Development and implementation of a right-to-know web site that presents estimated cancer risks for air emissions of large industrial facilities
Version of Record online: 5 NOV 2009
Copyright © 2006 SETAC
Integrated Environmental Assessment and Management
Volume 2, Issue 4, pages 365–374, October 2006
How to Cite
Ragas, A. M.J., Huijbregts, M. A.J., van Kaathoven, E. H., Wolsink, J. H. and Wemmenhove, J. (2006), Development and implementation of a right-to-know web site that presents estimated cancer risks for air emissions of large industrial facilities. Integr Environ Assess Manag, 2: 365–374. doi: 10.1002/ieam.5630020408
- Issue online: 5 NOV 2009
- Version of Record online: 5 NOV 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 10 DEC 2005
- Manuscript Received: 3 AUG 2005
- 2001. Information as a policy instrument in protecting the environment: What have we learned? Environmental Law Reporter 31: 10425–10431.
- 2001. Impact assessment with the Belgian dispersion model IFDM and the New Dutch National Model. In: Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Harmonisation within Atmospheric Dispersion Modelling for Regulatory Purposes. Belgirate (IT), p 125–129. , ,
- 1989. Communicating right‒to‒know information on chemical risks. Environ Sci Technol 23: 1444–1449.
- 1985. A review of methods for calculating statistical confidence limits in low dose extrapolation. In: ClaysonDB, KrewskiD, MunroI., editors. Toxicological risk assessment. Vol I. Biological and statistical criteria. Boca Raton (FL): CRC. p 187–203. ,
- 1989. The public understanding of science. Nature 340: 11–14. , ,
- 1995. Turbulent diffusion from tall stacks. The use of advanced boundary‒layer parameters in the Gaussian dispersion model “STACKS” [PhD thesis]. Amsterdam (NL): Free University. Graham M, Miller C. 2001. Disclosure of toxic chemicals in the United States. In: John F. Kennedy School of Government Workshop on Information‒based Environmental Policies; 2001 May 10–11; Cambridge, MA.
- 1998. Evaluating toxic impact assessment methods: What works best? Environ Sci Technol 32: 138A–145A. , ,
- 1993. Nondestructive determination of trace element speciation in coal and coal ash by XAFS spectroscopy. Energy Fuels 7: 482–489. , , , ,
- [IARC] International Agency for Research on Cancer. 2003. Complete list of agents, mixtures and exposures evaluated and their classification. http://monographs.iarc.fr/monoeval/grlist.html. Accessed 19 February 2003.
- KEMA. 1999. PC‒STACKS. An advanced computer model to calculate the dispersion of air contaminants; a new model in PC format. Ver 4.1. Arnhem (NL): KEMA [in Dutch].
- 1998. Toxics release information: A policy tool for environmental protection. J Environ Econ Manag 36: 243–266. , ,
- 1998. Informational regulation of environmental risks. Risk Anal 18: 155–170. ,
- 1999. The Visual Communication of Risk. J Natl Cancer Inst Monogr 25: 149–163. ,
- 2003. Community environmental policing: Assessing new strategies of public participation in environmental regulation. J Policy Anal Manag 22: 383–414. ,
- 2000. Uncertainty in environmental quality standards [PhD thesis]. Nijmegen (NL): Radboud University.
- 1997. Setting standards for public health and the environment. In: De KokTMCM, editor. Environmental health science. Heerlen (NL): Open University, Faculty of Science. p 13–59 [in Dutch]. ,
- [RIVM] National Institute of Public Health and the Environment. 2002. Air quality survey 2001. Bilthoven (NL): RIVM report 725301009 [in Dutch].
- 1991. Environmentalism and the right‒to‒know: Expanding the practice of democracy. Ecol Econ 4: 175–189. ,
- [SCFSC] Scientific Committee of the Food Safety Council. 1980. Quantitative risk assessment. Food Cosmet Toxicol 18: 711–734.
- 1989. Integrated criteria document chromium. Bilthoven (NL): National Institute for Public Health and the Environment (RIVM) report 758701001 [in Dutch]. , , ,
- 1989. Integrated criteria document PAHs. Bilthoven (NL): National Institute for Public Health and the Environment (RIVM) report 758474007 [in Dutch]. , , , ,
- 2001. The risk game. J Hazard Mater 86: 17–24.
- Statistics Netherlands. 2005. StatLine. http://statline.cbs.nl/StatWeb/. Accessed 11 February 2005.
- 2002. Environmental information disclosure programs: They work, but why? Soc Sci Q 83: 190–205.
- 1999. Citizen experts in environmental risk. Policy Sci 32: 39–58.
- 1998. Empowering the community: Information strategies for pollution control. In: Frontiers of Environmental Economics conference, 23–25 October 1998; Arlington (VA). http://www.worldbank.org/nipr/workpaper/ecoenv/confpap.pdf. Accessed 26 January 2006. ,
- [USEPA] US Environmental Protection Agency. 1986. Guidelines for the health risk assessment of chemical mixtures. Washington DC: EPA 630/R‒98/002.
- [USEPA] US Environmental Protection Agency. 2003. Integrated risk information system (IRIS). http://www.epa.gov/iriswebp/iris/. Accessed 19 July 2003.
- 2004. The risk of cancer in inhabitants of Weurt, the Netherlands. Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 148: 828–835 [abstract in English; article in Dutch]. , , ,
- 1993. Revision standards waterworks directive. Nieuwegein (NL): KIWA NV report SWO 93.340 [in Dutch].
- [VROM] Ministry of Housing, Spatial Planning, and the Environment. 1989. Coping with risks. The Hague (NL): SDU, House of Representatives, Year 1988–1989, 5, 21.137 [in Dutch].
- 2004. Environmental performance rating and disclosure: China's Green Watch program. J Environ Manag 71: 123–133. , , , , , ,
- [WHO] World Health Organization. 2001. Air quality guidelines for Europe. Copenhagen (DK): WHO, Regional publications, European series 91.
- 1983. Wind climate of the Netherlands. The Hague (NL): Staatsuitgeverij. 263 p [in Dutch]. ,
- 1996. Chromium valence forms of coal fly ash in the solid state and leachates. In: American Chemical Society National Meeting, Division Fuel Chemistry; 1996 Mar 24–28; New Orleans, LA. 41: 781–785. , ,