Early Detections and Diagnosis
Isolation of circulating epithelial and tumor progenitor cells with an invasive phenotype from breast cancer patients†
Version of Record online: 6 AUG 2009
Copyright © 2009 UICC
International Journal of Cancer
Volume 126, Issue 3, pages 669–683, 1 February 2010
How to Cite
Lu, J., Fan, T., Zhao, Q., Zeng, W., Zaslavsky, E., Chen, J. J., Frohman, M. A., Golightly, M. G., Madajewicz, S. and Chen, W.-T. (2010), Isolation of circulating epithelial and tumor progenitor cells with an invasive phenotype from breast cancer patients. Int. J. Cancer, 126: 669–683. doi: 10.1002/ijc.24814
Conflict of interest: W.-T.C., patent applications filed on detection of CTCs, is the founder and President of Vitatex, Inc., that commercializes the CAM technology. T.F. was a consultant of Vitatex, Inc., from September 2006 to June 2007 and her spouse maintains a position in the company. Other authors indicated no potential conflict of interest.
- Issue online: 8 DEC 2009
- Version of Record online: 6 AUG 2009
- Accepted manuscript online: 6 AUG 2009 12:00AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 23 JUL 2009
- Manuscript Received: 7 APR 2009
- NIH. Grant Numbers: R42 CA108247, MO1RR10710
- Carol Baldwin Breast Cancer TRO Grant
- NYS ECRIP Fellowship
- 1Systemic spread is an early step in breast cancer. Cancer Cell 2008; 13: 58–68., , , , , , , , , , .
- 2Seeding and propagation of untransformed mouse mammary cells in the lung. Science 2008; 321: 1841–4., , , , , .
- 3The epithelial cell adhesion molecule (Ep-CAM) as a morphoregulatory molecule is a tool in surgical pathology. Am J Pathol 2003; 163: 2139–48., , , .
- 4Anti-epithelial cell adhesion molecule antibodies and the detection of circulating normal-like breast tumor cells. J Natl Cancer Inst 2009; 101: 61–6., , , , , , , , , .
- 5Detection, clinical relevance and specific biological properties of disseminating tumour cells. Nat Rev Cancer 2008; 8: 329–40., , .
- 6Circulating tumor cells (CTC) detection: clinical impact and future directions. Cancer Lett 2007; 253: 180–204., .
- 7Prognostic value of the molecular detection of circulating tumor cells using a multimarker reverse transcription-PCR assay for cytokeratin 19, mammaglobin A, and HER2 in early breast cancer. Clin Cancer Res 2008; 14: 2593–600., , , , , , , , , , .
- 8Detection of circulating tumor cells in early-stage breast cancer metastasis to axillary lymph nodes. Clin Cancer Res 2007; 13: 4105–10., , , , , , , , , , .
- 9Complex networks orchestrate epithelial-mesenchymal transitions. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 2006; 7: 131–42., .
- 10HER2 regulates the mammary stem/progenitor cell population driving tumorigenesis and invasion. Oncogene 2008; 27: 6120–30., , , .
- 11Molecular definition of breast tumor heterogeneity. Cancer Cell 2007; 11: 259–73., , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 12The epithelial-mesenchymal transition generates cells with properties of stem cells. Cell 2008; 133: 704–15., , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 13Invasive growth: a MET-driven genetic programme for cancer and stem cells. Nat Rev Cancer 2006; 6: 637–45., .
- 14Intravascular origin of metastasis from the proliferation of endothelium-attached tumor cells: a new model for metastasis. Nat Med 2000; 6: 100–2., , , , , .
- 15Tumor cell alpha3beta1 integrin and vascular laminin-5 mediate pulmonary arrest and metastasis. J Cell Biol 2004; 164: 935–41., , , , , , , , , , .
- 16Efficiency of Ber-EP4 antibody for isolating circulating epithelial tumor cells before RT-PCR detection. Am J Clin Pathol 1999; 112: 171–8., , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 17Rare expression of epithelial cell adhesion molecule on residual micrometastatic breast cancer cells after adjuvant chemotherapy. Clin Cancer Res 2003; 9: 2598–604., , , , , , , , , , .
- 18A relevant immunomagnetic assay to detect and characterize epithelial cell adhesion molecule-positive cells in bone marrow from patients with breast carcinoma: immunomagnetic purification of micrometastases. Cancer 2004; 101: 693–703., , , , .
- 19Circulating tumour cells in breast cancer. Lancet Oncol 2004; 5: 79–88., , .
- 20Modeling tissue morphogenesis and cancer in 3D. Cell 2007; 130: 601–10., .
- 21Cortactin in tumor invasiveness. Cancer Lett 2008; 265: 157–66..
- 22Dependence of invadopodia function on collagen fiber spacing and crosslinking: computational modeling and experimental evidence. Biophys J, in press., , , , , , , , , , , .
- 23A novel protease-docking function of integrin at invadopodia. J Biol Chem 1999; 274: 24947–52., , , , , , , , .
- 24Elevation of seprase expression and promotion of an invasive phenotype by collagenous matrices in ovarian tumor cells. Int J Cancer 2008; 124: 27–35., , , .
- 25Clinical significance of circulating tumor cells detected by an invasion assay in peripheral blood of patients with ovarian cancer. Gynecol Oncol 2009; 112: 185–91., , , , .
- 26Functional phenotyping and genotyping of circulating tumor cells from patients with castration resistant prostate cancer. Cancer Lett, in press., , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 27The efficiency of an autotransfusion system for tumor cell removal from blood salvaged during cancer surgery. Anesth Analg 1994; 78: 1131–5., , .
- 28Clinical significance of immunocytochemical detection of tumor cells using digital microscopy in peripheral blood and bone marrow of breast cancer patients. Clin Cancer Res 2004; 10: 1392–400., , , , , , , , .
- 29In vivo flow cytometry: a new method for enumerating circulating cancer cells. Cancer Res 2004; 64: 5044–7., , , , , , .
- 30Tumor cells circulate in the peripheral blood of all major carcinomas but not in healthy subjects or patients with nonmalignant diseases. Clin Cancer Res 2004; 10: 6897–904., , , , , , , , .
- 31Isolation of rare circulating tumour cells in cancer patients by microchip technology. Nature 2007; 450: 1235–9., , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 32Reliable and sensitive identification of occult tumor cells using the improved rare event imaging system. Clin Cancer Res 2004; 10: 3020–8., , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 33A rare-cell detector for cancer. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2004; 101: 10501–4., , , , , , , , , , , .
- 34Heterogeneous proliferative potential of occult metastatic cells in bone marrow of patients with solid epithelial tumors. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2002; 99: 2246–51., , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 35Circulating tumor cells, disease progression, and survival in metastatic breast cancer. N Engl J Med 2004; 351: 781–91., , , , , , , , , , .
- 36Prognostic significance of circulating tumour cells enumerated after filtration enrichment in early and metastatic breast cancer patients. Breast Cancer Res Treat 2006; 99: 63–9., , , , , , .