Early Detection and Diagnosis
Monitoring a national cancer prevention program: Successful changes in cervical cancer screening in the netherlands
Version of Record online: 27 NOV 2006
Copyright © 2006 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
International Journal of Cancer
Volume 120, Issue 4, pages 806–812, 15 February 2007
How to Cite
Rebolj, M., van Ballegooijen, M., Berkers, L.-M. and Habbema, D. (2007), Monitoring a national cancer prevention program: Successful changes in cervical cancer screening in the netherlands. Int. J. Cancer, 120: 806–812. doi: 10.1002/ijc.22167
- Issue online: 27 DEC 2006
- Version of Record online: 27 NOV 2006
- Manuscript Accepted: 7 JUN 2006
- Manuscript Received: 9 JAN 2006
- National Health Insurance Council (College voor Zorgverzekeringen). Grant Number: 530/003/2002
- 1The Council of the European Union. Council recommendation of 2 December 2003 on cancer screening. Off J Eur Union 2003; 46: 34–8.
- 2Breast cancer screening programmes in 22 countries: current policies, administration and guidelines. International Breast Cancer Screening Network (IBSN) and the European Network of Pilot Projects for Breast Cancer Screening. Int J Epidemiol 1998; 27: 735–42., , , , , , , , , .
- 7Large-scale randomized prostate cancer screening trials: program performances in the European randomized screening for prostate cancer trial and the prostate, lung, colorectal and ovary cancer trial. Int J Cancer 2002; 97: 237–44., , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 16National results of cervix cytology diagnosis in 1992; efficacy of screening could be improved (in Dutch). Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 1994; 138: 1325–30., , .
- 17Survey into bottlenecks of the organised cervical cancer screening programme (in Dutch). KPMG, Amstelveen, The Netherlands, 1990., , .
- 18Cervical cancer screening programme: age ranges and intervals. An updated cost-effectiveness analysis (in Dutch). Department of Public Health, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Rotterdam, The Netherlands, 1993., , , , , .
- 20Organised cervical cancer screening programme (in Dutch). Rijswijk, The Netherlands, 1991. [Letter of the Ministry of Welfare, Public Health and Cultural Affairs, 18 April 1991 (PEP/GZ 001027)]..
- 21National Health Insurance Council. Starting points for the restructuring of the organised cervical cancer screening programme—Final decision (in Dutch). ZiekenfondsRaad, Amstelveen, The Netherlands, 1993.
- 24Dutch Association of Pathologists. CISOE-A in pictures (in Dutch). CD-Rom. In: Hanselaar AGJM, ed. Nijmegen, The Netherlands: University Medical center Nijmegen, 1997.
- 25A repeat advice no longer applies for cervical smears without endocervical cells in population studies for cervical cancer (in Dutch). Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 2002; 146: 1578–80., , , .
- 27PALGA. Description of the PALGA system and computer network (in Dutch). Utrecht, The Netherlands, 2004. Available at http://www.palga.nl.
- 30Central Bureau of Statistics. Population: age, sex, marital status per January 1st (in Dutch). Centraal Bureau voor de Statistiek, Voorburg/Heerlen, The Netherlands, 2005. Available at http://statline.cbs.nl.
- 31Prismant. LMR data on hospital admissions 1975–2000. Utrecht, The Netherlands, 2003.
- 43World Health Organisation. WHO Statistical Information System—Mortality database. World Health Organisation, Geneva, 2004. Available at http://www.depdb.iarc.fr/who/menu.htm; Last updated: Dec 2004.
- 46Cancer Registry Finland. Screening for cervical cancer in 2002. Available at http://www.cancerregistry.fi/v2002/v200200kohtu.html. (last updated 2005).
- 47Department of Health. Cervical Screening Programme, England: 2003–04. Statistical Bulletin. Department of Health, London, 2004. Available at www.publications.doh.gov.uk/public/sb0420.pdf.
- 49Standard of the Dutch College of GPs concerning cervical smears (1st revision, in Dutch). Huisarts Wet 1996; 39: 134–41., , , , .
- 50National Institute for Clinical Excellence (NICE). Guidance on the use of liquid-based cytology for cervical screening. National Institute for Clinical Excellence, London, UK, 2003. Technology Appraisal 69.
- 51Describing health and medical costs, and the economic evaluation of health care: applications in injuries and cervical cancer (Thesis). Department of Public Health Rotterdam, Erasmus MC, 2004..
- 54Guidelines on organised cervical cancer screening programme (in Dutch). Ned Tijdschr Obstet Gynaecol 1998; 111: 264, 265., .
- 56Organised cervical cancer screening programme practice in the Netherlands in 1996 and 1997 (in Dutch). Department of Public Health, Erasmus University, Rotterdam, The Netherlands, 2000., , , , , , , , .