Total and inorganic arsenic in mid-atlantic marine fish and shellfish and implications for fish advisories
Version of Record online: 5 NOV 2009
Copyright © 2006 SETAC
Integrated Environmental Assessment and Management
Volume 2, Issue 4, pages 344–354, October 2006
How to Cite
Greene, R. and Crecelius, E. (2006), Total and inorganic arsenic in mid-atlantic marine fish and shellfish and implications for fish advisories. Integr Environ Assess Manag, 2: 344–354. doi: 10.1002/ieam.5630020406
- Issue online: 5 NOV 2009
- Version of Record online: 5 NOV 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 6 FEB 2006
- Manuscript Received: 23 APR 2005
- [ASMFC] Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission. 2004. ASMFC Striped Bass Tag Working Group summary of the USFWS cooperative tagging program. Repot to the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Cooperative Striped Bass Technical Committee, 13 September 2004. 27 p.
- [ATSDR] Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry. 2000. Toxicological Profile for Arsenic. Atlanta (GA): ATSDR.
- 1996. Toxicity and exposure concerns related to arsenic in seafood: An arsenic literature review for risk assessments. Seattle (WA): ICF Kaiser—Region X ESAT.
- 1989. Arsenic speciation in the environment. Chem Rev 89: 713–764. ,
- 2002. Total and toxic arsenic levels in North Sea fish. Arch Environ Contam Toxicol 43: 406–417. , , , , ,
- 2000. Contaminant levels in muscle of 4 species of recreational fish from the New York Bight Apex. Woods Hole (MA): National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. Technical Memorandum NMFS‒NE‒157. , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 1985. Habitat suitability index models: Juvenile Atlantic Croaker (revised). Washington DC: Department of the Interior. Biological Report 82(10.98). ,
- [DNREC] Delaware Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control. 2005. Laboratory data files for samples analyzed by the Delaware DNREC. Dover (DE): DNREC.
- [DNREC and DHSS] Delaware Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control and Delaware Department of Health and Social Services. 2005. State of Delaware Fish Contaminant Monitoring and Health Advisory Program, Technical Procedures for Evaluating Human Health Risks Associated with the Consumption of Chemically Contaminated Fish and Shellfish. Dover (DE): DNREC and DHSS.
- 1999. Exposure to inorganic arsenic from fish and shellfish. In: ChappellWR, AbernathyCO, CalderonRL, editors. Arsenic exposure and health effects. Amsterdam (NL): Elsevier Science. p 89–98. ,
- 1997. Arsenic compounds in a marine food chain. Fresenius J Anal Chem 359: 428–441. , , , , ,
- 2004. Modeling the effect of algal dynamics on arsenic speciation in Lake Biwa. Environ Sci Technol 38: 6716–6723. ,
- 2002. Inorganic arsenic levels in Puget Sound fish and shellfish from 303(d) listed waterbodies and other areas. Olympia (WA): Washington State Department of Ecology. ,
- [KCA] KCA Research Division, David C. Cox & Associates. 1994. Fish consumption patterns of Delaware recreational fishermen and their households. Dover (DE): Delaware Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control. Contract report.
- 2002. Tissue accumulation and distribution of arsenic compounds in 3 marine fish species: Relationship to trophic position. Appl Organomet Chem 16: 108–115. ,
- 1997. Ecotoxicology of arsenic in the marine environment—Review. Environ Toxicol Chem 16: 917–927.
- Nriagu JO, Simmons MS, editors. 1990. Food contamination from environmental sources. New York (NY): John Wiley. 785 p.
- 1990. Arsenic in aquatic organisms: A review, emphasizing chemical speciation. Aquat Toxicol 16: 151–186.
- 1999. A market basket survey of inorganic arsenic in food. Food Chem Toxicol 37: 839–846. , , , , , ,
- 2002. A review of the source, behavior, and distribution of arsenic in natural waters. Appl Geochem 17: 517–568. ,
- 1992. Annual statistical summary: EMAP—Estuaries Louisianian Province—1991. Gulf Breeze (FL): USEPA. EPA/600/R‒93/001. , , , , ,
- [USFDA] US Food and Drug Administration. 1993. Guidance document for arsenic in shellfish. Washington DC: USFDA.
- [USEPA] US Environmental Protection Agency. 1989. Risk assessment guidance for Superfund: Vol I—Human health evaluation manual (part A). Washington DC: USEPA. EPA/540/1–89/002.
- [USEPA] US Environmental Protection Agency. 1991. Risk assessment guidance for Superfund: Vol I—Human health evaluation manual (part C: Risk evaluation of remedial alternatives). OSWER Directive 9285.7–01 C. Washington DC: USEPA. EPA/540/1–89/002.
- [USEPA] US Environmental Protection Agency. 1994. Method 2008 determination of trace elements in waters and wastes by inductively coupled plasma‒mass spectrometry. Cincinnati (OH): USEPA. EPA 600/R‒94–111.
- [USEPA] US Environmental Protection Agency. 2000a. Guidance for assessing chemical contaminant data for use in fish advisories. Vol 2—Risk assessment and fish consumption limits. 3rd ed. Washington DC: USEPA. EPA823‒B‒00–008.
- [USEPA] US Environmental Protection Agency. 2000b. Guidance for assessing chemical contaminant data for use in fish advisories. Vol 1—Fish sampling and analysis. 3rd ed. Washington DC: USEPA. EPA 823‒B‒00–007.
- [USEPA] US Environmental Protection Agency. 2001. Method 1632, revision A: Chemical speciation of arsenic in water and tissue by hydride generation quartz furnace atomic absorption spectrometry. Washington DC: USEPA. EPA‒821‒R‒01–006.
- [USEPA] US Environmental Protection Agency. 2003. Survey of chemical contaminants in fish, invertebrates, and plants collected in the vicinity of Tyonek, Seldovia, Port Graham, and Nanwalek‒Cook Inlet, AK. Seattle (WA): USEPA. EPA 910‒R‒01–003.
- 1979. Fishes of the Delaware estuaries: A guide to the early life histories. Towsend (MD): EA Communications, A Division of Ecological Analysts. ,