Typological review of environmental performance metrics (with illustrative examples for oil spill response)
Article first published online: 5 NOV 2009
Copyright © 2007 SETAC
Integrated Environmental Assessment and Management
Volume 3, Issue 3, pages 310–321, July 2007
How to Cite
Seager, T. P., Satterstrom, F. K., Linkov, I., Tuler, S. P. and Kay, R. (2007), Typological review of environmental performance metrics (with illustrative examples for oil spill response). Integr Environ Assess Manag, 3: 310–321. doi: 10.1002/ieam.5630030302
- Issue published online: 5 NOV 2009
- Article first published online: 5 NOV 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 16 JUL 2006
- Manuscript Received: 6 MAR 2006
- 2003. Evaluation of volume and performance of a free phase recovery system in an oil spill—Case study of an accident in Araucria, Brazil. In: Proceedings of the 2003 International Oil Spill Conference; 2003 April 6–10; Vancouver, Canada. Washington, DC: American Petroleum Institute. , , .
- 2005. Communicating about environmental indicators. J Risk Res 8: 63–75. , , .
- [CIEPM] Committee on Industrial Environmental Performance Metrics. 1999. Industrial environmental performance metrics: Opportunities and challenges. Washington DC: National Academy Press. 252 p.
- [DHS] Department of Homeland Security. 2004. National response plan. http://www.dhs.gov/interweb/assetlibrary/NRP_FullText.pdf. Accessed 20 January 2006.
- 1998. Science, values, and biodiversity. Bioscience 48: 441–444. , .
- 2005. Response velocity. In: Proceedings of the 2005 International Oil Spill Conference; 2005 May 15–19; Miami Beach, FL. Washington, DC: American Petroleum Institute. , .
- [DOE] Department of Education. 2003. The Department of Energy strategic plan. http://strategicplan.doe.gov/hires.pdf. Accessed 20 May 2005.
- [DOT] Department of Transportation. 2002. DOT performance plan—FY 2003 and performance report—FY 2001 (2002). http://www.dot.gov/performance/pdf/environment.pdf. Accessed 24 June 2005.
- 2003. Fast-water response equipment performance in two inland rivers. In: Proceedings of the 2003 International Oil Spill Conference; 2003 April 6–10; Vancouver, Canada. Washington, DC: American Petroleum Institute. , .
- 2001. Assessment of the effect of the Montreal Protocol on atmospheric ozone. Geophys Res Lett 28: 2389–2392. , , , , , , .
- [GEMI] Global Environmental Management Initiative. 1998. Measuring environmental performance: A primer and survey of metrics in use. http://www.gemi.org/MET_101.pdf. Accessed 23 January 2006.
- 1997. Decision support and organizational forms in a high velocity environment: Responses to catastrophic oil spills. In: GrabowskiMR, WallaceWA, editors. Advances in expert systems for management. Greenwich (CT): JAI. , , .
- 2002. Hierarchical metrics for sustainability. Environ Qual Manag 12: 21–30. , .
- 1999. Risk management and sustainable development: Mutual lessons from approaches to the use of indicators. J Risk Res 2: 201–218. , .
- 1995. Pollution as news: Media and stock market reactions to the Toxics Release Inventory data. J Environ Econ Manag 28: 98–113. .
- 1995. Environmental indicators: A systematic approach to measuring and reporting on environmental policy performance in the context of sustainable development. Washington DC: World Resources Institute. , , , , .
- 1994. Preparing for success: A systems approach to pollution response. Paper presented to the Five Years After the Exxon Valdez Oil Spill Conference, Anchorage Alaska. Washington, DC: Department of Engineering Management, George Washington University. .
- 1997. Evaluating the environmental impact of products and production processes: A comparison of six methods. Sci Tot Environ 196: 13–29. , , .
- 2002. Selecting human health metrics for environmental decision-support tools. Risk Anal 22: 965–983. , .
- 1995. Toxic emissions indexes for green design and inventory. Environ Sci Technol 29: A86–A90. , , , , .
- 2002. Ten years after the enactment of the Oil Pollution Act of 1990: A success or a failure. Mar Pol 26: 197–207. .
- 1997. Information as regulation: The effect of community right to know laws on toxic emissions. J Environ Econ Manag 32: 109–124. , .
- 1999. Measuring response: A balanced response scorecard for evaluating success. #319 International Oil Spill Conference. Korea Observer 30: 647–670. , .
- 1979. Skimming barrier performance evaluation: Offshore version and harbor version. In: Proceedings of the 1979 Oil Spill Conference; 1979; Los Angeles, CA. Washington, DC: American Petroleum Institute. .
- 2006. From optimization to adaptation: Shifting paradigms in environmental management and their application to remedial decisions. Integr Environ Assess Manag 2: 92–98. , , , , , .
- 2006. Multi-criteria decision analysis: Comprehensive decision analysis tool for risk management of contaminated sediments. Risk Anal 26: 61–78. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Estimated costs and admissible claims linked to the Prestige oil spill. Ecol Econ 1: 48–63. , , , .
- National Research Council. 1996. Understanding risk: Informing decisions in a democratic society. Washington DC: National Academy Press. 250 p.
- 1998. Improving the US EPA toxic release inventory database for environmental health research. J Toxicol Environ Health B Crit Rev 1: 259–270. .
- [NOAA] National Oceanic and Atmospheric Association. 2001. Characteristics of response strategies: A guide for spill response planning in marine environments. http://response.restoration.noaa.gov/book_shelf/910_response.pdf. Accessed 6 October 2006.
- [NOAA] National Oceanic and Atmospheric Association. 2004. New priorities for the 21st century: NOAA's strategic plan, Updated for FY 2005–2010. http://www.spo.noaa.gov/pdfs/NOAA%20Strategic%20Plan_pm.pdf. Accessed 24 June 2005.
- [NOAA] National Oceanic and Atmospheric Association. 2005a. The Saffir–Simpson hurricane scale. http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutsshs.shtml. Accessed 20 January 2006.
- [NOAA] National Oceanic and Atmospheric Association. 2005b. The science program for Florida Bay and adjacent marine wcosystems. http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/ocd/sferpm/scicon_synthesis/scicon_synthesis_ortner/synthintro.ppt. Accessed 17 May 2005.
- 1996. Environmental accounting. New York (NY): John Wiley. p 127–132. .
- [OECD] Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development. 1998. Towards sustainable development: Environmental indicators. Paris (FR): OECD. 244 p.
- 2001. Environmental indicators for business: A review of the literature and standardization methods. J Cleaner Prod 9: 453–463. , , , .
- [OMB] Office of Management and Budget. 2005a. Management/GPRA—Government Performance Results Act of 1993. http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/mgmt-gpra/gplaw2m.html. Accessed 17 May 2005.
- [OMB] Office of Management and Budget. 2005b. OMB circular A-11. http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/circulars/a11/current_year/s26.pdf. Accessed 17 May 2005.
- [OMB] Office of Management and Budget. 2005c. Performance measurement challenges and strategies—Draft. http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/part/challenges_strategies.html. Accessed 17 May 2005.
- 1999. Gaining respectability: Development of quantitative methods in ecosystem health. Ecosyst Health 5: 1–2. .
- 1998. Assessing ecosystem health. Trends Ecol Evol 13: 397–402. , , .
- [RIDEM] Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management. 2004. RIDEM—Emergency Response Plan. http://www.dem.ri.gov/topics/erp.htm. Accessed 20 January 2006.
- SchulzeP, editors. 1999. Measures of environmental performance and ecosystem condition. Washington DC: National Academy Press.
- 1998. Ecotoxicology: Ecological fundamentals, chemical exposure and biological effects. New York (NY): John Wiley. 936 p. , .
- 1979. Performance tests of four selected oil spill skimmers. In: Proceedings of the 1979 Oil Spill Conference 1979; Los Angeles, CA. Washington, DC: American Petroleum Institute. .
- 2004. A taxonomy of metrics for testing the industrial ecology hypotheses and application to design of freezer insulation. J Cleaner Prod 12: 865–875. , .
- 1992. The Exxon-Valdez oil spill—Ecological and social consequences. Environ Conserv 19: 253–258. .
- 2004. Technological choices for sustainability. New York (NY): Heidelberg. 441 p. , , .
- 2001. OPA effectiveness: Past, present, and future. In: Proceedings of 2001 International Oil Spill Conference. Washington, DC: American Petroleum Institute. , .
- [USEPA] US Environmental Protection Agency. 1990. Oil Pollution Act of 1990. Title 33 US Code 2702–2762. http://www.epa.gov/Region5/defs/html/opa.htm. Accessed 6 October 2006.
- [USEPA] US Environmental Protection Agency. 2002. EPCRA overview. http://yosemite.epa.gov/oswer/Ceppoweb.nsf/content/epcraOverview.htm. Accessed 17 January 2006.
- [USEPA] US Environmental Protection Agency. 2003. EPA strategic plan 2003–2008. http://www.epa.gov/ocfo/plan/2003sp.pdf. Accessed 23 June 2005.
- [USEPA] US Environmental Protection Agency. 2005a. Toxics release inventory (TRI) program. http://www.epa.gov/tri/. Accessed 17 January 2006.
- [USEPA] US Environmental Protection Agency. 2005b. Tool for the reduction and assessment of chemical and other environmental impacts. http://www.epa.gov/ORD/NRMRL/std/sab/traci/. Accessed 20 January 2006.
- [USFS] US Forest Service. 2004. USDA Forest Service strategic plan for fiscal years 2004–08. http://www.fs.fed.us/publications/strategic/fs-sp-fy04-08.pdf. Accessed 23 June 2005.
- [USFWS] US Fish and Wildlife Service. 2000. Strategic plan. http://www.fws.gov/planning/USFWStrategicPlanv3.pdf. Accessed 20 May 2005.
- 1995. Eliciting and classifying concerns: A methodological critique. Risk Anal 15: 421–436. , , , .
- 1997. Prescribing tactical response for oil spill clean up operations. Manag Sci 43: 386–402. , .
- [WMO] World Meteorological Organization. 2003. WMO scientific assessment of ozone depletion: 2002, Rep. 47, global ozone restoration and monitoring project, Geneva, Switzerland. http://www.wmo.ch/web/arep/reports/o3_assess_rep_2002_front_page.html. Accessed 25 January 2006.