Sophia Apostolidou and Richard Hadwin contributed equally to this work.
DNA methylation analysis in liquid-based cytology for cervical cancer screening
Version of Record online: 16 JUL 2009
Copyright © 2009 UICC
International Journal of Cancer
Volume 125, Issue 12, pages 2995–3002, 15 December 2009
How to Cite
Apostolidou, S., Hadwin, R., Burnell, M., Jones, A., Baff, D., Pyndiah, N., Mould, T., Jacobs, I. J., Beddows, S., Kocjan, G. and Widschwendter, M. (2009), DNA methylation analysis in liquid-based cytology for cervical cancer screening. Int. J. Cancer, 125: 2995–3002. doi: 10.1002/ijc.24745
- Issue online: 20 OCT 2009
- Version of Record online: 16 JUL 2009
- Accepted manuscript online: 16 JUL 2009 12:00AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 23 JUN 2009
- Manuscript Received: 26 DEC 2008
- Eve Appeal
- Department of Health NIHR Biomedical Research Centres and European Union FP6 integrated project (NACBO). Grant Number: 500804-2
- Department of Health NIHR Biomedical Research Centres
- Department of Health Policy Research Programme and “NACBO”. Grant Number: EU FP6 IP grant 500804-2
- 1Global Cancer Statistics, 2002. Cancer J Clin 2005; 55: 74–108., , , .
- 2Natural history of cervical neoplasia and risk of invasive cancer in women with cervical intraepithelial neoplasia 3: a retrospective cohort study. Lancet Oncol 2008; 9: 425–34., , , , , , .
- 3BSCC. Bethesda or other? Terminology in cervical cytology. European panel discussion. Cytopathology 2005; 16: 113–19., , , , , , , , , , .
- 4British Society of Clinical Cytology. The revised BSCC terminology for abnormal cervical cytology. Cytopathology 2008; 19: 137–57., , , , , , , ;
- 5Effect of screening on incidence of and mortality from cancer of cervix in England: evaluation based on routinely collected statistics. BMJ 1999; 318: 904., , , .
- 6The accuracy of repeat cytology in women with mildly dyskaryotic smears. Br J Obstet Gynaecol 1989; 96: 1067–70., , , .
- 7Epidemiology and natural history of human papillomavirus infections and type-specific implications in cervical neoplasia. Vaccine 2008; 26 ( Suppl 10): K1–K16., , , , , , , , .
- 8New technologies in cervical cancer screening. Vaccine 2008; 26 ( Suppl 10): K42–K52., , , , , .
- 9Overview of human papillomavirus-based and other novel options for cerical cancer screening in developed and developing countries. Vaccine 2008; 26 ( Suppl 10): K29–K41., , , , , , , .
- 10Predicting CIN 2+ when detecting HPV mRNA and DNA by PreTect HPV-proofer and consensus PCR: a 2 year follow-up of women with ASCUS or LSIL Pap smear. Int J Cancer 2005; 114: 973–6., , , , , , , , .
- 11p16INK4A, CDC6, and MCM5: predictive biomarkers in cervical preinvasive neoplasia and cervical cancer. J Clin Pathol 2005; 58: 525–34., , , , , , , , , .
- 12Improved cervical smear assessment using antibodies against proteins that regulate DNA replication. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 1998; 95: 14932–7., , , , , , , , .
- 13The fundamental role of epigenetic events in cancer. Nat. Rev. Genet. 2002; 3: 415–28., .
- 14Gene silencing in cancer in association with promoter hypermethylation. N Engl J Med. 2003; 349: 2042–54., .
- 15The epigenomics of cancer. Cell. 2007; 128: 683–92., .
- 16High-throughput oncogene mutation profiling in human cancer. Nat Genet 2007; 39: 347–51., , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 17Epigenetic stem cell signature in cancer. Nat Genet 2007; 39: 157–8., , , , , .
- 18Sequential gene promoter methylation during HPV-induced cervical carcinogenesis. Br J Cancer 2007; 97: 1457–64., , , , , , , , , .
- 19Promoter methylation of p16, DAPK, CDH1, and TIMP-3 genes in cervical cancer: correlation with clinicopathological characteristics. Int J Gynecol Cancer 2006; 16: 1234–40., , , , , , .
- 20Comparison of DNA hypermethylation patterns in different types of uterine cancer: cervical squamous cell carcinoma, cervical adenocarcinoma and endometrial adenocarcinoma. Int J Cancer 2006; 118: 2168–71., , , , , , , , .
- 21Assessment of gene promoter hypermethylation for detection of cervical neoplasia. Int J Cancer 2006; 119: 1908–14., , , , , , , , , , , .
- 22Polymorphism in folate- and methionine-metabolizing enzyme and abberant CpG island hypermethylation in uterine cervical cancer. Gynecol Oncol 2005; 96: 173–80., , , , , , .
- 23DNA methylation profiling of cervical squamous intraepithelial lesions using liquid-based cytology specimens: an approach that utilizes receiver-operating characteristic analysis. Cancer 2004; 102: 259–68., , , , .
- 24Detection of hypermethylated genes in women with and without cervical neoplasia. J Natl Cancer Inst 2005; 97: 273–82., , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 25Evaluation of candidate methylation markers to detect cervical neoplasia. Gynecol Oncol 2007; 107: 549–53., , , , , , , , .
- 26Detecting cervical cancer by quantitative promoter hypermethylation assay on cervical scrapings: a feasibility study. Mol Cancer Res 2006; 2: 289–95., , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 27Analysis of aberrant DNA methylation and human papillovirus DNA in cervicovaginal specimens to detect invasive cervical cancer and its precursors. Clin Cancer Res 2004; 10: 3396–4000., , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 28Quantitative methylation-specific PCR for the detection of aberrant DNA methylation in liquid-based Pap tests. Cancer Cytopathol 2008; 114: 57–64., , , .
- 29Discovery of novel methylation biomarkers in cervical carcinoma by global demethylation and microarray analysis. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2006; 15: 114–23., , , , , , , .
- 30Promoter hypermethylation of multiple genes in carcinoma of the uterine cervix. Clin Cancer Res 2001; 7: 1982–86., , , .
- 31Frequent promoter methylation of CDH1, DAPK, RARB, and HIC1 genes in carcinoma of cervix uteri: its relationship to clinical outcome. Mol Cancer 2003; 2: 24., , , , , , , , , .
- 32Aberrant methylation during cervical carcinogenesis. Clin Cancer Res 2001; 7: 584–9., , , , , .
- 33Identification of novel DNA methylation markers in cervical cancer. Int J Cancer 2008; 123: 161–7., , , , , , , , , , , .
- 34DNA methylation analysis by MethyLight technology. Methods 2001; 25: 456–62., , .
- 35Group-specific differentiation between high- and low-risk human papillomavirus genotypes by general primer-mediated PCR and two cocktails of oligonucleotide probes. J Clin Micro 1995; 33: 901–5., , , , , .
- 36GP5+/6+ PCR followed by reverse line blot analysis enables rapid and high-throughput identification of human papillomavirus genotypes. J Clin Micro 2002; 40: 779–87., , , , , .
- 37OligoArray: genome-scale oligonucleotide design for microarrays. Bioinformatics 2002; 3: 486–7., , .
- 38Homogeneous amplification of genital human alpha papillomaviruses by PCR using novel broad-spectrum GP5+ and GP6+ primers. J Clin Micro 2008; 46: 1050–9., , , .
- 39Control of developmental regulators by polycomb in human embryonic stem cells. Cell 2006; 125: 301–13., , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 40CpG island methylator phenotype underlies sporadic microsatellite instability and is tightly associated with BRAF mutation in colorectal cancer. Nat Gen 2006; 38: 787–93., , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 41An epigenetic marker panel for screening and prognostic prediction of ovarian cancer. Int J Cancer 2009; 124: 387–93., , , , , .
- 42Lineage infidelity of epithelial ovarian cancers is controlled by HOX genes that specify regional identity in the reproductive tract. Nat Med 2005; 11: 531–7., , , , .
- 43HOXA11 DNA methylation—a novel prognostic biomarker in ovarian cancer. Int J Cancer 2008; 123: 725–9., , , , , , .
- 44TSLC1 gene silencing in cervical cancer cell lines and cervical neoplasia. J Natl Cancer Inst 2004; 96: 294–305., , , , , , .
- 45IGSF4 promoter methylation and expression silencing in human cervical cancer. Gynecol Oncol 2005; 96: 150–8., , , , , , .
- 46Involvement of tumor suppressor in lung cancer 1 gene expression in cervical carcinogenesis. Int J Gynecol Cancer 2006; 16: 1868–72., , , , .
- 47Association between dense CADM1 promoter methylation and reduced protein expression in high-grade CIN and cervical SCC. J Pathol 2008; 215: 388–97., , , , , , , , , , , .
- 48Utility of methylation markers in cervical cancer early detection: appraisal of the state-of-the-science. Gynecol Oncol 2009; 293–9., , , .
- 49Promoter hypermethylation of tumor suppressor genes in urine from patients with cervical neoplasia. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2007; 16: 1178–84., , , , , , , , , .