Repeated measures of serum glucose and insulin in relation to postmenopausal breast cancer
Version of Record online: 2 JUN 2009
Copyright © 2009 UICC
International Journal of Cancer
Volume 125, Issue 11, pages 2704–2710, 1 December 2009
How to Cite
Kabat, G. C., Kim, M., Caan, B. J., Chlebowski, R. T., Gunter, M. J., Ho, G. Y.F., Rodriguez, B. L., Shikany, J. M., Strickler, H. D., Vitolins, M. Z. and Rohan, T. E. (2009), Repeated measures of serum glucose and insulin in relation to postmenopausal breast cancer. Int. J. Cancer, 125: 2704–2710. doi: 10.1002/ijc.24609
- Issue online: 24 SEP 2009
- Version of Record online: 2 JUN 2009
- Accepted manuscript online: 2 JUN 2009 12:00AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 19 MAY 2009
- Manuscript Received: 2 APR 2009
- Institutional funds
- 1Nutrition, hormones, and breast cancer: is insulin the missing link? Cancer Causes Control 1996; 7: 605–25..
- 2Adiposity, type 2 diabetes and the metabolic syndrome in breast cancer. Obes Rev 2007; 8: 395–408., , .
- 3Effect of insulin on cell cycle progression in MCF-7 breast cancer cells. Direct and potentiating influence. J Biol Chem 2001; 276: 38023–8., , , , , .
- 4Mitogenic properties of insulin and insulin anologues mediated by the insulin receptor. Diabetologia 1997; 40 Suppl 2: S25–S31., , , , , , .
- 5Insulin receptor levels and magnitude of insulin-induced responses in 7,12-dimethylbenz(a) anthracene-induced mammary tumors in rats. Cancer Res 1981; 41: 826–9., .
- 6Role of hormones in the growth and regression of human breast cancer cell (MCF-7) transplanted into athymic nude mice. J Natl Cancer Inst 1981; 67: 51–6., .
- 7Discovery of a metabolic pathway mediating glucose induced desentitization of the glucose transport system. Role of hexosamine biosynthesis in the induction of insulin resistance. J Biol Chem 1991; 266: 4706–12., , .
- 8On the origin of cancer cells. Science 1956; 123: 309–14..
- 9Oncogenic alterations of metabolism. Trends Biochem Sci 1999; 24: 68–72., .
- 10Risk of breast cancer in relation to anthropometry, blood pressure, blood lipids and glucose metabolism: a prospective study within the Malmö Preventive Project. Eur J Cancer Prev 2001; 10: 33–42., , , .
- 11Serum insulin and glucose levels and breast cancer incidence: the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities Study. Am J Epidemiol 2002; 156: 349–52., , , , .
- 12Fasting glucose is a risk factor for breast cancer: a prospective study. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2002; 11: 1361–8., , , , , , , , , , .
- 13Fasting serum glucose level and cancer risk in Korean men and women. JAMA 2005; 293: 194–202., , , , , .
- 14Fasting blood glucose and cancer risk in a cohort of more than 140,000 adults in Austria. Diabetologia 2006; 49: 945–52., , , , , , , .
- 15Prospective study of hyperglycemia and cancer risk. Diabetes Care 2007; 30: 561–7., , , , , , , .
- 16Obesity, weight change, fasting insulin, proinsulin, C-peptide, and insulin-like growth factor-1 levels in women with and without breast cancer in the Rancho Bernardo Study. J Womens Health Gend Based Med 1999; 8: 1265–72., .
- 17Prospective study of IGF-I, IGF-binding proteins, and breast cancer risk, in Northern and Southern Sweden. Cancer Causes Control 2002; 13: 307–16., , , , , , , , , , .
- 18Insulin, insulin-like growth factor-I, and risk of breast cancer in postmenopausal women. J Natl Cancer Inst 2009; 101: 48–60., , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 19The Women's Health Initiative Study Group. Design of the Women's Health Initiative clinical trial and observational study. Control Clin Trials 1998; 19: 61–109.
- 20Ethnicity and breast cancer: factors influencing differences in incidence and outcome. J Natl Cancer Inst 2005; 97: 439–48., , , , , , , , , , , .
- 21Insulin resistance and weight gain in postmenopausal women of diverse ethnic groups. Int J Obes 2004; 28: 1039–47., , , , , , , , , .
- 22Determination of hexokinase and glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase. In: BergmeyerHU, ed. Methods of enzymatic analysis,2nd Engl. edn. New York, NY: Academic Press, 1974, 1196–1201., , , .
- 23Evaluation of the hexokinase-glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase method of determination of glucose in urine.Anal Biochem 1968; 23: 301–316., .
- 24Fundamentals of Clinical Chemistry, 3rd edn. Philadelphia, PA: WB Saunders Co, 1987. 544 p..
- 25Homeostasis model assessment: insulin resistance and β-cell function from fasting plasma glucose and insulin concentrations in man. Diabetologia 1985; 287: 412–19., , , , , .
- 26High insulin levels in newly diagnosed breast cancer patients reflect underlying insulin resistance and are associated with components of the insulin resistance syndrome. Breast Cancer Res Treat 2008; 114: 517–25., , , , , , , .
- 27Glycemic effects of postmenopausal hormone therapy: the Heart and Estrogen/Progestin Replacement Study. Ann Int Med 2003; 138: 1–9., , , , , , , .
- 28Evaluating serial cancer marker studies in patients at risk of recurrent disease. Biometrics 1981; 37: 67–78..
- 29Serum C-peptide levels and breast cancer risk: results from the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC). Int J Cancer 2006; 119: 659–67., , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 30Clinical significance of the insulin resistance index as assessed by homeostasis model assessment. Endocr J 2001; 48: 81–6., , , , .
- 31Covariate measurement errors and parameter estimation in a failure time regression model. Biometrika 1982; 69: 331–42..
- 32Insulin receptor expression and function in human breast cancer cell lines. Cancer Res 1992; 52: 3924–30., , , , , , , .
- 33Estrogen and insulin/IGF-1 cooperatively stimulate cell cycle progression in MCF-7 breast cancer cells through differential regulation of c-Myc and cyclin D1. Mol Cell Endocrinol 2005; 229: 161–73., , , , , .
- 34Effects of weight loss vs aerobic exercise training on risk factors for coronary disease in healthy, obese, middle-aged and older men: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA 1995; 274: 1915–21., , , , , .
- 35Insulin, physical activity, and caloric intake in postmenopausal women: breast cancer implications. J Clin Oncol 2004; 22: 4507–13., , , , , .