The Swedish Family-Cancer Database 2009: prospects for histology-specific and immigrant studies
Article first published online: 29 JUL 2009
Copyright © 2009 UICC
International Journal of Cancer
Volume 126, Issue 10, pages 2259–2267, 15 May 2010
How to Cite
Hemminki, K., Ji, J., Brandt, A., Mousavi, S. M. and Sundquist, J. (2010), The Swedish Family-Cancer Database 2009: prospects for histology-specific and immigrant studies. Int. J. Cancer, 126: 2259–2267. doi: 10.1002/ijc.24795
- Issue published online: 22 MAR 2010
- Article first published online: 29 JUL 2009
- Accepted manuscript online: 29 JUL 2009 12:00AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 17 JUL 2009
- Manuscript Received: 19 MAY 2009
- Deutsche Krebshilfe
- Swedish Cancer Society
- Swedish Council for Working Life and Social Research
- 1The Genetic Basis of Human Cancer, 2nd ed. New York: McGraw-Hill, 2002., .
- 2Clinical genetic counselling for familial cancers requires reliable data on familial cancer risks and general action plans. J Med Genet 2004; 41: 801–7., .
- 3American Cancer Society guidelines for the early detection of cancer, 2006. CA Cancer J Clin 2006; 56: 11–25; quiz 49–50., , .
- 4A census of human cancer genes. Nat Rev Cancer 2004; 4: 177–83., , , , , , , .
- 5The catalog of human genes predisposing to neoplasia. In: WeberW, NaridS, MulvihillJ, eds. Familial cancer management. Boca Raton: CRC Press, 1996. 203–37., , .
- 6Cancer genes and the pathways they control. Nat Med 2004; 10: 789–99., .
- 7The impact of truncation and missing family links in population-based registers on familial risk estimates. Am J Epidemiol 2007; 166: 1461–7., , .
- 8Evaluation of bias in familial risk estimates: a study of common cancers using Swedish population-based registers. J Natl Cancer Inst 2008; 100: 1318–25., , .
- 9Systematic population-based assessment of cancer risk in first-degree relatives of cancer probands. J Natl Cancer Inst 1994; 86: 1600–7., , , .
- 10Cancer as a complex phenotype: pattern of cancer distribution within and beyond the nuclear family. PLoS Med 2004; 1: e65., , , , , , , , , , .
- 11Population-based study of changing breast cancer risk in Icelandic BRCA2 mutation carriers, 1920–2000. J Natl Cancer Inst 2006; 98: 116–22., , , , , , .
- 12Cancer in patients with ataxia-telangiectasia and in their relatives in the Nordic countries. J Natl Cancer Inst 2001; 93: 121–7., , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 13Risk of cancer among offspring of childhood-cancer survivors. N Engl J Med 1998; 338: 1339–44., , .
- 14Cancer in siblings of children with cancer in the Nordic countries: a population-based cohort study. Lancet 2001; 358: 711–7., , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 15Familial risks in nervous-system tumours: a histology-specific analysis from Sweden and Norway. Lancet Oncol 2009; 10: 481–8., , , , .
- 16National database of familial cancer in Sweden. Genet Epidemiol 1998; 15: 225–36., .
- 17The nation-wide Swedish family-cancer database: updated structure and familial rates. Acta Oncol 2001; 40: 772–7., , , , .
- 18The Swedish family-cancer database? Update, application to colorectal cancer and clinical relevance. Heredit Cancer Clin Pract 2005; 3: 7–18., , .
- 19The updated Swedish family-cancer database used to assess familial risks of prostate cancer during rapidly increasing incidence. Heredit Cancer in Clin Pract 2006; 4: 186–92., , , .
- 20A cohort study of cancer risk in relation to family histories of cancer in the Utah population database. Cancer 2005; 103: 1906–15., .
- 21Cancer risk in hereditary nonpolyposis colorectal cancer syndrome: later age of onset. Gastroenterology 2005; 129: 415–21., , , , , , .
- 22Centre for Epidemiology. Cancer incidence in Sweden 2005 ed. Stockholm: The National Board of Health and Welfare, 2007.
- 23Familial risk of cancer by site and histopathology. Int J Cancer 2003; 103: 105–9., .
- 24Familial risk in testicular cancer as a clue to a heritable and environmental aetiology. Br J Cancer 2004; 90: 1765–70., .
- 25Familial risks for eye melanoma and retinoblastoma: results from the Swedish family-cancer database. Melanoma Res 2006; 16: 191–5., .
- 26The pathology of familial breast cancer: histological features of cancers in families not attributable to mutations in BRCA1 or BRCA2. Clin Cancer Res 2000; 6: 782–9., , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 27Profiling familial breast cancer. Nat Med 2001; 7: 408–10., , .
- 28Tumours of the digestive system World Health Organization classification of tumours. Lyon: IARC, 2000. 314p., .
- 29Tumors of the urinary system and male genital organs WHO Classification of Tumors, Pathology and Genetics. Lyon: IARC Press, 2003. 359p., , , .
- 30Inherited predisposition to early onset lung cancer according to histological type. Int J Cancer 2004; 112: 451–7., .
- 31Studies of cancer in migrants: rationale and methodology. Eur J Cancer 1996; 32A: 761–71., .
- 32The balance between heritable and environmental aetiology of human disease. Nat Rev Genet 2006; 7: 958–65., , .
- 33Cancer risks in second-generation immigrants to Sweden. Int J Cancer 2002; 99: 229–37., .
- 34Cancer risks in first generation immigrants to Sweden. Int J Cancer 2002; 99: 218–28., , .
- 35Finnish and Swedish genotypes and risk of cancer in Sweden. Eur J Hum Genet 2003; 11: 207–9., .
- 36Is breast cancer prognosis inherited? Breast Cancer Res 2007; 9: R39., , , , , .
- 37Survival in breast cancer is familial. Breast Cancer Res Treat 2008; 110: 177–82., , , , .
- 38Concordance of survival in family members with prostate cancer. J Clin Oncol 2008; 26: 1705–9., , , , .
- 39Familial concordance in cancer survival: a Swedish population-based study. Lancet Oncol 2007; 8: 1001–6., , , , , .
- 40Familial risks for cancer as the basis for evidence-based clinical referral and counseling. The Oncologist 2008; 13: 239–47., , .
- 41Does this patient have a family history of cancer? An evidence-based analysis of the accuracy of family cancer history. JAMA 2004; 292: 1480–9., , .
- 42IARC. Cancer Incidence in Five Continents. In: ParkinD, WhelanS, FerlayJ, TeppoL, ThomasD, eds. vol. VIII. Lyon: IARC, 2002. 781 p.
- 43Cancer epidemiology in the last century and the next decade. Nature 2001; 411: 390–5..
- 44World cancer report. Lyon: IARC Press, 2003. 351p., .
- 45Trends in cancer incidence in Connecticut, 1935–1991. Cancer 1994; 74: 2863–72..
- 46Cancer risks among long-standing spouses. Br J Cancer 2002; 86: 1737–40., .