Enhanced antiproliferative and proapoptotic effects on prostate cancer cells by simultaneously inhibiting androgen receptor and cAMP-dependent protein kinase A
Version of Record online: 3 AUG 2009
Copyright © 2009 UICC
International Journal of Cancer
Volume 126, Issue 3, pages 775–789, 1 February 2010
How to Cite
Desiniotis, A., Schäfer, G., Klocker, H. and Eder, I. E. (2010), Enhanced antiproliferative and proapoptotic effects on prostate cancer cells by simultaneously inhibiting androgen receptor and cAMP-dependent protein kinase A. Int. J. Cancer, 126: 775–789. doi: 10.1002/ijc.24806
- Issue online: 8 DEC 2009
- Version of Record online: 3 AUG 2009
- Accepted manuscript online: 3 AUG 2009 12:00AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 28 JUL 2009
- Manuscript Received: 20 JAN 2009
- CANCURE (Marie Curie Early PhD training program). Grant Number: MES-CT-2005-020970
- PRIMA (EU 6th framework integrated project). Grant Number: CT-2004-504587
- 1Androgen receptor gene and hormonal therapy failure of prostate cancer. Am J Pathol 1998; 152: 1–9., , , .
- 2The development of androgen-independent prostate cancer. Nat Rev Cancer 2001; 1: 34–45., .
- 3Prostate cancer: a practical approach to current management of recurrent disease. Mayo Clin Proc 2007; 82: 243–9., .
- 4Gene therapy strategies in prostate cancer. Curr Gene Ther 2005; 5: 1–10., , , .
- 5Androgen receptor activity at the prostate specific antigen locus: steroidal and non-steroidal mechanisms. Mol Cancer Res 2003; 1: 385–92., , , , , .
- 6Androgen receptor as a target in androgen-independent prostate cancer. Urology 2002; 60: 132–8; discussion 138–9..
- 7Contribution of the androgen receptor to prostate cancer predisposition and progression. Cancer Metastasis Rev 2001; 20: 207–23., , , .
- 8In vivo amplification of the androgen receptor gene and progression of human prostate cancer. Nat Genet 1995; 9: 401–6., , , , , , , , , .
- 9Androgen receptor amplification is associated with increased cell proliferation in prostate cancer. Hum Pathol 2007; 38: 474–8., , , , , .
- 10Mutant androgen receptor detected in an advanced-stage prostatic carcinoma is activated by adrenal androgens and progesterone. Mol Endocrinol 1993; 7: 1541–50., , , , , , , , .
- 11Regulation of prostatic growth and function by peptide growth factors. Prostate 1996; 28: 392–405., , , , , , , , .
- 12Activation of the androgen receptor by polypeptide growth factors and cellular regulators. World J Urol 1995; 13: 285–9., , , , , , .
- 13Expression, structure, and function of androgen receptor in advanced prostatic carcinoma. Prostate 1998; 35: 63–70., , , , , , .
- 14Mutations at the boundary of the hinge and ligand binding domain of the androgen receptor confer increased transactivation function. Mol Endocrinol 2001; 15: 46–56., , , , , , , , , , , .
- 15The androgen axis in recurrent prostate cancer. Clin Cancer Res 2004; 10: 440–8., , , , , , , .
- 16Activation of the human androgen receptor through a protein kinase A signaling pathway. J Biol Chem 1996; 271: 19900–7., .
- 17Androgens transduce the G α-mediated activation of protein kinase A in prostate cells. Cancer Res 2008; 68: 3225–31., , , , , .
- 18Prostate cancer: molecular biology of early progression to androgen independence. Endocrinol Relat Cancer 1999; 6: 487–502., , .
- 19Androgen-independent induction of prostate-specific antigen gene expression via cross-talk between the androgen receptor and protein kinase A signal transduction pathways. J Biol Chem 1999; 274: 7777–83..
- 20Tumor reversion: protein kinase A isozyme switching. Ann N Y Acad Sci 2005; 1058: 76–86., .
- 21Protein kinase A RIα antisense inhibition of PC3M prostate cancer cell growth: Bcl-2 hyperphosphorylation. Bax up-regulation, and Bad-hypophosphorylation. Clin Cancer Res 2002; 8: 607–14., , , , , .
- 22Antisense DNAs as multisite genomic modulators identified by DNA microarray. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2001; 98: 9819–23., , , , , .
- 23Inhibition of LNCaP prostate cancer cells by means of androgen receptor antisense oligonucleotides. Cancer Gene Ther 2000; 7: 997–1007., , , , , , , , .
- 24Inhibition of LNCaP prostate tumor growth in vivo by an antisense oligonucleotide directed against the human androgen receptor. Cancer Gene Ther 2002; 9: 117–25., , , , , , .
- 25VCaP, a cell-based model system of human prostate cancer. In Vivo 2001; 15: 163–8., , , , , , , .
- 26Antagonist/agonist balance of the nonsteroidal antiandrogen bicalutamide (Casodex) in a new prostate cancer model. Urol Int 2000; 65: 73–9., , , , , , .
- 27Short hairpin RNA knockdown of the androgen receptor attenuates ligand-independent activation and delays tumor progression. Cancer Res 2006; 66: 10613–20., , , , .
- 28Therapeutic integration of signal transduction targeting agents and conventional anti-cancer treatments. Endocrinol Relat Cancer 2004; 11: 51–68., , , , .
- 29A phase I safety and dose escalation trial of docetaxel combined with GEM231, a second generation antisense oligonucleotide targeting protein kinase A R1α in patients with advanced solid cancers. Invest. New Drugs 2006; 24: 125–34., , , , , , , , , , .
- 30Androgen receptor down regulation by small interference RNA induces cell growth inhibition in androgen sensitive as well as in androgen independent prostate cancer cells. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 2005; 96: 251–8., , , , .
- 31Long-term androgen-ablation causes increased resistance to PI3K/Akt pathway inhibition in prostate cancer cells. Prostate 2004; 58: 259–68., , , , , , , .
- 32Dynamic binding of PKA regulatory subunit RI α. Structure 2006; 14: 141–9., , , .
- 33Protein kinase A isozyme switching: eliciting differential cAMP signaling and tumor reversion. Oncogene 2004; 23: 8847–56., , , , , .
- 34Isolation of a cDNA and characterization of the 5′ flanking region of the gene encoding the type I regulatory subunit of the cAMP-dependent protein kinase. Eur J Biochem 1987; 167: 27–33., , , , .
- 35A novel mechanism of G protein-dependent phosphorylation of vasodilator-stimulated phosphoprotein. J Biol Chem 2005; 280: 32866–76., , , , .
- 36Regulation of VASP serine 157 phosphorylation in human neutrophils after stimulation by a chemoattractant. J Leukoc Biol 2007; 82: 1311–21., .
- 37Lithium inhibits Smad3/4 transactivation via increased CREB activity induced by enhanced PKA and AKT signaling. Mol Cell Neurosci 2008; 37: 440–53., , .
- 38Nuclear translocation of the catalytic subunit of protein kinase A induced by an antisense oligonucleotide directed against the RIα regulatory subunit. Oncogene 2001; 20: 8019–24., .
- 39Effects of androgen on androgen receptor expression in rat testicular and epididymal cells: a quantitative immunohistochemical study. Biol Reprod 2000; 63: 368–76., , , , , .
- 40Androgen increases androgen receptor protein while decreasing receptor mRNA in LNCaP cells. Mol Cell Endocrinol 1991; 76: 79–88., , , , .
- 41Identification of 3′,5′-cyclic adenosine monophosphate response element and other cis-acting elements in the human androgen receptor gene promoter. Mol Endocrinol 1994; 8: 77–88., , .
- 42Identification of genes targeted by the androgen and PKA signaling pathways in prostate cancer cells. Oncogene 2006; 25: 7311–23., , , .
- 43The role of protein kinase A pathway and cAMP responsive element-binding protein in androgen receptor-mediated transcription at the prostate-specific antigen locus. J Mol Endocrinol 2005; 34: 107–18., , , .