Infectious Causes of Cancer
The spectrum of human immunodeficiency virus-associated cancers in a South African black population: Results from a case–control study, 1995–2004
Article first published online: 1 FEB 2008
Copyright © 2008 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
International Journal of Cancer
Volume 122, Issue 10, pages 2260–2265, 15 May 2008
How to Cite
Stein, L., Urban, M. I., O'Connell, D., Yu, X. Q., Beral, V., Newton, R., Ruff, P., Donde, B., Hale, M., Patel, M. and Sitas, F. (2008), The spectrum of human immunodeficiency virus-associated cancers in a South African black population: Results from a case–control study, 1995–2004. Int. J. Cancer, 122: 2260–2265. doi: 10.1002/ijc.23391
- Issue published online: 17 MAR 2008
- Article first published online: 1 FEB 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 14 NOV 2007
- Manuscript Received: 30 JUL 2007
- Medical Research Council of South Africa
- University of the Witwatersrand
- National Health Laboratory Service
- 1Centers for Disease Control. 1993 revised classification system for HIV infection and expanded surveillance case definition for AIDS among adolescents and adults. MMWR Recomm Rep1992; 41: 1–19.
- 2International Agency for Research on Cancer. Monographs on the evaluation of carcinogenic risks to humans.Human immunodeficiency viruses and human T-cell lymphotrophic viruses, vol. 67. Lyon: IARC, 1994.
- 10Cancer in Africa. Epidemiology and prevention. Lyon: International Agency for Research on Cancer, 2004., , , , , .
- 12UNAIDS. Report on the global AIDS epidemic. Geneva: UNAIDS, 2006.
- 13Republic of South Africa. Department of Health. National HIV and syphilis seroprevalence survey of women attending public antenatal clinics in South Africa 2000. Pretoria: Department of Health, 2000.
- 14Republic of South Africa. Department of Health. National HIV and syphilis antenatal prevalence survey, South Africa 2005. Pretoria: Department of Health 2006.
- 15South African national HIV prevalence, HIV incidence, behaviour and communications survey. Cape Town: Human Sciences Research Council, 2005., , , , , , , , , et al.
- 16Adult mortality (age 15-64) based on death notification data in South Africa: 1997–2004. Report No. 03-09-05. Pretoria: Statistics South Africa, 2006., .
- 17Actuarial Society of South Africa. ASSA 2003 AIDS and demographic model. Cape Town: Actuarial Society of South Africa, 2005.
- 18Medical Research Council. South African national burden of disease study 2000. Cape Town, Medical Research Council, 2005.
- 20The impact of HIV/AIDS on adult mortality in South Africa. Cape Town: Medical Research Council, 2001., , , , .
- 21International classification of diseases for oncology, 2nd edn. Geneva: World Health Organization, 1990., , .
- 22Incidence of histologically diagnosed cancer in South Africa 1998–1999. Johannesburg: National Cancer Registry, National Health Laboratory Service, 2004., , , .
- 25Incidence of histologically diagnosed cancer in South Africa 1988. Johannesburg: National Cancer Registry, South African Institute for Medical Research, 1992..