Early Detection and Diagnosis
A blood-based biomarker panel for stratifying current risk for colorectal cancer
Version of Record online: 30 SEP 2009
Copyright © 2009 UICC
International Journal of Cancer
Volume 126, Issue 5, pages 1177–1186, 1 March 2010
How to Cite
Marshall, K. W., Mohr, S., Khettabi, F. E., Nossova, N., Chao, S., Bao, W., Ma, J., Li, X.-J. and Liew, C.-C. (2010), A blood-based biomarker panel for stratifying current risk for colorectal cancer. Int. J. Cancer, 126: 1177–1186. doi: 10.1002/ijc.24910
- Issue online: 27 DEC 2009
- Version of Record online: 30 SEP 2009
- Accepted manuscript online: 30 SEP 2009 12:00AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 8 SEP 2009
- Manuscript Received: 31 JUL 2009
- GeneNews Ltd., Richmond Hill
- 1American Cancer Society. Detailed guide: colon and rectum cancer. Atlanta: American Cancer Society, 2008. Available at: http://www.cancer.org/docroot/CRI/CRI_2_3x.asp?dt=10. Accessed March 23, 2009.
- 2Cancer Research UK. Bowel (colorectal cancer). Key facts on bowel cancer, 2008. Available at: http://info.cancerresearchuk.org/cancerstats/types/bowel/. Accessed March 23, 2009.
- 3Natural history of untreated colonic polyps. Gastroenterol 1987; 92: 1009–13., , , , , .
- 4Colon cancer survival rates with the new American Joint Committee on cancer sixth edition staging. J NCI 2004; 96: 1420–5., , .
- 5US Preventive Services Task Force. Screening for colorectal cancer: recommendations and rationale. Ann Intern Med 2002; 137: 129–31.
- 6Canadian Task Force on Preventive Health Care. Colorectal cancer screening: recommendation statement from the Canadian Task Force on Preventive Health Care. CMAJ 2001; 165: 206–8.
- 7Can cancer risk information raise awareness without increasing anxiety? A randomized trial. Prev Med 2006; 43: 187–90., , , , .
- 8Enthusiasm for cancer screening in the United States. JAMA 2004; 291: 71–8., , , .
- 9US Department of Health and Human Services Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Colorectal cancer test use among persons aged greater than or equal to 50 years—United States, 2001. MMWR 2003; 52: 193–6.
- 10Frequency of colorectal screening and the impact of family physicians on screening behaviour. CMAJ 2007; 177: 593–97., , , .
- 11American Cancer Society. Cancer prevention and early detection facts and figures. Atlanta: American Cancer Society, 2007.
- 12Improving colorectal cancer screening in primary care practice: innovative strategies and future directions. J Gen Int Med 2007; 22: 1195–205., , , , , , .
- 13Complications of colonoscopy in an integrated health care delivery system. Ann Intern Med 2006; 145: 880–6., , , , , , .
- 14Peripheral blood transcriptome dynamically reflects system wide biology: a potential diagnostic tool. J Lab Clin Med 2006; 147: 126–32., , , , .
- 15Transcriptional profiling of peripheral blood in oncology. In: BurczynskiME, RockettJC, eds. Surrogate tissue analysis: genomic, proteomic and metabolomic approaches. Boca Raton, FL: Taylor and Francis, 2006. 47–63..
- 16Novel, blood-based five-gene panel biomarker set for the detection of colorectal cancer. Clin Cancer Res 2008; 14: 455–60., , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 17Colorectal Cancer Study Group. Faecal DNA versus faecal occult blood for colorectal-cancer screening in an average-risk population. New Engl J Med 2004; 351: 2704–14., , , , ;
- 18Polygenes, risk prediction, and targeted prevention of breast cancer. N Engl J Med 2008; 358: 2796–803., , , .
- 19A simple method for assessing sample sizes in microarray experiments. BMC Bioinformatics 2006; 7: 106.,
- 20Primer 3 on the WWW for general users and for biologist programmers. In: KrawetzS, MisenerS, eds. Bioinformatics methods and protocols: methods in molecular biology. Totowa, NJ: Humana Press, 2000: 365–86., .
- 21Analysis of relative gene expression data using real-time quantitative PCR and the 2(-Delta Delta C(T)) method. Methods 2001; 25: 402–8., .
- 22Using gene expression ratios to predict outcome among patients with mesothelioma. J NCI 2003; 95: 598–605., , , , , , , , .
- 23The elements of statistical learning: data mining, inference, and prediction. New York: Springer-Verlag, 2001., , .
- 24On a test of whether one of two random variables is stochastically larger than the other. Ann Math Stat 1947; 18: 50–60., .
- 25Pattern classification, 2nd edn. New York: Wiley, 2000., , .
- 26An analysis of variance test for normality (complete samples). Biometrika 1965; 52: 591–611., .
- 27A systematic review and meta-analysis of familial colorectal cancer risk. Am J Gastroenterol 2001; 96: 2992–3003., .
- 28Relative and absolute risk of colorectal cancer for individuals with a family history: a meta-analysis. Eur J Cancer 2006; 42: 216–27., , .
- 29Screening and surveillance for the early detection of colorectal cancer and adenomatous polyps, 2008: a joint guideline from the American Cancer Society, the US Multi-Society Task Force on Colorectal Cancer and the American College of Radiology. CA cancer. J Clin 2008; 58: 130–60., , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 30The peripheral blood transcriptome: new insights into disease and risk assessment. Trends Mol Med 2007; 13: 422–32., .
- 31Annexin A3 is a potential angiogenic mediator. Biochem Biophys Res Comm 2005; 337: 1283–7., , , , , , .
- 32Interleukin-2 and its receptor complex (alpha, beta and gamma chains) in in situ and infiltrative human breast cancer: an immunohistochemical comparative study. Br Can Res 2004; 6: R1–6., , , , ,
- 33Projections of demand and capacity for colonoscopy related to increasing rates of colorectal cancer screening in the United States. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2004; 20: 507–15., , , , .