Increased intratumoral regulatory T cells are related to intratumoral macrophages and poor prognosis in hepatocellular carcinoma patients
Version of Record online: 4 MAY 2009
Copyright © 2009 UICC
International Journal of Cancer
Volume 125, Issue 7, pages 1640–1648, 1 October 2009
How to Cite
Zhou, J., Ding, T., Pan, W., Zhu, L.-y., Li, L. and Zheng, L. (2009), Increased intratumoral regulatory T cells are related to intratumoral macrophages and poor prognosis in hepatocellular carcinoma patients. Int. J. Cancer, 125: 1640–1648. doi: 10.1002/ijc.24556
- Issue online: 24 JUL 2009
- Version of Record online: 4 MAY 2009
- Accepted manuscript online: 4 MAY 2009 12:00AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 23 APR 2009
- Manuscript Received: 6 OCT 2008
- NSFC (Outstanding Young Scientist Fund and project). Grant Numbers: 30425025, 30730086
- The Ministry of Health of P. R. China. Grant Number: 2008ZX10002-019
- 1Hepatocellular carcinoma. Lancet 2003; 362: 1907–17., , .
- 2Rising incidence of hepatocellular carcinoma in the United States. New Engl J Med 1999; 340: 745–50., .
- 3Prognostic prediction and treatment strategy in hepatocellular carcinoma. Hepatology 2002; 35: 519–24., .
- 4Clinical cancer advances 2007: major research advances in cancer treatment, prevention, and screening–a report from the American Society of Clinical Oncology. J Clin Oncol 2008; 26: 313–25., , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 5Dendritic cell-based immunotherapy for hepatocellular carcinoma. J Gastroenterol 2001; 36: 794–7., , .
- 6Treatment of non-resectable hepatocellular carcinoma with autologous tumor-pulsed dendritic cells. J Gastroen Hepatol 2002; 17: 889–96., , , , , , , , , , , .
- 7Adoptive immunotherapy to lower postsurgical recurrence rates of hepatocellular carcinoma: a randomised trial. Lancet 2000; 356: 802–7., , , , , , , , , , .
- 8Immunosuppressive networks in the tumour environment and their therapeutic relevance. Nat Rev Cancer 2005; 5: 263–74..
- 9Regulatory CD4(+)CD25(+) T cells in tumors from patients with early-stage non-small cell lung cancer and late-stage ovarian cancer. Cancer Res 2001; 61: 4766–72., , , , , , , , .
- 10Specific recruitment of regulatory T cells in ovarian carcinoma fosters immune privilege and predicts reduced survival. Nat Med 2004; 10: 942–9., , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 11CD4(+)CD25high regulatory T cells increase with tumor stage in patients with gastric and esophageal cancers. Cancer Immunol Immunother 2006; 55: 1064–71., , , , , , , .
- 12Induction of tumor immunity by removing CD25+CD4+ T cells: a common basis between tumor immunity and autoimmunity. J Immunol 1999; 163: 5211–18., , .
- 13Depletion of CD25(+) CD4(+) T cells and treatment with tyrosinase-related protein 2-transduced dendritic cells enhance the interferon alpha-induced. CD8(+) T-cell-dependent immune defense of. B16 melanoma. Cancer Res 2001; 61: 8643–6., , , , .
- 14Metronomic cyclophosphamide regimen selectively depletes CD4+CD25+ regulatory T cells and restores T and NK effector functions in end stage cancer patients. Cancer Immunol Immunother 2007; 56: 641–8., , , , , , , , , .
- 15Depletion of CD4+CD25+ human regulatory T cells in vivo: kinetics of Treg depletion and alterations in immune functions in vivo and in vitro. Int J Cancer 2007; 120: 2723–33., , , , , , , , , , .
- 16Increased populations of regulatory T cells in peripheral blood of patients with hepatocellular carcinoma. Cancer Res 2005; 65: 2457–64., , , , , .
- 17Compromised lymphocytes infiltrate hepatocellular carcinoma: the role of T-regulatory cells. Hepatology 2005; 41: 722–30., , , , , , , .
- 18Increase of CD4+CD25+ regulatory T-cells in the liver of patients with hepatocellular carcinoma. J Hepatol 2006; 45: 254–62., , , , , , , , , .
- 19Increased regulatory T cells correlate with CD8 T-cell impairment and poor survival in hepatocellular carcinoma patients. Gastroenterology 2007; 132: 2328–39., , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 20FOXP3+ regulatory T cells affect the development and progression of hepatocarcinogenesis. Clin Cancer Res 2007; 13: 902–11., , , , , , , .
- 21Tumour lymphocytic infiltrate and recurrence of hepatocellular carcinoma following liver transplantation. J Hepatol 2006; 45: 246–53., , , , , , , , .
- 22Intratumoral balance of regulatory and cytotoxic T cells is associated with prognosis of hepatocellular carcinoma after resection. J Clin Oncol 2007; 25: 2586–93., , , , , , , , .
- 23Regulatory T cells, tumour immunity and immunotherapy. Nat Rev Immunol 2006; 6: 295–307..
- 24Hepatoma cells inhibit the differentiation and maturation of dendritic cells and increase the production of regulatory T cells. Immunol Lett 2007; 114: 38–45., , , .
- 25Tumor-derived hyaluronan induces formation of immunosuppressive macrophages through transient early activation of monocytes. Blood 2007; 110: 587–95., , , , , .
- 26Tumor-educated tolerogenic dendritic cells induce CD3epsilon down-regulation and apoptosis of T cells through oxygen-dependent pathways. J Immunol 2008; 181: 3089–98., , , , , .
- 27Tumour-educated macrophages promote tumour progression and metastasis. Nat Rev Cancer 2004; 4: 71–8..
- 28Distinct role of macrophages in different tumor microenvironments. Cancer Res 2006; 66: 605–12., .
- 29Isolation of lymphocytes from normal adult human liver suitable for phenotypic and functional characterization. J Immunol Methods 2000; 242: 21–31., , , , , , , , , .
- 30Kupffer cells and macrophages are not required for hepatic hepcidin activation during iron overload. Hepatology 2005; 41: 545–52., , , , , , , , , , .
- 31Toll-like receptor 3 ligand attenuates LPS-induced liver injury by down-regulation of toll-like receptor 4 expression on macrophages. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2005; 102: 17077–82., , , .
- 32Antigen-presenting function of the macrophage. Annu Rev Immunol 1984; 2: 395–428..
- 33CD4+CD25+ regulatory T cells and their therapeutic potential. Annu Rev Med 2006; 57: 381–402., .
- 34Induction of FoxP3 and acquisition of T regulatory activity by stimulated human CD4+CD25− T cells. J Clin Invest 2003; 112: 1437–43., , , , , , .
- 35Human regulatory T cells: a unique, stable thymic subset or a reversible peripheral state of differentiation? Immunol Lett 2007; 114: 9–15., .
- 36Follicular lymphoma B cells induce the conversion of conventional CD4+ T cells to T-regulatory cells. Int J Cancer 2009; 124: 239–44., , , , , .
- 37Tumor cells convert immature myeloid dendritic cells into TGF-beta-secreting cells inducing CD4+CD25+ regulatory T cell proliferation. J Exp Med 2005; 202: 919–29., , , , , , , , , .
- 38A CD4+ T-cell subset inhibits antigen-specific T-cell responses and prevents colitis. Nature 1997; 389: 737–42., , , , , , .
- 39Cutting edge: induction of B7-H4 on APCs through IL-10: novel suppressive mode for regulatory T cells. J Immunol 2006; 177: 40–4., , , , , , , .
- 40A new population of myeloid-derived suppressor cells in hepatocellular carcinoma patients induces CD4(+)CD25(+)Foxp3(+) T cells. Gastroenterology 2008; 135: 234–43., , , , , , , .