Trends in esophageal cancer incidence by histology, United States, 1998–2003†
Article first published online: 10 JUN 2008
Published 2008 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
International Journal of Cancer
Volume 123, Issue 6, pages 1422–1428, 15 September 2008
How to Cite
Trivers, K. F., Sabatino, S. A. and Stewart, S. L. (2008), Trends in esophageal cancer incidence by histology, United States, 1998–2003. Int. J. Cancer, 123: 1422–1428. doi: 10.1002/ijc.23691
This article is a US Government work and, as such, is in the public domain in the United States of America.
- Issue published online: 16 JUL 2008
- Article first published online: 10 JUN 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 16 APR 2008
- Manuscript Received: 17 JAN 2008
- Research Participation Program at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) [Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education]
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's National Program of Cancer Registries
- 1American Cancer Society. Cancer facts & figures 2007. Atlanta: American Cancer Society, 2007.
- 9Marked multi-ethnic variation of esophageal and gastric cardia carcinomas within the United States. Am J Gastroenterol 2004; 99: 582–8., .Direct Link:
- 18Building the infrastructure for nationwide cancer surveillance and control—a comparison between the National Program of Cancer Registries (NPCR) and the Surveillance. Epidemiology, and End Results (SEER) Program (United States). Cancer Causes Control 2003; 14: 175–93., , , , , , , .
- 21U.S. Cancer Statistics Working Group. United States Cancer Statistics: 1999–2002 Incidence and Mortality Web-based Report Version. Atlanta: Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and National Cancer Institute, 2005.Available at: www.cdc.gov/cancer/npcr/uscs/. Accessed January 8, 2007.
- 22U.S. Cancer Statistics Working Group. United States Cancer Statistics: 1999 Incidence. Atlanta, GA: Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and National Cancer Institute, 2002.
- 23World Health Organization. International classification of diseases for oncology, 3rd edn. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization, 2000.
- 24World Health Organization. International classification of diseases for oncology, 2nd edn. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization, 1990.
- 25National Cancer Institute. Conversion programs, ICD-O-2 to 3 and ICD-O-3 to 2 Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results (SEER) Program, 2004. Bethesda, MD: National Cancer Institute, 2007.
- 26SEER Summary staging manual 2000. Bethesda, MD: National Cancer Institute, 2000., , , , .
- 27Summary staging guide for the cancer surveillance, epidemiology, and end results reporting (SEER) program. US Department of Health and Human Services: Washington, DC, 1977., , .
- 28Site-specific comparison of summary stage 1977 and summary stage 2000 coding. [Internet] 2007 [cited 2007 January 8]; Available from: http://www.naaccr.org/index.asp?Col_SectionKey=11&Col_ContentID=397., , , , .
- 29Standards for cancer registries, Volume II:Data standards and data dictionary, 10th ed., Version 11ed. Springfield, IL: North American Association of Central Cancer Registries, 2004., .
- 31NAACCR Latino Research Work Group. NAACCR Guideline for Enhancing Hispanic/Latino Identification: Revised NAACCR Hispanic/Latino Identification Algorithm [NHIA v2]. Springfield, IL: North American Association of Central Cancer Registries, 2005.
- 33Evaluation of NHIA submissions for 1997–2001. Springfield, IL: North American Association of Central Cancer Registries, 2005..
- 34Cancer in North America, 1999–2003. vol. 3:NAACCR Combined Incidence. Springfield, IL: North American Association of Central Cancer Registries, 2006., , , , , , , , , , .
- 35Surveillance Research Program, National Cancer Institute, SEER*Stat software version 6.2.4. Available at: www.seer.cancer.gov/seerstat.
- 36Occurrence of esophageal and gastric cancer in Alaska Natives, 1969–2003. Alaska Med 2006; 48: 2–11., , , .
- 37Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results (SEER) Program (www.seer.cancer.gov) SEER*Stat Database: Incidence-SEER 9 Regs Limited-Use, Nov 2005 Sub (1973–2003)-Linked To County Attributes-Total U.S., 1969–2003 Counties, National Cancer Institute, DCCPS, Surveillance Research Program, Cancer Statistics Branch, released April 2006, based on the November 2005 submission.
- 40National Center for Health Statistics. Health, United States, 2004 With Chartbook on Trends in the Health of Americansed. Hyattsville, MD: National Center for Health Statistics, 2004.
- 42Public health strategies for preventing and controlling overweight and obesity in school and worksite settings: a report on recommendations of the Task Force on Community Preventive Services. MMWR Recomm Rep 2005; 54: 1–12., , , , , , , .
- 43Quality of death rates by race and Hispanic origin: a summary of current research, 1999. Vital Health Stat 2 1999: 1–13., , , , , , , .