Vorinostat increases carboplatin and paclitaxel activity in non-small cell lung cancer cells
Article first published online: 20 JUL 2009
Copyright © 2009 UICC
International Journal of Cancer
Volume 126, Issue 3, pages 743–755, 1 February 2010
How to Cite
Owonikoko, T. K., Ramalingam, S. S., Kanterewicz, B., Balius, T. E., Belani, C. P. and Hershberger, P. A. (2010), Vorinostat increases carboplatin and paclitaxel activity in non-small cell lung cancer cells. Int. J. Cancer, 126: 743–755. doi: 10.1002/ijc.24759
- Issue published online: 8 DEC 2009
- Article first published online: 20 JUL 2009
- Accepted manuscript online: 20 JUL 2009 12:00AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 2 JUL 2009
- Manuscript Received: 8 DEC 2008
- National Cancer Institute. Grant Numbers: P50 CA90440, R01 CA132844
- 1HDAC inhibitors: clinical update and mechanism-based potential. Biochem Pharmacol 2007; 74: 659–71..
- 2Histone deacetylase inhibitors: inducers of differentiation or apoptosis of transformed cells. J Natl Cancer Inst 2000; 92: 1210–16., , .
- 3Anticancer activities of histone deacetylase inhibitors. Nat Rev Drug Discov 2006; 5: 769–84., , .
- 4Apoptosis, proliferation and differentiation patterns are influenced by Zebularine and SAHA in pancreatic cancer models. Scand J Gastroenterol 2007; 42: 103–16., , , , , , , .
- 5Analysis of the apoptotic and therapeutic activities of histone deacetylase inhibitors by using a mouse model of B cell lymphoma. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2007; 104: 8071–6., , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 6Suberoylanilide hydroxamic acid (SAHA), a histone deacetylase inhibitor, suppresses the growth of carcinogen-induced mammary tumors. Anticancer Res 2002; 22: 1497–504., , , , , , .
- 7Histone deacetylase inhibitors suppress the inducibility of nuclear factor-kappaB by tumor necrosis factor-alpha receptor-1 down-regulation. Cancer Res 2006; 66: 5409–18., , , , .
- 8FDA approval summary: vorinostat for treatment of advanced primary cutaneous T-cell lymphoma. Oncologist 2007; 12: 1247–52., , , , .
- 9Chemopreventive efficacy of suberoylanilide hydroxamic acid (SAHA) against 4-(methylnitrosamino)-1-(3-pyridyl)-1-butanone (NNK)-induced lung tumorigenesis in female A/J mice. Anticancer Res 2003; 23: 499–503., , , , .
- 10SAHA, a HDAC inhibitor, has profound anti-growth activity against non-small cell lung cancer cells. Oncol Rep 2006; 15: 187–91., , , , , , .
- 11Phase I and pharmacokinetic study of vorinostat, a histone deacetylase inhibitor, in combination with carboplatin and paclitaxel for advanced solid malignancies. Clin Cancer Res 2007; 13: 3605–10., , , , , , , , , , .
- 12State-of-the-art chemotherapy for advanced non-small cell lung cancer. Semin Oncol 2004; 31: 68–74., .
- 13Paclitaxel-carboplatin alone or with bevacizumab for non-small-cell lung cancer. N Engl J Med 2006; 355: 2542–50., , , , , , , .
- 14Identifying molecular targets mediating the anticancer activity of histone deacetylase inhibitors: a work in progress. Curr Cancer Drug Targets 2002; 2: 337–53., , .
- 15Cellular processing of platinum anticancer drugs. Nat Rev Drug Discov 2005; 4: 307–20., .
- 16Inhibition of histone deacetylase increases cytotoxicity to anticancer drugs targeting DNA. Cancer Res 2003; 63: 7291–300., , , , , .
- 17HDAC6 is a microtubule-associated deacetylase. Nature 2002; 417: 455–8., , , , , , , , .
- 18HDAC-6 interacts with and deacetylates tubulin and microtubules in vivo. EMBO J 2003; 22: 1168–79., , , , , , .
- 19Taxol binds to polymerized tubulin in vitro. J Cell Biol 1981; 91: 479–87., .
- 20Farnesyltransferase inhibitors reverse taxane resistance. Cancer Res 2006; 66: 8838–46., , , , , , , , .
- 21Siegfried JM Stimulatory effects of hepatocyte growth factor on normal and neoplastic human bronchial epithelial cells. Am J Physiol 1995; 268: L1012–20., .
- 22Evidence for autocrine actions of neuromedin B and gastrin-releasing peptide in non-small cell lung cancer. pulmonary. Pharmacol Therap 1999; 12: 291–302., , , , , .
- 23The vitamin D3 analog ILX-23-7553, enhances the response to Adriamycin and irradiation in MCF-7 breast tumor cells. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 2001; 47: 429–36., , , , .
- 24Abcam. Histone Extraction Protocol: Available at: www.abcam.com/technical, accessed on 16 April 2008.
- 25Paclitaxel cytotoxicity against human lung cancer cell lines increases with prolonged exposure durations. Clin Cancer Res 1997; 3: 449–54., , , .
- 26Chromatin in need of a fix: phosphorylation of H2AX connects chromatin to DNA repair. Mol Cell 2005; 18: 617–22., .
- 27Assessment of histone H2AX phosphorylation induced by DNA topoisomerase I and II inhibitors topotecan and mitoxantrone and by the DNA cross-linking agent cisplatin. Cytometry A 2004; 58: 99–110., , , , , .
- 28Gene expression and mitotic exit induced by microtubule-stabilizing drugs. Cancer Res 2003; 63: 7891–9., , , .
- 29Antitumor activity of suberoylanilide hydroxamic acid against thyroid cancer cell lines in vitro and in vivo. Clin Cancer Res 2006; 12: 5570–7., , , , .
- 30Comparative evaluation of the treatment efficacy of suberoylanilide hydroxamic acid (SAHA) and paclitaxel in ovarian cancer cell lines and primary ovarian cancer cells from patients. BMC Cancer 2006; 6: 183., , , , , , , .
- 31Mechanisms of Taxol-induced cell death are concentration dependent. Cancer Res 1998; 58: 3620–6., .
- 32Activity of PXD101, a histone deacetylase inhibitor, in preclinical ovarian cancer studies. Mol Cancer Ther 2006; 5: 2086–95., , , , , , , , .
- 33Histone deacetylase inhibitors and paclitaxel cause synergistic effects on apoptosis and microtubule stabilization in papillary serous endometrial cancer cells. Mol Cancer Ther 2006; 5: 2767–76., , , , , , .
- 34Cisplatin and platinum drugs at the molecular level. (Review). Oncol Rep 2003; 10: 1663–82., .
- 35Spontaneous homologous recombination is induced by collapsed replication forks that are caused by endogenous DNA single-strand breaks. Mol Cell Biol 2005; 25: 7158–69., , , , , .
- 36Analysis of cytotoxicities of platinum compounds. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 2006; 57: 257–67., , , .
- 37Formation of DNA adducts by the anticancer drug carboplatin: different nucleotide sequence preferences in vitro and in cells. Biochemistry 1995; 34: 8474–80., , , , , , .
- 38Enhanced radiation-induced cell killing and prolongation of gammaH2AX foci expression by the histone deacetylase inhibitor MS-275. Cancer Res 2004; 64: 316–21., , , , , , .
- 39Vorinostat, a histone deacetylase inhibitor, enhances the response of human tumor cells to ionizing radiation through prolongation of gamma-H2AX foci. Mol Cancer Ther 2006; 5: 1967–74., , , , , .
- 40Histone deacetylase (HDAC) inhibitor LBH589 increases duration of gamma-H2AX foci and confines HDAC4 to the cytoplasm in irradiated non-small cell lung cancer. Cancer Res 2006; 66: 11298–304., , , , , .