Genetic variation and circulating levels of IGF-I and IGFBP-3 in relation to risk of proliferative benign breast disease
Version of Record online: 23 JUN 2009
Copyright © 2009 UICC
International Journal of Cancer
Volume 126, Issue 1, pages 180–190, 1 January 2010
How to Cite
Su, X., Colditz, G. A., Willett, W. C., Collins, L. C., Schnitt, S. J., Connolly, J. L., Pollak, M. N., Rosner, B. and Tamimi, R. M. (2010), Genetic variation and circulating levels of IGF-I and IGFBP-3 in relation to risk of proliferative benign breast disease. Int. J. Cancer, 126: 180–190. doi: 10.1002/ijc.24674
- Issue online: 11 NOV 2009
- Version of Record online: 23 JUN 2009
- Accepted manuscript online: 23 JUN 2009 12:00AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 28 MAY 2009
- Manuscript Received: 9 MAR 2009
- National Institutes of Health Public Health Service Grants. Grant Number: CA046475, CA050385, CA089393
- 1American Cancer Society. Cancer Facts & Figures 2008. 2008 [cited 2008 Dec 4]; Available from: http://www.cancer.org/downloads/STT/2008CAFFfinalsecured.pdf.
- 2Pathology of benign breast disorders. In: HarrisJR, LippmanME, MorrowM, OsborneCK, eds. Diseases of the Breast, 3rd ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2004. 77–99., .
- 3Insulin-like growth factors and insulin-like growth factor binding proteins in mammary gland function. Breast Cancer Res 2002; 4: 231–9., .
- 4The IGF system and breast cancer. Endocr Relat Cancer 2001; 8: 197–209., .
- 5Introduction: IGFs and IGFBPs in the normal mammary gland and in breast cancer. J Mammary Gland Biol Neoplasia 2000; 5: 1–5., .
- 6Insulin-like growth factor-binding proteins (IGFBPs) and their regulatory dynamics. Int J Biochem Cell Biol 1996; 28: 619–37., , , , , , , , .
- 7IGF and insulin action in the mammary gland: lessons from transgenic and knockout models. J Mammary Gland Biol Neoplasia 2000; 5: 19–30., .
- 8The GH-IGF-I axis and breast cancer. Trends Endocrinol Metab 2003; 14: 28–34., , .
- 9Polymorphisms and circulating levels in the insulin-like growth factor system and risk of breast cancer: a systematic review. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2005; 14: 2–19., , , , , , , .
- 10Endogenous hormone levels and risk of breast, endometrial and ovarian cancers: prospective studies. Adv Exp Med Biol 2008; 630: 148–65., .
- 11IGF1 and IGFBP3 tagging polymorphisms are associated with circulating levels of IGF1, IGFBP3 and risk of breast cancer. Hum Mol Genet 2006; 15: 1–10., , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 12Polymorphisms of genes coding for insulin-like growth factor 1 and its major binding proteins, circulating levels of IGF-I and IGFBP-3 and breast cancer risk: results from the EPIC study. Br J Cancer 2006; 94: 299–307., , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 13Genetic determinants of circulating insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-I. IGF binding protein (BP)-1, and IGFBP-3 levels in a multiethnic population. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2007; 92: 3660–6., , , , , , .
- 14Genetic polymorphisms involved in insulin-like growth factor (IGF) pathway in relation to mammographic breast density and IGF levels. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2008; 17: 880–8., , , .
- 15IGF-1, IGFBP-1, and. IGFBP-3 polymorphisms predict circulating IGF levels but not breast cancer risk: findings from the Breast and Prostate Cancer Cohort Consortium (BPC3). PLoS ONE. 2008; 3: e2578., , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 16Genetic polymorphisms in the IGFBP3 gene: association with breast cancer risk and blood IGFBP-3 protein levels among Chinese women. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2004; 13: 1290–5., , , , , , , .
- 17Genetic, anthropometric, and lifestyle factors associated with IGF-1 and IGFBP-3 levels in Hispanic and non-Hispanic white women. Cancer Causes Control 2005; 16: 1147–57., , , , , , , , .
- 18Common genetic variation in the IGF-1 gene, serum IGF-I levels and breast density. Breast Cancer Res Treat 2008; 112: 109–22., , , , , , , , .
- 19The GH1/IGF-1 axis polymorphisms and their impact on breast cancer development. Breast Cancer Res Treat 2007; 104: 233–48., , .
- 20Haplotype-based association studies of IGFBP1 and IGFBP3 with prostate and breast cancer risk: the multiethnic cohort. Cancer. Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2006; 15: 1993–7., , , , , , , , , , .
- 21The A(-336C) insulin-like growth factor binding protein-3 promoter polymorphism is not a modulator of breast cancer risk in Caucasian women. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2005; 14: 289–90., , , .
- 22IGF-I genetic variation and breast cancer: the multiethnic cohort. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2006; 15: 172–4., , , , , , , , , .
- 23Genetic variation in IGF1. IGFBP3, IRS1, IRS2 and risk of breast cancer in women living in. Southwestern United States. Breast Cancer Res Treat 2007; 104: 197–209., , , , , , .
- 24Alterations in the insulin-like growth factor system during the menstrual cycle in normal women. Maturitas 1998; 28: 259–65., , , , .
- 25Changes in serum concentrations of growth hormone, insulin, insulin-like growth factor and insulin-like growth factor-binding proteins 1 and 3 and urinary growth hormone excretion during the menstrual cycle. Hum Reprod 1997; 12: 2123–8., , , , , , .
- 26Reproducibility of plasma steroid hormones, prolactin, and insulin-like growth factor levels among premenopausal women over a 2- to 3-year period. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2006; 15: 972–8., , , , , .
- 27A candidate gene approach to searching for low-penetrance breast and prostate cancer genes. Nat Rev Cancer 2005; 5: 977–85., , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 28A multiethnic cohort in Hawaii and Los Angeles: baseline characteristics. Am J Epidemiol 2000; 151: 346–57., , , , , , , , , .
- 29USC/Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center. Available from: http://www.uscnorris.com/MECGenetics/.
- 30Common genetic variation in IGF1 and prostate cancer risk in the Multiethnic Cohort. J Natl Cancer Inst 2006; 98: 123–34., , , , , , , , , .
- 31The interaction of selection and linkage. II. Optimum models. Genetics 1964; 50: 757–82..
- 32The structure of haplotype blocks in the human genome. Science 2002; 296: 2225–9., , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 33Choosing haplotype-tagging SNPS based on unphased genotype data using a preliminary sample of unrelated subjects with an example from the Multiethnic Cohort Study. Hum Hered 2003; 55: 27–36., , , , , , .
- 34Accounting for haplotype uncertainty in matched association studies: a comparison of simple and flexible techniques. Genet Epidemiol 2005; 28: 261–72., , , , .
- 35Testing association of statistically inferred haplotypes with discrete and continuous traits in samples of unrelated individuals. Hum Hered 2002; 53: 79–91., , , , , .
- 36Insulin-like growth factor-I, its binding proteins (IGFBP-1 and IGFBP-3), and growth hormone and breast cancer risk in The Nurses Health Study II. Endocr Relat Cancer 2006; 13: 583–92., , , , .
- 37Circulating insulin-like growth factor-I and binding protein-3 and the risk of breast cancer. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2007; 16: 763–8., , , , , .
- 38IGF-I. IGFBP-3 and breast cancer risk in women: the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC). Endocr Relat Cancer 2006; 13: 593–605., , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 39Insulin-like growth factors and breast cancer risk in Chinese women. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2002;11:705–12., , , , , , et al.
- 40Essential roles of IGFBP-3 and IGFBP-rP1 in breast cancer. Eur J Cancer 2005; 41: 1515–27., , , , .
- 41Insulin-like growth factor binding proteins and breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res Treat 2008; 107: 181–94., , .
- 42Insulin-like growth factor-binding protein enhancement of insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-1)-mediated DNA synthesis and IGF-I binding in a human breast carcinoma cell line. J Cell Physiol 1994; 158: 69–78., , , , , , .
- 43Differential interactions between IGFBP-3 and transforming growth factor-beta (TGF-beta) in normal vs cancerous breast epithelial cells. Br J Cancer 2002; 86: 1963–9., , , , , , .
- 44A non-IGF binding mutant of IGFBP-3 modulates cell function in breast epithelial cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 2002; 294: 988–94., , , , .
- 45Insulin-like growth factor-binding protein-3 potentiates epidermal growth factor action in MCF-10A mammary epithelial cells. Involvement of p44/42 and p38 mitogen-activated protein kinases. J Biol Chem 2003; 278: 2969–76., , .
- 46Insulin-like growth factor binding protein-3 expression is associated with growth stimulation of T47D human breast cancer cells: the role of altered epidermal growth factor signaling. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2004; 89: 1950–6., , , , , .
- 47Development of resistance to insulin-like growth factor binding protein-3 in transfected T47D breast cancer cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 1998; 246: 325–9., , , .
- 48Novel promoter polymorphism in insulin-like growth factor-binding protein-3: correlation with serum levels and interaction with known regulators. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2001; 86: 1274–80., , , , , , , , .