Cancer Cell Biology
Gene-expression-based analysis of local and metastatic neuroblastoma variants reveals a set of genes associated with tumor progression in neuroblastoma patients
Article first published online: 8 SEP 2009
Copyright © 2009 UICC
International Journal of Cancer
Volume 126, Issue 7, pages 1570–1581, 1 April 2010
How to Cite
Nevo, I., Oberthuer, A., Botzer, E., Sagi-Assif, O., Maman, S., Pasmanik-Chor, M., Kariv, N., Fischer, M., Yron, I. and Witz, I. P. (2010), Gene-expression-based analysis of local and metastatic neuroblastoma variants reveals a set of genes associated with tumor progression in neuroblastoma patients. Int. J. Cancer, 126: 1570–1581. doi: 10.1002/ijc.24889
- Issue published online: 28 JAN 2010
- Article first published online: 8 SEP 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 6 AUG 2009
- Manuscript Received: 20 JUL 2009
- Bonnie and Steven Stern (New York, NY)
- UICC International Cancer Technology Transfer Fellowship
- National Cancer Institute (Federal funds)
- National Institutes of Health. Grant Number: NO2-CO-41101
- 1Neuroblastoma. In: PizzoPA, PoplackDG, eds. Principles and practice of pediatric oncology, Chapter 29, 3rd edn. Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott-Raven Publishers, 1997. 761–83., .
- 2Gene profiling of high risk neuroblastoma. World J Surg 2005; 29: 317–24., .
- 3Neuroblastoma: biological insights into a clinical enigma. Nat Rev Cancer 2003; 3: 203–16..
- 4Mechanisms of invasion and metastasis in human neuroblastoma. Cancer Metastasis Rev 2006; 25: 645–57., .
- 5Critical determinants of metastasis. Semin Cancer Biol 2002; 12: 89–96..
- 6Cancer metastasis: building a framework. Cell 2006; 127: 679–95., .
- 7Generation and characterization of novel local and metastatic human neuroblastoma variants. Neoplasia 2008; 10: 816–27., , , , , , , , , , .
- 8Customized oligonucleotide microarray gene expression-based classification of neuroblastoma patients outperforms current clinical risk stratification. J Clin Oncol 2006; 24: 5070–8., , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 9Characterization of a continuous cell line (MHH-NB-11) derived from advanced neuroblastoma. Anticancer Res 1988; 8: 1329–33., , , , , , .
- 10Classification and diagnostic prediction of cancers using gene expression profiling and artificial neural networks. Nat Med 2001; 7: 673–9., , , , , , , , , , .
- 11The PANTHER database of protein families, subfamilies, functions and pathways. Nucleic Acids Res 2005; 33: D284–D288., , , , , , , , , , , .
- 12DAVID: Database for Annotation, Visualization, and Integrated Discovery. Genome Biol 2003; 4: P3., , , , , , .
- 13pTARGET [corrected] a new method for predicting protein subcellular localization in eukaryotes. Bioinformatics 2005; 21: 3963–9., .
- 14Genes that mediate breast cancer metastasis to lung. Nature 2005; 436: 518–24., , , , , , , , , .
- 15In vivo selection of highly metastatic cells from surgical specimens of different primary human colon carcinomas implanted into nude mice. Cancer Res 1988; 48: 1943–8., , , .
- 16In vivo selection and characterization of metastatic variants from human pancreatic adenocarcinoma by using orthotopic implantation in nude mice. Neoplasia 1999; 1: 50–62., , , , .
- 17Development of an orthotopic model to study the biology and therapy of primary human lung cancer in nude mice. Clin Cancer Res 2003; 9: 5532–9., , , , , , , .
- 18An orthotopic nude mouse model of oral tongue squamous cell carcinoma. Clin Cancer Res 2002; 8: 293–8., , , , .
- 19Applications for protein sequence-function evolution data: mRNA/protein expression analysis and coding SNP scoring tools. Nucleic Acids Res 2006; 34: W645–W650., , , , , , .
- 20Hexokinase II: cancer's double-edged sword acting as both facilitator and gatekeeper of malignancy when bound to mitochondria. Oncogene 2006; 25: 4777–86., , .
- 21Warburg, me and Hexokinase 2: multiple discoveries of key molecular events underlying one of cancers' most common phenotypes, the “Warburg Effect”, i.e., elevated glycolysis in the presence of oxygen. J Bioenerg Biomembr 2007; 39: 211–22..
- 22Damaged DNA binding protein 2 plays a role in breast cancer cell growth. PLoS One 2008; 3: e2002., , , , , , , , .
- 23DDB complexities. DNA Repair (Amst) 2003; 2: 1065–9., .
- 24Thymidine kinases: the enzymes and their clinical usefulness. Cancer Biother 1993; 8: 189–97., , , , .
- 25Human thymidine kinase 1. Regulation in normal and malignant cells. Adv Enzyme Regul 1995; 35: 69–89., , , .
- 26Cingulin, a specific protein component of tight junctions, is expressed in normal and neoplastic human epithelial tissues. Am J Pathol 1991; 138: 781–9., , , , .
- 27JACOP, a novel plaque protein localizing at the apical junctional complex with sequence similarity to cingulin. J Biol Chem 2004; 279: 46014–22., , , , , .
- 28Secretogranin II: a key AP-1-regulated protein that mediates neuronal differentiation and protection from nitric oxide-induced apoptosis of neuroblastoma cells. Cell Death Differ 2008; 15: 879–88., , .
- 29All-trans-retinoic acid inhibits collapsin response mediator protein-2 transcriptional activity during SH-SY5Y neuroblastoma cell differentiation. FEBS J 2007; 274: 498–511., , , , .
- 30Induction of CRMP-2 by GDNF and analysis of the CRMP-2 promoter region. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 2004; 320: 108–15., , , , , .
- 31Phosphorylated neurofilaments and SNAP-25 in cultured SH-SY5Y neuroblastoma cells. Brain Res 2002; 934: 43–8., , , .
- 32Distribution and expression of SNAP-25 immunoreactivity in rat brain, rat PC-12 cells and human SMS-KCNR neuroblastoma cells. Brain Res Dev Brain Res 1992; 65: 133–46., , , , .
- 33[Molecules of regulated secretion are differentiation markers of neuroendocrine tumors]. Verh Dtsch Ges Pathol 1997; 81: 157–61., , , , , , , .
- 34The expression and intracellular distribution of the heat-stable protein kinase inhibitor is cell cycle regulated. J Biol Chem 1995; 270: 2041–6., , .
- 35Generation of RAGE-1 and MAGE-9 peptide-specific cytotoxic T-lymphocyte lines for transfer in patients with renal cell carcinoma. Int J Cancer 2005; 117: 256–64., , , , , , .
- 36Molecular cloning, mapping and characterization of a novel mouse RING finger gene, Mrf1. Gene 2002; 291: 241–9., , .
- 37Neuroblastomaed. Heidelberg, Germany: Springer, 2005., .
- 38Lung involvement in neuroblastoma: incidence and characteristics. Med Pediatr Oncol 1997; 28: 429–32., , .
- 39Pulmonary metastases in neuroblastoma. AJR Am J Roentgenol 1982; 138: 75–8., .
- 40Pulmonary metastases at diagnosis of neuroblastoma in pediatric patients: CT findings and prognosis. AJR Am J Roentgenol 2001; 176: 755–9., , , , , .
- 41Molecular portraits of human breast tumours. Nature 2000; 406: 747–52., , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 42Gene expression profiles of primary breast tumors maintained in distant metastases. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2003; 100: 15901–5., , , , , .
- 43Ontology annotation: mapping genomic regions to biological function. Curr Opin Chem Biol 2007; 11: 4–11., , .
- 44Tumor cell metabolism: cancer's Achilles' heel. Cancer Cell 2008; 13: 472–82., .
- 45Genetic determinants of cancer metastasis. Nat Rev Genet 2007; 8: 341–52., .
- 46Hexokinase-2 bound to mitochondria: cancer's stygian link to the “Warburg Effect” and a pivotal target for effective therapy. Semin Cancer Biol 2009; 19: 17–24., , .
- 47Gene expression changes in an animal melanoma model correlate with aggressiveness of human melanoma metastases. Mol Cancer Res 2008; 6: 760–9., , , , , , , , , .
- 48Differential tumorigenicity of 3T3 cells transformed in vitro with polyoma virus and in vivo selection for high tumorigenicity. Cancer Res 1989; 49: 2383–9., .