Cecilia Young is currently employed at Sanofi Pasteur MSD, Trung Tran is currently employed at Merck and Co Inc
Attitudes to HPV vaccination among parents of children aged 12-15 years—A population-based survey in Sweden
Article first published online: 30 JUN 2009
Copyright © 2009 UICC
International Journal of Cancer
Volume 126, Issue 2, pages 500–507, 15 January 2010
How to Cite
Dahlström, L. A., Tran, T. N., Lundholm, C., Young, C., Sundström, K. and Sparén, P. (2010), Attitudes to HPV vaccination among parents of children aged 12-15 years—A population-based survey in Sweden. Int. J. Cancer, 126: 500–507. doi: 10.1002/ijc.24712
- Issue published online: 24 NOV 2009
- Article first published online: 30 JUN 2009
- Accepted manuscript online: 30 JUN 2009 12:00AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 24 JUN 2009
- Manuscript Received: 13 JAN 2009
- Sanofi Pasteur MSD, Sweden
- 1Human papillomavirus is a necessary cause of invasive cervical cancer worldwide. J Pathol 1999; 189: 12–9., , , , , , , , , .
- 2Effect of prophylactic human papillomavirus L1 virus-like-particle vaccine on risk of cervical intraepithelial neoplasia grade 2, grade 3, and adenocarcinoma in situ: a combined analysis of four randomised clinical trials. Lancet 2007; 369: 1861–8..
- 3Quadrivalent vaccine against human papillomavirus to prevent anogenital diseases. N Engl J Med 2007; 356: 1928–43., , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 4Efficacy of a prophylactic adjuvanted bivalent L1 virus-like-particle vaccine against infection with human papillomavirus types 16 and 18 in young women: an interim analysis of a phase III double-blind, randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2007; 369: 2161–70., , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 5Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC); Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP). Quadrivalent human papillomavirus vaccine: recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP). MMWR Recomm Rep 2007; 56( RR-2): 1–26., , , , , ;
- 6The Norwegian Institute of Public Health. Recommendations. Available at: http://www.fhi.no/eway/default.aspx? pid=233&trg=MainLeft_ 5565& MainArea_5661=5565:0:15,1223:1:0:0:::0: 0&MainLeft_5565= 5544:72032::1: 5569:4:::0:0. Accessed October, 2008.
- 7Ministère de la Santé de la Jeunesse de sports et de la Via associative, France. Nouvelles recommendations. Available at: http://www.sante-jeunesse-sports.gouv.fr/dossiers/sante/vaccinations-vaccins- politique-vaccinale/calendrier-vaccinal-2008/calendrier-vaccinal-detaille-2008. html?var_recherche=vaccination, Accessed September, 2008.
- 8Australian Government. Department of Health and Ageing. Announcement for the Human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccination program. Available at: http://www.health.gov.au/internet/immunise/ publishing.nsf/Content/hpv-vac-prog. Accessed August, 2006.
- 9Ministry of Health in New Zealand. Information on HPV Immunisation Programme—the facts. Available at: http://www.moh.govt.nz/moh.nsf/indexmh/ hpv-immunisation-programme- facts-4aug08. Accessed August 2008.
- 10National Board of Health, Denmark. Available at: http://www.sst.dk/Nyheder/Seneste_nyheder/HPV_vaccination_ september2008.aspx?lang =da. Accessed September, 2008.
- 11The Swedish National Board of Health and Welfare, Sweden Recommendations. Available at: http://www.socialstyrelsen.se/Publicerat/2008/10201/2008-130-12.htm. Accessed November 2008.
- 12Predictors of STI vaccine acceptability among parents and their adolescent children. J Adolesc Health 2005; 37: 179–86., , , , , .
- 13Future acceptance of adolescent human papillomavirus vaccination: a survey of parental attitudes. Vaccine 2006; 24: 3087–94., , , .
- 14Parental acceptance of human papillomavirus vaccines. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 2008; 137: 103–7., , , , , .
- 15Acceptability of a human papillomavirus (HPV) trial vaccine among mothers of adolescents in Cuernavaca, Mexico. Arch Med Res 2001; 32: 243–7., , , , , .
- 16Acceptability of the human papillomavirus vaccine among Latina mothers. J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol 2008; 21: 329–34., , , .
- 17Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Vaccination coverage among adolescents aged 13–17 years — United States, 2007. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2008; 57: 1100–03.
- 18Parental attitudes to pre-pubertal HPV vaccination. Vaccine 2007; 25: 1945–52., , .
- 19Public knowledge and attitudes towards human papilloma virus (HPV) vaccination. BMC Public Health 2008; 8: 368., , , , , .
- 20Are women ready for the HPV vaccine? Gynecol Oncol 2006; 103: 151–4., , , , , , , , , .
- 21Attitudes about human papillomavirus vaccine in young women. Int J STD AIDS 2003; 14: 300–6., , , .
- 22Factors that are associated with parental acceptance of human papillomavirus vaccines: a randomized intervention study of written information about HPV. Pediatrics 2006; 117: 1486–93., , , .
- 23Uptake of HPV vaccine: demographics, sexual history and values, parenting style, and vaccine attitudes. J Adolesc Health 2008; 43: 239–45., , , , , , .
- 24Chapter 24: psychosocial aspects of vaccine acceptability. Vaccine 2006; 24( Suppl 3): S201–9., , , , .
- 25Pediatricians' intention to administer human papillomavirus vaccine: the role of practice characteristics, knowledge, and attitudes. J Adolesc Health 2005; 37: 502–10., , , , , , .
- 26Attitudes about human papillomavirus vaccine among family physicians. J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol 2005; 18: 391–8., , , , , , .
- 27Acceptance of human papillomavirus vaccination among Californian parents of daughters: a representative statewide analysis. J Adolesc Health 2007; 40: 108–15., .
- 28Human papillomavirus vaccine acceptability among parents of 10- to 15-year-old adolescents. J Low Genit Tract Dis 2004; 8: 188–94., , , .
- 29Predictors of HPV vaccine acceptability: a theory-informed, systematic review. Prev Med 2007; 45: 107–14., .
- 30Public awareness that HPV is a risk factor for cervical cancer. Br J Cancer 2007; 97: 691–4., , .
- 31Trust and experience as predictors of HPV vaccine acceptance. Hum Vaccin 2007; 3: 171–5., , .
- 32Children who have received no vaccines: who are they and where do they live? Pediatrics 2004; 114: 187–95., , .