Anti-inflammatory effects of caffeic acid phenethyl ester (CAPE), a nuclear factor-κB inhibitor, on Helicobacter pylori-induced gastritis in Mongolian gerbils
Version of Record online: 18 MAY 2009
Copyright © 2009 UICC
International Journal of Cancer
Volume 125, Issue 8, pages 1786–1795, 15 October 2009
How to Cite
Toyoda, T., Tsukamoto, T., Takasu, S., Shi, L., Hirano, N., Ban, H., Kumagai, T. and Tatematsu, M. (2009), Anti-inflammatory effects of caffeic acid phenethyl ester (CAPE), a nuclear factor-κB inhibitor, on Helicobacter pylori-induced gastritis in Mongolian gerbils. Int. J. Cancer, 125: 1786–1795. doi: 10.1002/ijc.24586
- Issue online: 19 AUG 2009
- Version of Record online: 18 MAY 2009
- Accepted manuscript online: 18 MAY 2009 12:00AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 27 APR 2009
- Manuscript Received: 19 NOV 2008
- Third-term Comprehensive 10-year Strategy for Cancer Control
- Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare, Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology
- 1The two NF-κB activation pathways and their role in innate and adaptive immunity. Trends Immunol. 2004; 25: 280–8., .
- 2Inflammation and cancer. Nature 2002; 420: 860–7., .
- 3NF-κB inhibitors for the treatment of inflammatory diseases and cancer. Curr Med Chem 2007; 14: 367–76., , .
- 4NF-κB activation in development and progression of cancer. Cancer Sci 2007; 98: 268–74., , , .
- 5Naturally occurring and synthetic inhibitors of NF-κB functions. Anticancer Drug Des 2000; 15: 239–44., , .
- 6Can NF-κB be a target for novel and efficient anti-cancer agents? Biochem Pharmacol 2006; 72: 1054–68., , .
- 7Caffeic acid phenethyl ester is a potent and specific inhibitor of activation of nuclear transcription factor NF-κB. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 1996; 93: 9090–5., , , , .
- 8Preferential cytotoxicity on tumor cells by caffeic acid phenethyl ester isolated from propolis. Experientia 1988; 44: 230–2., , , , , , , .
- 9Caffeic acid phenethyl ester modulates Helicobacter pylori-induced nuclear factor-kappa B and activator protein-1 expression in gastric epithelial cells. Br J Pharmacol 2005; 146: 1139–47., , , , .
- 10Caffeic acid phenethyl ester decreases acute pneumonitis after irradiation in vitro and in vivo. BMC Cancer 2005; 5: 158–66., , , , , .
- 11Plant phenolics decrease intestinal tumors in an animal model of familial adenomatous polyposis. Carcinogenesis 2000; 21: 921–7., , , , , , , .
- 12Chemoprotective effect of caffeic acid phenethyl ester on promotion in a medium-term rat hepatocarcinogenesis assay. Int J Cancer 2004; 108: 488–92., , , , , .
- 13Helicobacter pylori infection and the development of gastric cancer. N Engl J Med 2001; 345: 784–9., , , , , , , , .
- 14IARC Working Group on the Evaluation of Carcinogenic Risks to Humans. Infection with Helicobacter pylori. In:Schistosomes, Liver Flukes and Helicobacter pylori, IARC Monographs on the Evaluation of Carcinogenic Risks to Humans, vol. 61. Lyon, World Health Organization/International Agency for Research on Cancer, 1994. 177–241.
- 15Current concepts in the management of Helicobacter pylori infection: the Maastricht III Consensus Report. Gut 2007; 56: 772–81., , , , , , , , , .
- 16Helicobacter pylori and antimicrobial resistance: molecular mechanisms and clinical implications. Lancet Infect Dis 2006; 6: 699–709., , , .
- 17Helicobacter pylori infection activates. NF-κB in gastric epithelial cells. Gastroenterology 1997; 113: 1099–109., , , .
- 18H. pylori activates NF-κB through a signaling pathway involving IκB kinases. NF-κB-inducing kinase. TRAF2, and TRAF6 in gastric cancer cells. Gastroenterology 2000; 119: 97–108., , , , , , , , .
- 19Gastric mucosal cytokine and epithelial cell responses to Helicobacter pylori infection in Mongolian gerbils. J Pathol 2004; 202: 197–207., , , , , .
- 20Natural history of gastric mucosal cytokine expression in Helicobacter pylori gastritis in Mongolian gerbils. Infect Immun 2005; 73: 2205–12., , , , , , , , .
- 21Inhibition of proinflammatory cytokine expression by NF-κB (p65) antisense oligonucleotide in Helicobacter pylori-infected mice. Helicobacter 2005; 10: 559–66., , , , .
- 22Virulence factors of Helicobacter pylori responsible for gastric diseases in Mongolian gerbil. J Exp Med 2000; 192: 1601–10., , , , , , , , .
- 23Predictive role of nuclear factor-κB activity in gastric cancer: a promising adjuvant approach with caffeic acid phenethyl ester. J Clin Gastroenterol 2007; 41: 894–900., , , .
- 24Stem cells and gastric cancer: role of gastric and intestinal mixed intestinal metaplasia. Cancer Sci 2003; 94: 135–41., , .
- 25Suppressive effects of fruit-juice concentrate of Prunus mume Sieb. et Zucc. (Japanese apricot. Ume) on Helicobacter pylori-induced glandular stomach lesions in Mongolian gerbils. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev 2005; 6: 337–41., , , , , , , , , .
- 26Inhibitory effect of nordihydroguaiaretic acid, a plant lignan, on Helicobacter pylori-associated gastric carcinogenesis in Mongolian gerbils. Cancer Sci 2007; 98: 1689–95., , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 274-Vinyl-2,6-dimethoxyphenol (canolol) suppresses oxidative stress and gastric carcinogenesis in Helicobacter pylori-infected carcinogen-treated Mongolian gerbils. Int J Cancer 2008; 122: 1445–54., , , , , , , , , , .
- 28New animal model of glandular stomach carcinogenesis in Mongolian gerbils infected with Helicobacter pylori and treated with a chemical carcinogen. J Gastroenterol 1999; 34( Suppl 11): 61–6., , , , , , , , .
- 29Hexosaminidase-altered aberrant crypts, carrying decreased hexosaminidase alpha and beta subunit mRNAs, in colon of 1,2-dimethylhydrazine-treated rats. Jpn J Cancer Res 2001; 92: 109–18., , , , , , , .
- 30Classification and grading of gastritis. The updated Sydney System. International Workshop on the Histopathology of Gastritis, Houston 1994. Am J Surg Pathol 1996; 20: 1161–81., , , .
- 31Helicobacter pylori-induced chronic active gastritis, intestinal metaplasia, and gastric ulcer in Mongolian gerbils. Am J Pathol 1999; 154: 951–60., , , , , , .
- 32Dextran sodium sulfate strongly promotes colorectal carcinogenesis in Apc(Min/+) mice: inflammatory stimuli by dextran sodium sulfate results in development of multiple colonic neoplasms. Int J Cancer 2006; 118: 25–34., , , , , , , , .
- 33Pattern of transcription factor activation in Helicobacter pylori-infected Mongolian gerbils. Gastroenterology 2007; 132: 1024–38., , , , , , , .
- 34Zerumbone, a tropical ginger sesquiterpene, inhibits colon and lung carcinogenesis in mice. Int J Cancer 2009; 124: 264–71., , , , , .
- 35Down-regulation of a gastric transcription factor. Sox2, and ectopic expression of intestinal homeobox genes Cdx1 and Cdx2: inverse correlation during progression from gastric/intestinal-mixed to complete intestinal metaplasia. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol 2004; 130: 135–45., , , , , , , , .
- 36Caffeic acid phenethyl ester, an inhibitor of nuclear factor-κB, attenuates bacterial peptidoglycan polysaccharide-induced colitis in rats. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 2001; 299: 915–20., , .
- 37Helicobacter pylori-induced epithelial cell signalling in gastric carcinogenesis. Trends Microbiol 2004; 12: 29–36., .
- 38Severity of gastritis determines glandular stomach carcinogenesis in Helicobacter pylori-infected Mongolian gerbils. Cancer Sci 2007; 98: 478–83., , , , , , , , , .
- 39Molecular and cellular mechanisms involved in Helicobacter pylori-induced inflammation and oxidative stress. Free Radic Biol Med 2002; 33: 323–36., .
- 40T helper 1 effector cells specific for Helicobacter pylori in the gastric antrum of patients with peptic ulcer disease. J Immunol 1997; 158: 962–7., , , , , , , , .
- 41NF-κB: linking inflammation and immunity to cancer development and progression. Nat Rev Immunol 2005; 5: 749–59., .
- 42Expression of nitric oxide synthase, cyclooxygenase, and p53 in different stages of human gastric cancer. Cancer Lett 2001; 172: 177–85., , , .
- 43Cyclooxygenase (COX) 1 and 2 in normal, inflamed, and ulcerated human gastric mucosa. Gut 2000; 47: 762–70., , , , .
- 44Synergistic upregulation of inducible nitric oxide synthase and cyclooxygenase-2 in gastric mucosa of Mongolian gerbils by a high-salt diet and Helicobacter pylori infection. Histol Histopathol 2008; 23: 593–9., , , , , , , .
- 45Induction of cyclooxygenase 2 in gastric mucosal lesions and its inhibition by the specific antagonist delays healing in mice. Gastroenterology 1997; 112: 387–97., , , , , , , .
- 46Role of cytokines in pathogenesis of Helicobacter pylori-induced mucosal damage. Dig Dis Sci 1998; 43: 46S–55S..
- 47Gastric mucosal secretion of interleukin-10: relations to histopathology. Helicobacter pylori status, and tumour necrosis factor-alpha secretion. Gut 1997; 40: 739–44., , .
- 48Helicobacter pylori antigen in the glomeruli of patients with membranous nephropathy. Virchows. Arch 1997; 431: 235–9., , , , , .
- 49Prevalence of Helicobacter pylori infection in long-term hemodialysis patients. Kidney Int 2009; 75: 96–103., , , , .