 pyrethroid insecticides (lambda‒cyhalothrin and cypermethrin) in pond mesocosms. Ecotoxicology 4: 219–244. , ,
- 2002. Species sensitivity distributions revisited: A critical appraisal. Human Ecological Risk Assessment 8: 473–492. ,
- 1999. Risk perception, social trust, and public participation into strategic decision‒making—Implications for emerging technologies. Ambio 28: 569–574.
- GiddingsJM, BrockTCM, HegerW, HeimbachF, MaundSJ, NormanS, RatteH‒T, SchäfersC, StrelokeM, editors. 2002. Community‒level aquatic system studies—Interpretation criteria. Pensacola (FL): SETAC. 44 p.
- GiddingsJM, AndersonTA, HallLW, HosmerAJ, KendallRJ, RichardsRP, SolomonKR, WilliamsWM, editors. 2005. Atrazine in North American surface waters: A probabilistic aquatic ecological risk assessment. Pensacola (FL): SETAC. 432 p.
- 1996. Response of aquatic communities from a Vermont stream to environmentally realistic atrazine exposure in laboratory microcosms. Environ Toxicol Chem 15: 410–419. ,
- 1998. Light history influences the sensitivity to atrazine in periphytic algae. J Pycol 34: 233–241. ,
- 1998. Response of a zooplankton community to insecticide application in experimental ponds: A review and the implications of the effects of chemicals on the structure and functioning of freshwater communities. Environ Pollut 101: 361–373.
- 2001. Probabilistic risk assessment for pesticides in Europe. Implementation and research needs. A Report from the European Workshop on Probabilistic Risk Assessment for the Environmental Impacts of Plant Protection Products (EUPRA). No. QLK5–2000–31035. York, (UK): Central Science Laboratory. 109 p. editor
- HillIR, HeimbachF, LeeuwanghP, MatthiessenP. editors. 1994a. Freshwater field tests for hazard assessment of chemicals. Boca Raton (FL): Lewis. 561 p.
- 1994b. Lambda‒cyhalothrin: A mesocosm study of its effects on aquatic organisms. In: GraneyRL, KennedyJH, RogersJH, editors. Aquatic mesocosm studies in ecological risk assessment. Boca Raton (FL): Lewis. p 403–467. , , ,
- 1997. Ecological consequences of biodiversity loss. Int J Sustain Dev World Ecol 4: 77–78.
- 1986. Potential impact of selected agricultural chemical contaminants on a northern prairie wetland: A microcosm evaluation. Environ Toxicol Chem 5: 473–485.
- 1995. An outdoor mesocosm study to assess ecotoxicological effects of atrazine on a natural plankton community. Arch Environ Contam Toxicol 29: 435–441. , , , ,
- 1994. Functional endpoints in field testing. In: HillIR, HeimbachF, LeeuwanghP, MatthiessenP, editors. Freshwater field tests for hazard assessment of chemicals. Boca Raton (FL): Lewis. p 57–81.
- 1987. Dietand reproductive success of bluegill recovered from experimental ponds treated with atrazine. Bull Environ Contam Toxicol 38: 47–53. , , ,
- 1984. The effect of terrestrial herbicides on the community structure of stream periphyton. Environ Pollut Ser A 36: 165–189.
- 1984. The effect of 4 terrestrial herbicides on the productivity of artificial stream algal communities. J Environ Qual 13: 75–82. ,
- 1988. Effects of herbicides on stream Aufwuchs productivity and nutrient uptake. Arch Environ Contam Toxicol 17: 299–306. , ,
- 1994. Interpreting the results of agricultural microcosm tests: Linking laboratory and experimental field results to predictions of effects in natural ecosystems. In: HillIR, HeimbachF, LeeuwanghP, MatthiessenP, editors. Freshwater field tests for hazard assessment of chemicals. Boca Raton (FL): Lewis. p 83–94.
- 1994. What do species do in ecosystems? Oikos 71: 367–374.
- 2002. Toward the derivation of quality standards for priority substances in the context of the Water Framework Directive. Identification of quality standards for priority substances in the field of water policy. Final Report. Report no. B4–3040/2000/30637/MAR/E1. Schmitten (DE): Fraunhofer Institute, Molecular Biology and Applied Ecology. 149 p.
- 1989. Theoretical and methodological reasons for variability in the responses of aquatic ecosystem processes to chemical stress. In: LevinSA, HarwellMA, KellyJR, KimballKD, editors. Ecotoxicology: Problems and approaches. New York (NY): Springer Verlag. p 145–179.
- LiessM, BrownC, DohmenP, DuquesneS, HartA, HeimbachF, KruegerJ, LagadicL, MaundS, ReinertW, StrelokeM, TarazonaJV. editors. 2005. Effects of pesticides in the field. Brussels (BE): Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry (SETAC). 136 p.
- 2002. Addressing interspecific variation in sensitivity and the potential to reduce this source of uncertainty in ecotoxicological assessments. DEFRA project code PN0932. London (UK): UK Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs. 22 p. , , ,
- 2005. Insecticide species sensitivity distributions: The importance of test species selection and relevance to aquatic ecosystems. Environ Toxicol Chem 24: 379–388. , , ,
- 2001. Effects of atrazine on periphyton under grazing pressure. Aquat Toxicol 55: 239–249. , , , ,
- 2000. Evaluation of the capacity for development of atrazine tolerance in periphyton from a Swedish freshwater site as determined by inhibition of photosynthesis and sulfolipid synthesis. Environ Toxicol Chem 19: 1324–1331. , , ,
- PosthumaL, SuterGW, TraasTP. editors. 2002. The use of species sensitivity distributions in ecotoxicology. Boca Raton (FL): Lewis. 587 p.
- 1996. Challenges in the quest for keystones. Bioscience 46: 609–620. , , , , , , , , ,
- 1988. Effects of atrazine on freshwater microbial communities. Arch Environ Contam Toxicol 17: 449–457. , , ,
- 1994. The effects of a pulsed application of chlorpyrifos on macroinvertebrate communities in an outdoor artificial stream system. Ecotoxicol Environ Saf 27: 221–250. , ,
- 2005. Effects of lambda‒cyhalothrin in 2 ditch microcosm systems of different trophic status. Environ Toxicol Chem 24: 1684–1690. , , , , ,
- 2006. Impact of triphenyltin‒acetate in microcosms simulating floodplain lakes. I. Influence of sediment quality. Ecotoxicology (forthcoming). , , , , , ,
- [SANCO] Santé des Consommateurs. 2001. FOCUS surface water scenarios in the EU evaluation process under 91/414/EEC. European Commission, Health & Consumer Protection Directorate‒General, SANCO/4802/2001 rev. 1. Brussels (BE).
- [SANCO] Santé des Consommateurs. 2002a. Guidance document on aquatic ecotoxicology in the context of the Directive 91/414/EEC. European Commission, Health & Consumer Protection Directorate‒General, SANCO/3268/2001 rev. 4 (final). Brussels (BE).
- [SANCO] Santé des Consommateurs. 2002b. Guidance document on terrestrial ecotoxicology under Council Directive 91/414/EEC. European Commission, Health & Consumer Protection Directorate‒General, SANCO/10329/2002 rev. 2 (final). Brussels (BE)
- [SANCO] Santé des Consommateurs. 2004. Landscape and mitigation factors in aquatic ecological risk assessment. Report prepared by the FOCUS Working Group on Landscape and Mitigation Factors in Ecological Risk Assessment. European Commission, Health & Consumer Protection Directorate‒General, SANCO, version 1, draft 18 June 2004. Brussels (BE).
- 2003. Why plankton communities have no equilibrium: Solutions to the paradox. Hydrobiologia 491: 9–18. , , ,
- 2004. Comparison of laboratory single species and field population‒level effects of the pyrethroid insecticide lambda‒cyhalothrin on freshwater invertebrates. Arch Environ Contam Toxicol 46: 324–335. , , , , ,
- 2004. Field studies on exposure, effects, and risk mitigation of aquatic nonpoint‒source insecticide pollution: A review. J Environ Qual 33: 419–448.
- 2001. Effects of atrazine and nicosulfuron on phytoplankton in systems of increasing complexity. Arch Environ Contam Toxicol 40: 198–208. , , , ,
- [SETAC] Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry. 1991. Guidance document on testing procedures for pesticides in freshwater mesocosms. Brussels (BE): SETAC Europe. 46 p.
- 1989. Littoral enclosures for aquatic field testing of pesticides: effects of chlorpyrifos on a natural system. Misc Pub Entomol Soc Am 75: 57–73. , , ,
- 2004. Assessing structural and functional plankton responses to carbendazim toxicity. Environ Toxicol Chem 23: 455–462. , , , ,
- 1988. Tactics, strategies, and templets. Oikos 52: 3–18.
- 1989. The effects of atrazine on microcosms developed from 4 natural plankton communities. Arch Environ Contam Toxicol 18: 866–875. , , , ,
- 2004. Biodiversity and ecosystem services in agricultural landscapes—Are we asking the right questions? Agric Ecosyst Environ 104: 113–134. , ,
- 2004. A freshwater food‒web model for the combined effects of nutrients and insecticide stress and subsequent recovery. Environ Toxicol Chem 23: 521–529. , , , ,
- 1995. Effects of chronic low concentrations of the pesticides chlorpyrifos and atrazine in indoor freshwater microcosms. Chemosphere 31: 3181–3200. , , , ,
- 1996. Effects of the insecticide Durban 4 ®E (a.i. chlorpyrifos) in outdoor experimental ditches: II. Community responses and recovery. Environ Toxicol Chem 15: 1143–1153. , , , ,
- 2000. Impact of the fungicide carbendazim in freshwater microcosms. I. Zooplankton, primary producers, and final conclusions. Aquat Toxicol 48: 251–264. , , , ,
- 2002. The value of the species sensitivity distribution concept for predicting field effects: (Non‒)confirmation of the concept using semifield experiments. In: PosthumaL, SuterGW, TraasTP, editors. The use of species sensitivity distributions in ecotoxicology. Boca Raton (FL): Lewis, p 155–193. , ,
- 2006. Predictive value of species sensitivity distributions for effects of herbicides in freshwater ecosystems. Human Ecological Risk Assessment (forthcoming). , , ,
- 2006. Persistence of plant protection products in soil; a proposal for risk assessment. Bilthoven (NL): RIVM. Report 601506008. , , , , , , ,
- 1998. Global change and multispecies agroecosystems: Concepts and issues. Agric Ecosyst Environ 67: 1–22. , , , ,
- 2004. Aquatic risk assessment of a realistic exposure to pesticides used in bulb crops: A microcosm study. Environ Toxicol Chem 23: 1479–1498. , , , , , ,
- 2005. Threshold levels of insecticides in freshwater ecosystems, a review. Ecotoxicology 14: 353–378. , ,
- 2005. Effects of chlorpyrifos in freshwater model ecosystems: do experimental conditions change ecotoxicological threshold levels? Pest Manag Sci 61: 923–935. , ,
- 2006. Ecological effects of spring and late summer applications of lambdacyhalothrin in freshwater microcosms. Arch Environ Contam Toxicol 50: 220–239. , , , ,
- 1999. Understanding single‒species and model ecosystem sensitivity: Data‒based comparison. Environ Toxicol Chem 18: 1329–1346. , ,
- 2002. How realistic are outdoor microcosms? A comparison of the biota of microcosms and natural ponds. Environ Toxicol Chem 21: 143–150. , , , , , , ,
- 2004. Seasonal variation in plankton community responses of mesocosms dosed with pentachlorophenol. Ecotoxicology 13: 707–720. , ,
- 2004. Spatial and temporal variability in the structure of invertebrate assemblages in control stream mesocosms. Water Res 38: 128–138. , , , ,