The first three authors contributed equally to this work
Early Detection and Diagnosis
Multiple serological biomarkers for colorectal cancer detection
Article first published online: 30 SEP 2009
Copyright © 2009 UICC
International Journal of Cancer
Volume 126, Issue 7, pages 1683–1690, 1 April 2010
How to Cite
Chan, C.-C., Fan, C.-W., Kuo, Y.-B., Chen, Y.-H., Chang, P.-Y., Chen, K.-T., Hung, R.-P. and Chan, E.-C. (2010), Multiple serological biomarkers for colorectal cancer detection. Int. J. Cancer, 126: 1683–1690. doi: 10.1002/ijc.24912
- Issue published online: 28 JAN 2010
- Article first published online: 30 SEP 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 4 SEP 2009
- Manuscript Received: 14 AUG 2009
- Chang Gung Medical Research Grants. Grant Number: CMRPG270251
- 1Global cancer statistics, 2002. CA Cancer. J Clin 2005; 55: 74–108., , , .
- 2Cancer statistics, 2006. CA Cancer. J Clin 2006; 56: 106–30., , , , , , .
- 3Minimally invasive biomarkers for detection and staging of colorectal cancer. Cancer Lett 2007; 249: 87–96..
- 4Carcinoma of the colon: long-term survival and prognosis after surgical treatment in a series of 798 patients. World J Surg 1987; 11: 804–9., .
- 5Colon cancer screening strategies. Curr Opin Gastroenterol 2005; 21: 59–63., .
- 6National Academy of Clinical Biochemistry laboratory medicine practice guidelines for use of tumor markers in testicular, prostate, colorectal, breast, and ovarian cancers. Clin Chem 2008; 54: e11–79., , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 7A comparison of fecal occult-blood tests for colorectal-cancer screening. N Engl J Med 1996; 334: 155–9., , , .
- 8Randomised controlled trial of faecal-occult-blood screening for colorectal cancer. Lancet 1996; 348: 1472–7., , , , , , , .
- 9Sensitivity and specificity of CA242 in gastro-intestinal cancer. A comparison with. CEA, CA50 and. CA 19-9. Br J Cancer 1992; 65: 215–21., , , , , , .
- 10Tumour markers in colorectal cancer: European Group on Tumour Markers (EGTM) guidelines for clinical use. Eur J Cancer 2007; 43: 1348–60., , , , , , , , , .
- 11Value of tumor markers in diagnosing and monitoring colorectal cancer and strategies for further improvement: analysis of 130 cases. Ai Zheng 2007; 26: 1221–6., , , .
- 12Tumor markers in staging and prognosis of colorectal carcinoma. Neoplasma 2008; 55: 138–42., , , .
- 13Carcinoembryonic antigen. Ann Intern Med 1986; 104: 66–73..
- 14The association of preoperative serum tumour markers with Dukes' stage and survival in colorectal cancer. Br J Cancer 1995; 71: 1090–4., , , .
- 15Value of carcinoembryonic antigen in the management of colorectal cancer. Dis Colon Rectum 1994; 37: 272–7., , .
- 16Autoantibody responses in Chinese hepatocellular carcinoma. J Clin Immunol 2002; 22: 98–105., , , .
- 17Autoantibodies as reporters identifying aberrant cellular mechanisms in tumorigenesis. J Clin Invest 2001; 108: 1411–5..
- 18De-novo humoral immune responses to cancer-associated autoantigens during transition from chronic liver disease to hepatocellular carcinoma. Clin Exp Immunol 2001; 125: 3–9., , , , , .
- 19Analysis of the anti-p53 antibody response in cancer patients. Cancer Res 1993; 53: 3468–71., , , .
- 20p53 Antibodies in the sera of patients with various types of cancer: a review. Cancer Res 2000; 60: 1777–88..
- 21Serum tumor markers: past, state of the art, and future. Int J Biol Markers 2001; 16: 73–86., .
- 22From TCR engagement to T cell activation: a kinetic view of T cell behavior. Cell 1999; 96: 1–4., , .
- 23T cell activation determined by T cell receptor number and tunable thresholds. Science 1996; 273: 104–6., .
- 24Existent T-cell and antibody immunity to HER-2/neu protein in patients with breast cancer. Cancer Res 1994; 54: 16–20., , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 25Immunity to oncogenic proteins. Immunol Rev 1995; 145: 33–59., , , , , , , , .
- 26Human neoplasms elicit multiple specific immune responses in the autologous host. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 1995; 92: 11810–3., , , , , , , , , .
- 27Simultaneous humoral and cellular immune response against cancer-testis antigen NY-ESO-1: definition of human histocompatibility leukocyte antigen (HLA)-A2-binding peptide epitopes. J Exp Med 1998; 187: 265–70., , , , , , , , , , , .
- 28Characterization of human colon cancer antigens recognized by autologous antibodies. Int J Cancer 1998; 76: 652–8., , , , , , , , , .
- 29Antigens recognized by autologous antibody in patients with renal-cell carcinoma. Int J Cancer 1999; 83: 456–64., , , , , , , , , , , .
- 30Targeting serum antibody for cancer diagnosis: a focus on colorectal cancer. Expert Opin Ther Targets 2007; 11: 235–44., , .
- 31Enhancement of antibody detection in cancer using panel of recombinant tumor-associated antigens. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2003; 12: 136–43., , , , , .
- 32Cancer vaccine: identification of human tumor antigens by SEREX. Cancer J 2000; 6: S208–17..
- 33Characterisation of tumour-associated antigens in colon cancer. Cancer Immunol Immunother 2002; 51: 574–82., , , , , .
- 34Cancer-related serological recognition of human colon cancer: identification of potential diagnostic and immunotherapeutic targets. Cancer Res 2002; 62: 4041–7., , , , , , , , , , , .
- 35Identification and characterization of the novel centrosome-associated protein CCCAP. Gene 2003; 303: 35–46., , , , .
- 36An improved ELISA for anti-native DNA by elimination of interference by anti-histone antibodies. J Immunol Methods 1983; 63: 359–66., , .
- 37Antibody response to a non-conserved C-terminal part of human histone deacetylase 3 in colon cancer patients. Int J Cancer 2005; 117: 800–6., , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 38An immune response manifested by the common occurrence of annexins I and II autoantibodies and high circulating levels of IL-6 in lung cancer. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2001; 98: 9824–9., , , , , , .
- 39PHF3-specific antibody responses in over 60% of patients with glioblastoma multiforme. Oncogene 2001; 20: 4107–14., , , , , , , , , .
- 40Autoantibody signatures in prostate cancer. N Engl J Med 2005; 353: 1224–35., , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 41Antibodies against p53 are associated with poor prognosis of colorectal cancer. Br J Cancer 1995; 72: 637–41., , , , , , .
- 42Total levels of tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinases 1 in plasma yield high diagnostic sensitivity and specificity in patients with colon cancer. Clin Cancer Res 2002; 8: 156–64., , , , , , , , , , , .
- 43Serum p53 antibodies as early markers of lung cancer. Nat Med 1995; 1: 701–2., , , , , , , .
- 44Circulating p53 antibodies as early markers of oral cancer: correlation with p53 alterations. Clin Cancer Res 1998; 4: 2147–52., , , , , .
- 45High-titer HER-2/neu protein-specific antibody can be detected in patients with early-stage breast cancer. J Clin Oncol 1997; 15: 3363–7., , , , , .
- 46The structure, metabolism and function of the carcinoembryonic antigen gene family. Biochim Biophys Acta 1990; 1032: 177–89., , , , .
- 47Carcinoembryonic antigen as a marker for colorectal cancer: is it clinically useful? Clin Chem 2001; 47: 624–30..
- 48Preoperative carcinoembryonic antigen level as a prognostic indicator in colorectal cancer. N Engl J Med 1978; 299: 448–51., , , , , , .