Growth fraction as a predictor of response to chemotherapy in node-negative breast cancer
Article first published online: 26 AUG 2009
Copyright © 2009 UICC
International Journal of Cancer
Volume 126, Issue 7, pages 1761–1769, 1 April 2010
How to Cite
Aleskandarany, M. A., Green, A. R., Rakha, E. A., Mohammed, R. A., Elsheikh, S. E., Powe, D. G., Paish, E. C., Macmillan, R. D., Chan, S., Ahmed, S. I. and Ellis, I. O. (2010), Growth fraction as a predictor of response to chemotherapy in node-negative breast cancer. Int. J. Cancer, 126: 1761–1769. doi: 10.1002/ijc.24860
- Issue published online: 28 JAN 2010
- Article first published online: 26 AUG 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 28 JUL 2009
- Manuscript Received: 22 JAN 2009
- Ministry of High Education; Egypt & Breast Cancer Campaign (UK)
- 1Molecular evolution of breast cancer. J Pathol 2005; 205: 248–54., , , .
- 2Prognostic contribution of the HER-2 oncogene overexpression to the Nottingham Prognostic Index in breast cancer. Biomed Pharmacother 2006; 60: 293–7., .
- 3Prognostic factors observed in current clinical-trials. Cancer 1993; 71: 2163–8..
- 4Effect of systemic adjuvant treatment on risk for contralateral breast cancer in the Women's Environment, Cancer and Radiation Epidemiology Study. J Natl Cancer Inst 2008; 100: 32–40., , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 5Norwegian Breast Cancer Group (NBCG). Adjuvant cyclic Tamoxifen and Megestrol acetate treatment in postmenopausal breast cancer patients—longterm follow-up. Eur J Surg Oncol 2008; 34: 6–12., , ;
- 6Screening mammography in women 40 to 49 years of age: a systematic review for the American College of Physicians. Ann Intern Med 2007; 146: 516–26., , , , .
- 7Survival after adjuvant oophorectomy and tamoxifen in operable breast cancer in premenopausal women. J Clin Oncol 2008; 26: 253–7., , , , , , , , .
- 8Overview of resistance to systemic therapy in patients with breast cancer. Adv Exp Med Biol 2007; 608: 1–22., , .
- 9A systematic overview of chemotherapy effects in breast cancer. Acta Oncol 2001; 40: 253–81., , , .
- 10High-dose chemotherapy: how resistant is breast cancer? Drug Resist Updat 1998; 1: 62–72., .
- 11Developments in the systemic therapy of early-stage breast cancer. Eur J Cancer Suppl 2007; 5: 3–10..
- 12Development and evaluation of a decision aid for patients considering first-line chemotherapy for metastatic breast cancer. Health Expect 2008; 11: 35–45., , , , , .
- 13National Institutes of Health Consensus Development Panel. National Institutes of Health Consensus Development Conference statement: adjuvant therapy for breast cancer, November 1–3, 2000. J Natl Cancer Inst Monogr 2001;( 30): 5–15.
- 14NCCN Practice Guidelines for Breast Cancer. Oncology (Williston Park) 2000; 14: 33–49., , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 15Meeting highlights: International Consensus Panel on the Treatment of Primary Breast Cancer. Seventh International Conference on Adjuvant Therapy of Primary Breast Cancer. J Clin Oncol 2001; 19: 3817–27., , , , .
- 16Meeting highlights: International Expert Consensus on the Primary Therapy of Early Breast Cancer 2005. Ann Oncol 2005; 16: 1569–83., , , , , .
- 17The evolution of treatment strategies: aiming at the target. Breast 2007; 16: S10–6., , .
- 18Predictive value of apoptosis, proliferation, HER-2, and topoisomerase IIα for anthracycline chemotherapy in locally advanced breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res Treat 2005; 92: 69–75., , , , , , , , , .
- 19Update of evidence in chemotherapy for breast cancer. Int J Clin Oncol 2008; 13: 3–7., .
- 20When will more useful predictive factors be ready for use? Breast 2005; 14: 617–23., , .
- 21Prognostic value of proliferation in invasive breast cancer: a review. J Clin Pathol 2004; 57: 675–81., , .
- 22A cell proliferation signature is a marker of extremely poor outcome in a subpopulation of breast cancer patients. Cancer Res 2005; 65: 4059–66., , , , , , , , , , , .
- 23Proliferative markers as prognostic and predictive tools in early breast cancer: where are we now? Ann Oncol 2005; 16: 1723–39., , , , , .
- 24The proteasome controls the expression of a proliferation-associated nuclear antigen Ki-67. J Cell Biochem 2000; 76: 596–604., , , .
- 25Gatter KC. Ki67 protein: the immaculate deception? Histopathology 2002; 40: 2–11.,
- 26The Ki-67 protein: fascinating forms and an unknown function. Exp Cell Res 2000; 257: 231–7., .
- 27The importance of prognostic factors in premenopausal women with breast cancer. Anticancer Res 2007; 27: 1893–6., , , , , .
- 28Hormone receptors and proliferation in breast carcinomas of equivalent histologic grades in pre- and postmenopausal women. Int J Cancer 2002; 98: 118–27., , , , , .
- 29Ki-67 as prognostic marker in early breast cancer: a meta-analysis of published studies involving 12 155 patients. Br J Cancer 2007; 96: 1504–13., , , , , , , , , .
- 30High-throughput protein expression analysis using tissue microarray technology of a large well-characterised series identifies biologically distinct classes of breast cancer confirming recent cDNA expression analyses. Int J Cancer 2005; 116: 340–50., , , , , , , , .
- 31Basal phenotype identifies a poor prognostic subgroup of breast cancer of clinical importance. Eur J Cancer 2006; 42: 3149–56., , , , , , , , .
- 32X-tile: a new bio-informatics tool for biomarker assessment and outcome-based cut-point optimization. Clin Cancer Res 2004; 10: 7252–9., , .
- 33Molecular portraits and 70-gene prognosis signature are preserved throughout the metastatic process of breast cancer. Cancer Res 2005; 65: 9155–8., , , , , , , , .
- 34Uses and abuses of tumor markers in the diagnosis, monitoring, and treatment of primary and metastatic breast cancer. Oncologist 2006; 11: 541–52., .
- 35Side-effects of chemotherapy and quality of life in ovarian and breast cancer patients. Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol 2006; 18: 24–8., .
- 36Breast cancer patients on adjuvant chemotherapy report a wide range of problems not identified by health-care staff. Breast Cancer Res Treat 2007; 103: 185–95., , , , , .
- 37An overview of prognostic factors for long-term survivors of breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res Treat 2008; 107: 309–30., , , , .
- 38Hormone receptors and proliferation in breast carcinomas of equivalent histologic grades in pre- and postmenopausal women. Int J Cancer 2002; 98: 118–27., , , , , .
- 39Prognostic impact of proliferation associated factors MIBI (Ki-67) and S-phase in node-negative breast cancer. Br J Cancer 1997; 75: 1525–33., , , , , , , , , , .
- 40Cell proliferation is related to in vitro drug resistance in childhood acute leukaemia. Br J Cancer 2003; 88: 775–81., , , , , , , , , , .
- 41Prognostic and predictive value of centrally reviewed Ki-67 labeling index in postmenopausal women with endocrine-responsive breast cancer: results from Breast International Group Trial 1–98 comparing adjuvant tamoxifen with letrozole. J Clin Oncol 2008; 26: 5569–75., , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 42Correlation between MIB-1 and other proliferation markers—clinical implications of the MIB-1 cutoff value. Cancer 2002; 94: 2151–9., , , , , , .
- 43In vivo cell kinetics in breast carcinogenesis. Breast Cancer Res 2001; 3: 276–83., , , , , , .
- 44Meta-analysis of gene expression profiles in breast cancer: toward a unified understanding of breast cancer subtyping and prognosis signatures. Breast Cancer Res 2008; 10: R65., , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 45Ki67 index, HER2 status, and prognosis of patients with luminal B breast cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst 2009; 101: 736–50., , , , , , , , , , , , et al.