Evidence for the contribution of insulin resistance to the development of cachexia in tumor-bearing mice
Article first published online: 24 JUL 2009
Copyright © 2009 UICC
International Journal of Cancer
Volume 126, Issue 3, pages 756–763, 1 February 2010
How to Cite
Asp, M. L., Tian, M., Wendel, A. A. and Belury, M. A. (2010), Evidence for the contribution of insulin resistance to the development of cachexia in tumor-bearing mice. Int. J. Cancer, 126: 756–763. doi: 10.1002/ijc.24784
- Issue published online: 8 DEC 2009
- Article first published online: 24 JUL 2009
- Accepted manuscript online: 24 JUL 2009 12:00AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 8 JUL 2009
- Manuscript Received: 23 DEC 2008
- The Ohio State University
- the Ohio Agricultural Research and Development Center
- 1The pharmacological treatment of cachexia. Curr Drug Targets 2004; 5: 265–77., , , .
- 2Prognostic effect of weight loss prior to chemotherapy in cancer patients. Am J Med 1980; 69: 491–7., , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 3The immediate causes of death in cancer. Am J Med Sci 1932; 184: 610–5..
- 4A review of cancer cachexia and abnormal glucose metabolism in humans with cancer. J Am Coll Nutr 1992; 11: 445–56..
- 5Sugar tolerance in cancer. J Am Med Assoc 1919; 72: 528–30., , .
- 6Effect of insulin on weight loss and tumour growth in a cachexia model. Br J Cancer 1989; 59: 677–81., .
- 7The lack of an effect by insulin or insulin-like growth factor-1 in attenuating colon-2-mediated cancer cachexia. Cancer Lett 1996; 103: 71–7., , , .
- 8Insulin reversal of cancer cachexia in rats. Cancer Res 1985; 45: 4925–31., , .
- 9Preoperative insulin reverses cachexia and decreases mortality in tumor-bearing rats. J Surg Res 1987; 43: 21–8., , .
- 10Body composition changes in rats with experimental cancer cachexia: improvement with exogenous insulin. Cancer Res 1988; 48: 2784–7., , , .
- 11Impact of insulin on survival of cachectic tumor-bearing rats. J Parenter Enteral Nutr 1988; 12: 260–4., .
- 12Adiposity, type 2 diabetes and the metabolic syndrome in breast cancer. Obes Rev 2007; 8: 395–408., , .
- 13Fasting insulin and outcome in early-stage breast cancer: results of a prospective cohort study. J Clin Oncol 2001; 20: 42–51., , , , , , , , .
- 14Prediagnostic body-mass index, plasma C-peptide concentration, and prostate-specific mortality in men with prostate cancer: a long-term survival analysis. Lancet Oncol 2008; 9: 1039–47., , , , , , , , .
- 15The effect of graded doses of insulin on peripheral glucose uptake and lactate release in cancer cachexia. Surgery 1991; 109: 459–67., , , , , , .
- 16Protein, glucose and lipid metabolism in the cancer cachexia: A preliminary report. Acta Oncol 2007; 46: 118–20., , , , .
- 17The glycemic index: methodology and clinical implications. Am J Clin Nutr 1991; 54: 846–54., , , .
- 18Dystrophin glycoprotein complex dysfunction: a regulatory link between muscular dystrophy and cancer cachexia. Cancer Cell 2005; 8: 421–32., , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 19Analysis of relative gene expression data using real-time quantitative PCR and the 2(-Delta Delta C(T)) Method. Methods 2001; 25: 402–8., .
- 20FoxO3 controls autophagy in skeletal muscle in vivo. Cell Metab 2007; 6: 458–71., , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 21Foxo transcription factors induce the atrophy-related ubiquitin ligase atrogin-1 and cause skeletal muscle atrophy. Cell 2004; 117: 399–412., , , , , , , , , .
- 22The IGF-1/PI3K/Akt pathway prevents expression of muscle atrophy-induced ubiquitin ligases by inhibiting FOXO transcription factors. Mol Cell 2004; 14: 395–403., , , , , , , , .
- 23Conjugated linoleic acid fails to worsen insulin resistance but induces hepatic steatosis in the presence of leptin in ob/ob mice. J Lipid Res 2008; 49: 98–106., , , .
- 24Definition of cancer cachexia: effect of weight loss, reduced food intake, and systemic inflammation on functional status and prognosis. Am J Clin Nutr 2006; 83: 1345–50., , .
- 25Experimental cancer cachexia induced by transplantable colon 26 adenocarcinoma in mice. Cancer Res 1990; 50: 2290–5., , , , , , , , .
- 26The potential and the pitfalls of beta-adrenoceptor agonists for the management of skeletal muscle wasting. Pharmacol Ther 2008; 120: 219–32., .
- 27The many faces of PPARgamma. Cell 2005; 123: 993–9., .
- 28Adiponectin: an update. Diabetes Metab 2008; 34: 12–8..
- 29Insulin resistance and improvements in signal transduction. Endocrine 2006; 29: 73–80., .
- 30Atrogin-1, a muscle-specific F-box protein highly expressed during muscle atrophy. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2001; 98: 14440–5., , , , .
- 31Regulation of protein synthesis by insulin. Biochem Soc Trans 2006; 34: 213–6..
- 32Cancer cachexia is regulated by selective targeting of skeletal muscle gene products. J Clin Invest 2004; 114: 370–8., , , , , , .
- 33Tumor suppressor and anti-inflammatory actions of PPARgamma agonists are mediated via upregulation of PTEN. Curr Biol 2001; 11: 764–8., , , , , .
- 34Phosphatase and tensin homolog deleted on chromosome 10 suppression is an important process in peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma signaling in adipocytes and myotubes. Mol Pharmacol 2007; 71: 1554–62., , , , .