Early Detection and Diagnosis
Clinical whole-body skin examination reduces the incidence of thick melanomas
Article first published online: 16 JUL 2009
Copyright © 2009 UICC
International Journal of Cancer
Volume 126, Issue 2, pages 450–458, 15 January 2010
How to Cite
Aitken, J. F., Elwood, M., Baade, P. D., Youl, P. and English, D. (2010), Clinical whole-body skin examination reduces the incidence of thick melanomas. Int. J. Cancer, 126: 450–458. doi: 10.1002/ijc.24747
- Issue published online: 24 NOV 2009
- Article first published online: 16 JUL 2009
- Accepted manuscript online: 16 JUL 2009 12:00AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 23 JUN 2009
- Manuscript Received: 17 DEC 2008
- Cancer Council Queensland
- National Health and Medical Research Council. Grant Number: 112600
- 1Trends for in-situ and invasive melanoma in Queensland, Australia, 1982 to 2002. Cancer Causes and Control 2006; 17: 21–7., , , , , .
- 2Recent Trends in Cutaneous Melanoma Incidence Among Whites in the United States. J Natl Cancer Inst 2001; 93: 678–83., , , .
- 3Malignant melanoma in the 21st century, part 1: epidemiology, risk factors, screening, prevention, and diagnosis. Mayo Clin Proc 2007; 82: 364–80., , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 4An evidence-based staging system for cutaneous melanoma. CA Cancer J Clin 2004; 54: 131–49., , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 5Urban-rural differences in survival from cutaneous melanoma in Queensland. Aust N Z J Public Health 2006; 30: 71–4., , , , .
- 6http://www.qldcancer.com.au/downloads/survival.pdf. Accessed August 10, 2007., , . Cancer Survival in Queensland 2002. Queensland Health and Queensland Cancer Fund. Available at:
- 7Time trends of cutaneous melanoma in Queensland, Australia and Central Europe. Cancer 2000; 89: 1269–78., , .
- 8Screening for cutaneous melanoma by skin self-examination. Journal of the National Cancer Institute 1996; 88: 17–23., , , , .
- 9Presentation and detection of invasive melanoma in a high-risk population. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology 2006; 54: 783–92., , , , , .
- 10US Preventive Services Task Force. Screening for skin cancer: recommendations and rationale. Am J Prev Med 2001; 20: 44–6.
- 11The Cancer Council Australia, National Cancer Prevention Policy 2007-09. The Cancer Council Australia. Available at: www.cancer.org.au/policy/NationalCancerPreventionPolicy.htm. Accessed: Nov 27, 2007.
- 12QCF, Queensland Cancer Risk Study Results. Viertel Centre for Research in Cancer Control, Queensland Cancer Fund. 2005Available at: http://www.cancerqld.org.au/downloads/Queensland%20Cancer%20Risk%20Study.pdf. Accessed: Sept. 19, 2007).
- 13Prevalence of whole-body skin self-examination in a population at high risk for skin cancer (Australia). Cancer Causes Control 2004; 15: 453–63., , , , , , .
- 14Clinical skin examinations and the increasing role of primary care skin cancer clinics in Queensland, Australia. In submission., , , , .
- 15Current melanoma epidemic: a nonmetastasizing form of melanoma? World J. Surg. 1995; 19: 330–3., .
- 16The melanoma epidemic: reality and artefact. BMJ 1996; 312: 137–8..
- 17The melanoma epidemic: is increased surveillance the solution or the problem. Archives of Dermatology 1996; 132: 881–4., .
- 18A randomised trial of population screening for melanoma. J. Med. Screen. 2002; 9: 33–7., , , , , .
- 19Validity of self-reported skin screening histories. Am J Epidemiol 2004; 159: 1098–105., , , , , , .
- 20Identifying people at high risk of cutaneous malignant melanoma: results from a case-control study in Western Australia. Br. Med. J. (Clin. Res. Ed). 1988; 296: 1285–8., .
- 21Personal risk-factor chart for cutaneous melanoma. Lancet 1989; 2: 487–90., , .
- 22AIHW, Rural, regional and remote health: A guide to remoteness classifications. Australian Institute of Health and Welfare AIHW Cat. No. PHE 53, 2004.
- 23A Coefficient of Agreement for Nominal Scales. Educational and Psychological Measurement 1960; 20: 37–46..
- 24Problems in the measurement of tumor thickness and level of invasion in cutaneous melanoma. Hum. Pathol. 1977; 8: 1–2..
- 25Thickness, cross-sectional areas and depth of invasion in the prognosis of cutaneous melanoma. Ann. Surg. 1970; 172: 902–8..
- 26Toward a clearer definition of confounding. Am J Epidemiol 1993; 137: 1–8..
- 27Final version of the American Joint Committee on Cancer staging system for cutaneous melanoma. J Clin Oncol 2001; 19: 3635–48., , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 28SAS Institute Inc. SAS OnlineDoc®, Version 9.1.2 Cary, NC: SAS Institute Inc, 2004.
- 29Case-control studies of screening efficacy: the use of persons newly diagnosed with cancer who later sustain an unfavourable outcome. Am J Epidemiol 1996; 143: 319–22., .
- 30Diagnosing skin cancer in primary care: how do mainstream GPs compare with primary care skin cancer clinic doctors? Medical Journal of Australia 2007; 187: 215–20., , , , , .