Prospective study of alcohol consumption and breast cancer risk in Japanese women†
Article first published online: 18 APR 2005
Copyright © 2005 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
International Journal of Cancer
Volume 116, Issue 5, pages 779–783, 20 September 2005
How to Cite
Lin, Y., Kikuchi, S., Tamakoshi, K., Wakai, K., Kondo, T., Niwa, Y., Yatsuya, H., Nishio, K., Suzuki, S., Tokudome, S., Yamamoto, A., Toyoshima, H., Tamakoshi, A. and for the Japan Collaborative Cohort Study Group (2005), Prospective study of alcohol consumption and breast cancer risk in Japanese women. Int. J. Cancer, 116: 779–783. doi: 10.1002/ijc.20980
The present members of the JACC Study and their affiliations are as follows: Dr. A. Tamakoshi (chair), Nagoya University Graduate School of Medicine; Dr. M. Mori, Sapporo Medical University School of Medicine; Dr. Y. Motohashi, Akita University School of Medicine; Dr. I. Tsuji, Tohoku University Graduate School of Medicine; Dr. Y. Nakamura, Jichi Medical School; Dr. H. Iso, Institute of Community Medicine, University of Tsukuba; Dr. H. Mikami, Chiba Cancer Center; Dr. Y. Inaba, Juntendo University School of Medicine; Dr. Y. Hoshiyama, University of Human Arts and Sciences Graduate School; Dr. H. Suzuki, Niigata University Graduate School of Medical and Dental Sciences; Dr. H. Shimizu, Gifu University School of Medicine; Dr. H. Toyoshima, Nagoya University Graduate School of Medicine; Dr. S. Tokudome, Nagoya City University Graduate School of Medicine; Dr. Y. Ito, Fujita Health University School of Health Sciences; Dr. S. Hashimoto, Fujita Health University School of Medicine; Dr. S. Kikuchi, Aichi Medical University School of Medicine; Dr. K. Wakai, Aichi Cancer Center Research Institute; Dr. A. Koizumi, Graduate School of Medicine and Faculty of Medicine, Kyoto University; Dr. T. Kawamura, Kyoto University Center for Student Health; Dr. Y. Watanabe and Dr. T. Miki, Kyoto Prefectural University of Medicine Graduate School of Medical Science; Dr. C. Date, Faculty of Human Environmental Sciences, Mukogawa Women's University; Dr. K. Sakata, Wakayama Medical University; Dr. T. Nose, Tottori University Faculty of Medicine; Dr. N. Hayakawa, Research Institute for Radiation Biology and Medicine, Hiroshima University; Dr. T. Yoshimura, Institute of Industrial Ecological Sciences, University of Occupational and Environmental Health; Dr. A. Shibata, Kurume University School of Medicine; Dr. N. Okamoto, Kanagawa Cancer Center; Dr. H. Shio, Moriyama Municipal Hospital; Dr. Y. Ohno (former chair), Asahi Rosai Hospital; Dr. T. Kitagawa, Cancer Institute of the Japanese Foundation for Cancer Research; Dr. T. Kuroki, Gifu University; and Dr. K. Tajima, Aichi Cancer Center Research Institute. Past investigators of the study group were listed in reference 23 except for the following 8 (affiliations are those at the time they participated in the study): Dr. T. Shimamoto, Institute of Community Medicine, University of Tsukuba; Dr. H. Tanaka, Medical Research Institute, Tokyo Medical and Dental University; Dr. S. Hisamichi, Tohoku University Graduate School of Medicine; Dr. M. Nakao, Kyoto Prefectural University of Medicine; Dr. T. Suzuki, Research Institute, Osaka Medical Center for Cancer and Cardiovascular Diseases; Dr. T. Hashimoto, Wakayama Medical University; Dr. T. Ishibashi, Asama General Hospital; and Dr. K. Fukuda, Kurume University School of Medicine.
- Issue published online: 20 JUL 2005
- Article first published online: 18 APR 2005
- Manuscript Accepted: 8 DEC 2004
- Manuscript Received: 28 JUL 2004
- Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology of Japan. Grant Numbers: 14031222, 61010076, 62010074, 63010074, 1010068, 2151065, 3151064, 4151063, 5151069, 6279102, 11181101
- 2World Cancer Research Fund in association with American Institute for Cancer Research. Food, nutrition, and the prevention of cancer: a global perspective. Washington, D.C.: American Institute for Cancer Research, 1997.
- 17Collaborative Group on Hormonal Factors in Breast Cancer. Alcohol, tobacco and breast cancer—collaborative reanalysis of individual data from 53 epidemiological studies, including 58515 women with breast cancer and 95067 women without disease. Br J Cancer 2002; 87: 1234–45.
- 20Risk factors for breast cancer among Japanese women in Tokyo: a case-control study. J Epidemiol 1994; 4: 65–71., , , , , , .
- 22Life-style and cancer: from epidemiological evidence to public behavior change to mortality reduction of target cancers. J Natl Cancer Inst Monogr 1992; 12: 65–74..
- 24ParkinDM, WhelanSL, FerlayJ, TeppoL, ThomasDB, eds. Cancer incidence in five continents. vol. 8. Lyon: IARC Sci Publ 155, 2002.
- 25Regression models and life-tables. J R Stat Soc 1972; 34: 187–220..
- 42Japan Public Health Center-Based Prospective Study Group. Alcohol consumption, smoking and subsequent risk of colorectal cancer in middle-aged and elderly Japanese men and women: Japan Public Health Center-Based Prospective Study. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2003; 12: 1492–500., , , , , , ,
- 44Health and Welfare Statistics Association. Alcohol. J Health Welfare Stat 2000; 9( Suppl): 91–3.