Tel: 419-372-2433, Fax: 419-372-2024
Cancer Cell Biology
Elevated mPer1 gene expression in tumor stroma imaged through bioluminescence
Article first published online: 27 JUL 2009
Copyright © 2009 UICC
International Journal of Cancer
Volume 126, Issue 3, pages 620–630, 1 February 2010
How to Cite
Geusz, M. E., Blakely, K. T., Hiler, D. J. and Jamasbi, R. J. (2010), Elevated mPer1 gene expression in tumor stroma imaged through bioluminescence. Int. J. Cancer, 126: 620–630. doi: 10.1002/ijc.24788
- Issue published online: 8 DEC 2009
- Article first published online: 27 JUL 2009
- Accepted manuscript online: 27 JUL 2009 12:00AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 8 JUL 2009
- Manuscript Received: 18 DEC 2008
- A BGSU Faculty Research Committee grant
- 1The circadian gene Period2 plays an important role in tumor suppression and DNA damage response in vivo. Cell 2002; 111: 41–50., , , , .
- 2Non-synonymous polymorphisms in the circadian gene NPAS2 and breast cancer risk. Breast Cancer Res Treat 2008; 107: 421–5., , , , , , , .
- 3Daily coordination of cancer growth and circadian clock gene expression. Breast Cancer Res Treat 2005; 91: 47–60., , , , , .
- 4Inhibition of tumorigenesis by intratumoral delivery of the circadian gene mPer2 in C57BL/6 mice. Cancer Gene Ther 2007; 14: 815–8., , , , , , , .
- 5Host circadian clock as a control point in tumor progression. J Natl Cancer Inst 2002; 94: 690–7., , , , , , , , .
- 6Circadian disruption and breast cancer: from melatonin to clock genes. Epidemiology 2005; 16: 254–8..
- 7Night-time work predisposes to non-Hodgkin lymphoma. Int J Cancer 2008; 123: 2148–51., , , , .
- 8Control mechanism of the circadian clock for timing of cell division in vivo. Science 2003; 302: 255–9., , , , , .
- 9A molecular mechanism regulating circadian expression of vascular endothelial growth factor in tumor cells. Cancer Res 2003; 63: 7277–83., , , , , , .
- 10Circadian variation in endothelial function is attenuated in postmenopausal women. Maturitas 2006; 54: 294–303., , , , , .
- 11Circadian clock coordinates cancer cell cycle progression, thymidylate synthase, and 5-fluorouracil therapeutic index. Mol Cancer Ther 2006; 5: 2023–33., , , .
- 12Mammalian circadian biology: elucidating genome-wide levels of temporal organization. Annu Rev Genomics Hum Genet 2004; 5: 407–41., .
- 13Photic and circadian expression of luciferase in mPeriod1-luc transgenic mice in vivo. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2002; 99: 489–94., , , , , , , , , .
- 14Use of reporter genes for optical measurements of neoplastic disease in vivo. Neoplasia 2000; 2: 41–52., , , .
- 15Antiangiogenic scheduling of chemotherapy improves efficacy against experimental drug-resistant cancer. Cancer Res 2000; 60: 1878–86., , , , , , .
- 16The role of microvessel density on the survival of patients with lung cancer: a systematic review of the literature with meta-analysis. Br J Cancer 2002; 87: 694–701., , , , , , , , .
- 17Tumor stroma as a target in cancer. Curr Cancer Drug Targets 2008; 8: 447–53., , , , .
- 18Establishment of a cloned line of Lewis Lung Carcinoma cells adapted to cell culture. Cancer Lett 1980; 11: 63–73., .
- 19Biologic characterization of the subcutaneously implanted Lewis lung tumor. Cancer Chemother Rep 2 1972; 3: 325–30..
- 20Angiostatin: a novel angiogenesis inhibitor that mediates the suppression of metastases by a Lewis lung carcinoma. Cell 1994; 79: 315–28., , , , , , , , , .
- 21Targeted disruption of endothelial cell-selective adhesion molecule inhibits angiogenic processes in vitro and in vivo. J Biol Chem 2003; 278: 34598–604., , , , , .
- 22Precancerous stem cells can serve as tumor vasculogenic progenitors. PLoS ONE 2008; 3: e1652., , , , , .
- 23Tumor infiltrating lymphocytes and macrophages have a potential dual role in lung cancer by supporting both host-defense and tumor progression. J Lab Clin Med 2002; 140: 320–8., , , , , , .
- 24Neoneurogenesis and the neuro-neoplastic synapse. Prog Exp Tumor Res 2007; 39: 91–8., .
- 25A calcium flux is required for circadian rhythm generation in mammalian pacemaker neurons. J Neurosci 2005; 25: 7682–6., , , , .
- 26Monitoring immediate-early gene expression through firefly luciferase imaging of HRS/J hairless mice. BMC Physiology 2003; 3: 8., .
- 27Cardiovascular tissues contain independent circadian clocks. Clin Exp Hypertens 2005; 27: 307–11., , , .
- 28Macrophage-derived metalloelastase is responsible for the generation of angiostatin in Lewis lung carcinoma. Cell 1997; 88: 801–10., , , .
- 29Genetics of the mammalian circadian system: Photic entrainment, circadian pacemaker mechanisms, and posttranslational regulation. Annu Rev Genet 2000; 34: 533–62., .
- 30A differential response of two putative mammalian circadian regulators, mper1 and mper2, to light. Cell 1997; 91: 1055–64., , , .
- 31Light-induced resetting of a mammalian circadian clock is associated with rapid induction of the mPer1 transcript. Cell 1997; 91: 1043–53., , , , , , , , , , .
- 32Analysis of clock proteins in mouse SCN demonstrates phylogenetic divergence of the circadian clockwork and resetting mechanisms. Neuron 2000; 25: 437–47., , , , , .
- 33The eyes suppress a circadian rhythm of FOS expression in the suprachiasmatic nucleus in the absence of light. Neuroscience 2003; 121: 253–7., .
- 34Mouse Period1 (mPER1) acts as a circadian adaptor to entrain the oscillator to environmental light/dark cycles by regulating mPER2 protein. J Neurosci 2005; 25: 4719–24., , , .
- 35Entrainment of the master circadian clock by scheduled feeding. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 2004; 287: R551–5., , , , .
- 36Resetting the brain clock: time course and localization of mPER1 and mPER2 protein expression in suprachiasmatic nuclei during phase shifts. Eur J Neurosci 2004; 19: 1105–9., .
- 37Rhythms in clock proteins in the mouse pars tuberalis depend on MT1 melatonin receptor signalling. Eur J Neurosci 2005; 22: 2845–54., , , , , .
- 38Smooth-muscle-type myofilaments and actin in reactive and neoplastic nonmuscle cells. Ultrastruct Pathol 2000; 24: 347–51..
- 39Vascular circadian rhythms in a mouse vascular smooth muscle cell line (Movas-1). Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 2008; 295: R1529–38., , , , , .
- 40Time- and exercise-dependent gene regulation in human skeletal muscle. Genome Biol 2003; 4: R61., , , , , , , , .
- 41Cytokines and their relationship to the symptoms and outcome of cancer. Nat Rev Cancer 2008; 8: 887–99., , , .
- 42TNF-alpha suppresses the expression of clock genes by interfering with E-box-mediated transcription. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2007; 104: 12843–8., , , , , , .
- 43A functional analysis of circadian pacemakers in nocturnal rodents. 1. The stability and lability of spontaneous frequency. J Comp Physiol A 1976; 106: 223–52., .
- 44Live imaging of altered period1 expression in the suprachiasmatic nuclei of Vipr2-/- mice. J Neurochem 2008; 106: 1646–57., , , , , .
- 45Circadian rhythms: the cancer connection. Nature 2002; 420: 373–4., .
- 46The circadian clock: pacemaker and tumour suppressor. Nat Rev Cancer 2003; 3: 350–61., .
- 47The days and nights of cancer cells. Cancer Res 2003; 63: 7545–52., , .
- 48Disruption of circadian coordination accelerates malignant growth in mice. Pathol Biol (Paris) 2003; 51: 216–9., , , , , , , .
- 49Effects of chronic jet lag on tumor progression in mice. Cancer Res 2004; 64: 7879–85., , , , , , , , .
- 50Effects of meal timing on tumor progression in mice. Life Sci 2004; 75: 1181–93., , , .
- 51Circadian clocks: neural and peripheral pacemakers that impact upon the cell division cycle. Mutat Res 2005; 574: 76–91., , , , .
- 52Circadian rhythms in DNA synthesis and mitosis in normal mice and mice bearing the Lewis lung carcinoma. Eur J Cancer 1979; 15: 433–42., , .
- 53Multiple signaling pathways elicit circadian gene expression in cultured Rat-1 fibroblasts. Current Biology 2000; 10: 1291–4., , .
- 54Calcium and pituitary adenylate cyclase-activating polypeptide induced expression of circadian clock gene mPer1 in the mouse cerebellar granule cell culture. J Neurochem 2001; 78: 499–508., , , , .
- 55Involvement of calcium-calmodulin protein kinase but not mitogen-activated protein kinase in light-induced phase delays and Per gene expression in the suprachiasmatic nucleus of the hamster. J Neurochem 2001; 77: 618–27., , , , , , .
- 56Bimodal regulation of mPeriod promoters by CREB-dependent signaling and CLOCK/BMAL1 activity. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2002; 99: 7728–33., , , .
- 57Involvement of calcium/calmodulin-dependent protein kinase II in the induction of mPer1. J Neurosci Res 2003; 72: 384–92., , , , .
- 58CREB--a real culprit in oncogenesis. FEBS J 2007; 274: 3224–32., .
- 59Constitutive expression of the Period1 gene impairs behavioral and molecular circadian rhythms. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2006; 103: 3716–21., , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 60Cytoplasmic localization of mPER1 clock protein isoforms in the mouse retina. Neurosci Lett 2007; 419: 55–8., , .
- 61The circadian gene mPer2 regulates the daily rhythm of IFN-gamma. J Interferon Cytokine Res 2006; 26: 645–9., .
- 62Circadian oscillations of clock genes, cytolytic factors, and cytokines in rat NK cells. J Immunol 2005; 174: 7618–24., .