Early Detection and Diagnosis
No increased risk for cervical cancer after a broader definition of a negative Pap smear†
Article first published online: 2 SEP 2008
Copyright © 2008 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
International Journal of Cancer
Volume 123, Issue 11, pages 2632–2635, 1 December 2008
How to Cite
Rebolj, M., van Ballegooijen, M., van Kemenade, F., Looman, C., Boer, R. and Habbema, J. D. F. (2008), No increased risk for cervical cancer after a broader definition of a negative Pap smear. Int. J. Cancer, 123: 2632–2635. doi: 10.1002/ijc.23803
Conflict of Interest: Marjolein van Ballegooijen, Dik Habbema, Matejka Rebolj: The Department of Public Health of the Erasmus MC received a grant from GSK, a manufacturer of an HPV vaccine, for research on the cost-effectiveness of HPV vaccination in 2007 and 2008. This research and manuscript were neither funded nor supported by GSK. Rob Boer has been participating since 1989 in the screening research group at the Department of Public Health of the Erasmus MC. He has been affiliated with RAND since 2000. Since 2007, he has been a Director of Evidence Based Strategies - Disease Modeling and Economic Evaluation at Pfizer, which develops and sells various medicines for cancer and other diseases. This research and manuscript were neither funded nor supported by Pfizer.
- Issue published online: 24 SEP 2008
- Article first published online: 2 SEP 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 30 MAY 2008
- Manuscript Received: 8 MAY 2008
- Dutch National Institute for Public Health and the Environment (RIVM). Grant Number: 3022/07 DG MS/CvB/NvN
- 1Globocan 2002: Cancer incidence, mortality and prevalence worldwide. IARC Cancerbase No. 5, version 2.0. Lyon: IARC, 2004., , , .
- 3Australian Government–Department of Health and Ageing. Pap test register. 2007. Available at www.breastscreen.info.au/internet/screening/publishing.nsf/Content/register (accessed December 6, 2007).
- 5Cancer Registry Finland. Screening for cervical cancer in 2005. 2007. Available at www.cancerregistry.fi/jostats/eng/veng0038k2.html (accessed December 5, 2007).
- 6NHS Cancer Screening Programmes. Annual Review 2006: NHS Cervical Screening Programme. 2007.
- 8BC Cancer Agency–Cervical Cancer Screening Program, 2004 Annual Report. 2004. Available at www.bccancer.bc.ca/NR/rdonlyres/34F5A494-73CD-4A7C-908A-D34F9E7B1F09/20587/2004ccsp_annual_reportFinal.pdf (accessed December 6, 2007).
- 11[The 1996 revision of the Dutch cervical cancer screening programme: increased coverage, fewer repeat smears and less opportunistic screening] Herziening bevolkingsonderzoek op baarmoederhalskanker 1996: hogere dekkingsgraad, minder herhalingsuitstrijkjes en minder opportunistische screening. Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 2007; 151: 1288–94., , , , , , .
- 12Dutch Association of Pathologists. CISOE-A in pictures (in Dutch). CD-Rom. In: HanselaarAGJM, ed. Nijmegen, The Netherlands: University Medical center Nijmegen, 1997.
- 14NHSCSP, Achievable standards, benchmarks for reporting, and criteria for evaluating cervical cytopathology. NHS Cancer Screening Programmes, 2000.
- 19Prismant. Dutch Network and National Database for Pathology (PALGA): results of retrieval action of cervix uteri tests until 31-03-2007. Utrecht: Prismant, 2007.
- 20PALGA. Description of the PALGA system and computer network, in Dutch. Utrecht, The Netherlands, 2004. Available at www.palga.nl.
- 23Guidelines for the cervical cancer screening programme (In Dutch). Ned Tijdschr Obstet Gynaecol 1998; 111: 264–5., .
- 24Regression modelling strategies with applications to linear models, logistic regression, and survival analysis. New York: Springer, 2001..
- 25Dutch Comprehensive Cancer Centres. Cancer Registry Online: Core indicators, Dutch. Available at www.ikcnet.nl (accessed 2006–2008).
- 27Government Statistical Office, The Information Centre, Cervical Screening Programme, 2005-06, England, 2007.
- 30[New version of the pathology practice guideline for cervical cytology: sharpened criteria for adequacy; expanded use of new techniques] Nieuwe versie van de pathologiepraktijkrichtlijn voor cervixcytologisch onderzoek: criteria voor adequaatheid aangescherpt; gebruik van nieuwe technieken verruimd. Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 2007; 151: 1283–6., , .