Tel: 318-675-7732, Fax: 318-675-8395
Cancer Cell Biology
Identification of ATP citrate lyase as a positive regulator of glycolytic function in glioblastomas
Article first published online: 30 SEP 2009
Copyright © 2009 UICC
International Journal of Cancer
Volume 126, Issue 10, pages 2282–2295, 15 May 2010
How to Cite
Beckner, M. E., Fellows-Mayle, W., Zhang, Z., Agostino, N. R., Kant, J. A., Day, B. W. and Pollack, I. F. (2010), Identification of ATP citrate lyase as a positive regulator of glycolytic function in glioblastomas. Int. J. Cancer, 126: 2282–2295. doi: 10.1002/ijc.24918
- Issue published online: 22 MAR 2010
- Article first published online: 30 SEP 2009
- Accepted manuscript online: 30 SEP 2009 12:00AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 2 SEP 2009
- Manuscript Received: 30 MAR 2009
- The Walter L. Copeland Fund for Cranial Research of The Pittsburgh Foundation. Grant Number: D2006-0379
- NIH. Grant Number: P01-NS40923
- The Nick Eric Wichman Foundation
- The Beez Foundation
- TATRC/Department of Defense
- USAMRAA Prime Award W81XWH-05-2-0066. Grant Number: R01-NS37704
- 1High glycolysis in gliomas despite low hexokinase transcription and activity correlated to chromosome 10 loss. Br J Cancer 1996; 74: 839–45., , , , , , , .
- 2Gliomas are driven by glycolysis: putative roles of hexokinase, oxidative phosphorylation and mitochondrial ultrastructure. Anticancer Res 1997; 17: 1903–11., , , , , .
- 3Blood flow, oxygen and nutrient supply, and metabolic microenvironment of human tumors: a review. Cancer Res 1989; 49: 6449–65., , .
- 4Glycolysis as primary energy source in tumor cell chemotaxis. J Natl Cancer Inst 1990; 82: 1836–40., , , .
- 5Glycolytic glioma cells with active glycogen synthase are sensitive to PTEN and inhibitors of PI3K and gluconeogenesis. Lab Invest 2005; 85: 316–25., , , , , , .
- 6Proteomic characterization of harvested pseudopodia with differential gel electrophoresis and specific antibodies. Lab Invest 2005; 85: 316–27., , , , .
- 7The citrate cleavage enzyme. I. Distribution and purification. J Biol Chem 1959; 234: 2544–7..
- 8Transport of malate and citrate into rat brain mitochondria under hypoxia and anesthesia. Neurochem Res 1979; 4: 355–64..
- 9The application of quantitative histochemistry to the pharmacology of the nervous system. Biochem Pharmacol 1962; 9: 173–80., .
- 10Effect of (−)-hydroxycitrate on the activities of ATP citrate lyase and the enzymes of acetyl-CoA metabolism in rat brain. Acta Biochim Pol 1976; 23: 227–34., , , .
- 11Control of phosphofructokinase from rat skeletal muscle. J Biol Chem 1976; 251: 7322–8., .
- 12Repository of Molecular Brain Neoplasia Database (REMBRANDT) v1.5.2, generated and maintained by the NCI and NINDS at NIH. Available at: http://rembrandt.nci.nih.gov, February, 2009 data.
- 13In vitro study of astrocytic tumour metabolism by proton magnetic resonance spectroscopy. Gen Physiol Biophys 2005; 24: 327–35., , , , , , , , .
- 14Glioblastoma and cerebral microvascular endothelial cell migration in response to tumor-associated growth factors. Neurosurgery 2003; 52: 1391–9; discussion 1399., , , , , .
- 15Radicicol binds and inhibits mammalian ATP citrate lyase. J Biol Chem 2000; 275: 39231–6., , , , , .
- 16Tumor cells from ultrasonic aspirations of glioblastomas migrate and form spheres with radial outgrowth. Cancer Lett 2007; 255: 135–44., , , , , , .
- 17GAPDH is not regulated in human glioblastoma under hypoxic conditions. BMC Mol Biol 2007; 8: 55. Doi:10.1186/1471–2199-8–55., , , , , , , .
- 18Albumin marks pseudopodia of astrocytoma cells responding to hepatocyte growth factor or serum. Lab Invest 2006; 86: 1103–14., , , , .
- 19Glycogen in astrocytes: possible function as lactate supply for neighboring cells. Brain Res 1993; 623: 208–14., , .
- 20Effects of glucose deprivation, chemical hypoxia, and simulated ischemia on Na+ homeostasis in rat spinal cord astrocytes. J Neurosci 1998; 18: 3554–62., , .
- 21Astrocyte glucose metabolism under normal and pathological conditions in vitro. Dev Neurosci 1996; 18: 515–21., .
- 22Cytochrome oxidase inhibition: a novel animal model of Alzheimer's disease. J Geriatr Psychiatry Neurol 1992; 5: 93–101., , , , .
- 23Synergy between chronic corticosterone and sodium azide treatments in producing a spatial learning deficit and inhibiting cytochrome oxidase activity. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 1996; 93: 1330–4., , , .
- 24Chronic in vivo sodium azide infusion induces selective and stable inhibition of cytochrome c oxidase. J Neurochem 1996; 66: 2606–11., , , .
- 25Effects of in vivo sodium azide administration on the immunohistochemical localization of kynurenine aminotransferase in the rat brain. Neuroscience 1999; 94: 269–77., , .
- 26Effects of chronic sodium azide on brain and muscle cytochrome oxidase activity: a potential model to investigate environmental contributions to neurodegenerative diseases. J Toxicol Environ Health A 2001; 63: 67–77., , .
- 27Neuroprotective role of δ-opiod receptors against mitochondrial respiratory chain injury. Brain Res 2009; 1252: 183–191., , , , , .
- 28Sodium azide induced neuronal damage in vitro: evidence for non-apoptotic cell death. Neurochem Res 2009; 34: 909–16., , , , , , .
- 29Acetyl-L-carnitine selectively prevents post-ischemic LTP via a possible action on mitochondrial energy metabolism. Neuropharmacology 2008; 55: 223–9., , , , , , , .
- 30Isolation of enzymically active fragments formed by limited proteolysis of ATP citrate lyase. Eur J Biochem 1982; 125: 645–50., , .
- 31Structure of ATP citrate lyase from rat liver. Physicochemical studies and proteolytic modification. J Biol Chem 1976; 251: 5242–50., , , .
- 32Effects of natural extract of (−)-hydroxycitric acid (HCA-SX) and a combination of HCA- SX plus niacin-bound chromium and Gymnema sylvestre extract on weight loss. Diabetes Obes Metab 2004; 6: 171–80., , , , , .
- 33Using natural product inhibitors to validate Hsp90 as a molecular target in cancer. Curr Top Med Chem 2006; 6: 1163..
- 34The heat shock protein 90 inhibitor, 17-allylamino-17-demethoxygeldanamycin, enhances osteoclast formation and potentiates bone metastasis of a human breast cancer cell line. Cancer Res 2005; 65: 4929–38., , , , , , , , , , .
- 35The Met kinase inhibitor SU11274 exhibits a selective inhibition pattern toward different receptor mutated variants. Oncogene 2004; 23: 5387–93., , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 36Functional expression and mutations of c-Met and its therapeutic inhibition with SU11274 and small interfering RNA in non-small cell lung cancer. Cancer Res 2005; 65: 1479–88., , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 37HGF protects rat mesangial cells from high-glucose-mediated oxidative stress. Am J Nephrol 2006; 26: 519–30., , , , .
- 38c-Met is a potentially new therapeutic target for treatment of human melanoma. Clin Cancer Res 2007; 13: 2246–53., , , , , , , .
- 39Lipogenesis in the brain of suckling rats. Studies on the mechanism of mitochondrial-cytosolic carbon transfer. Biochm J 1980; 188: 163–8., .
- 40First direct demonstration of preferential release of citrate from astrocytes using [13C]NMR spectroscopy of cultured neurons and astrocytes. Neurosci Lett 1991; 128: 235–9., , , , , .
- 41Multiple compartments with different metabolic characteristics are involved in biosynthesis of intracellular and released glutamine and citrate in astrocytes. Glia 2001; 35: 246–52., , , .
- 42Enhanced rate of citrate export from cholesterol-rich hepatoma mitochondria. The truncated. Krebs cycle and other metabolic ramifications of mitochondrial membrane cholesterol. J Biol Chem 1984; 259: 9997–10003., .
- 43Diversity of metabolic patterns in human brain tumors: enzymes of energy metabolism and related metabolites and cofactors. J Neurochem 1983; 41: 994–1010., , , , , , .
- 44Citrate in pediatric CNS tumors? AJ NR Am J Neuroradiol 2008; 29: 1006–1011., , , , .
- 45Pseudopalisades in glioblastoma are hypoxic, express extracellular matrix proteases, and are formed by an actively migrating cell population. Cancer Res 2004; 64: 920–927., , , , , , , , .
- 46Vaso-occlusive and prothrombotic mechanisms associated with tumor hypoxia, necrosis, and accelerated growth in glioblastoma. Lab Invest 2004; 84: 397–405., .
- 47Hypoxia-induced drug resistance: comparison to P-glycoprotein-associated drug resistance. Br J Cancer 1991; 64: 809–14., , , , , .
- 48Differential protective effects of varying degrees of hypoxia on the cytotoxicities of etoposide and bleomycin. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 1987; 19: 282–6., , , .
- 49Role of hypoxia in anticancer drug-induced cytotoxicity for Ehrlich ascites cells. Cancer Res 1987; 47: 2407–12., .
- 50Drug resistance in Chinese hamster ovary cells during recovery from severe hypoxia. J Natl Cancer Inst 1989; 81: 1235–40., , .
- 51Effect of transient hypoxia on sensitivity to doxorubicin in human and murine cell lines. J Natl Cancer Inst 1990; 82: 684–92., , , .
- 52Hypoxia-induced resistance to cisplatin and doxorubicin in non-small cell lung cancer is inhibited by silencing of HIF-1alpha gene. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 2006; 58: 776–84., , , , , , .
- 53Hypoxia-induced resistance to doxorubicin and methotrexate in human melanoma cell lines in vitro. Int J Cancer 1994; 58: 258–62., .
- 54Mutation in mitochondrial complex I ND6 subunit is associated with defective response to hypoxia in human glioma cells. Mol Cancer 2004; 3: 19., , , , , .
- 55STI571's inhibition of spontaneous cell motility in Boyden chambers shows specificity for cell type and non-hypoxic conditions. Proc Am Assoc Cancer Res 2002; 43: 1084., , .
- 56Cooperation and competition in the evolution of ATP-producing pathways. Science 2001; 292: 504–7., , .
- 57ATP citrate lyase inhibition can suppress tumor cell growth. Cancer Cell 2005; 8: 311–21., , , , , , , , .
- 58ATP-citrate lyase links cellular metabolism to histone acetylation. Science 2009; 324: 1076–80., , , , , .
- 59Analysis of neurosterols and neurosteroids by mass spectrometry. Biochimie 2007; 89: 182–91., , .
- 60Plasma free fatty acid and lipoproteins as sources of polyunsaturated fatty acid for the brain. J Mol Neurosci 2001; 16: 159–65..
- 61Mimicry of a cellular low energy status blocks tumor cell anabolism and suppresses the malignant phenotype. Cancer Res 2005; 65: 2441–8., , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 62Bioefficacy of a novel calcium-potassium salt of (−)-hydroxycitric acid. Mutat Res 2005; 579: 149–62., , , , , .
- 63Effects of acute (−)-hydroxycitrate supplementation on substrate metabolism at rest and during exercise in humans. Am J Clin Nutr 2000; 72: 1445–50., , , , , .
- 64Safety and mechanism of appetite suppression by a novel hydroxycitric acid extract (HCA-SX). Mol Cell Biochem 2002; 238: 89–103., , , , , .
- 65ATP citrate lyase: activation and therapeutic implications in non-small cell lung cancer. Cancer Res 2008; 68: 8547–54., , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 66Co-ordinate activation of lipogenic enzymes in hepatocellular carcinoma. Eur J Cancer 2005; 41: 1316–22., , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 672-Deoxy-D-glucose combined with cisplatin enhances cytotoxicity via metabolic oxidative stress in human head and neck cancer cells. Cancer Res 2007; 67: 3364–70., , , , .
- 68Biochemical modulation of tumor cell energy. IV. Evidence for the contribution of adenosine triphosphate (ATP) depletion to chemotherapeutically-induced tumor regression. Biochem Pharmacol 1995; 50: 1943–48., , , .
- 69ATP depletion + pyrimidine depletion can markedly enhance cancer therapy: fresh insight for a new approach. Cancer Res 2000; 60: 6776–83., , .
- 702-Deoxy-D-glucose increases the efficacy of adriamycin and paclitaxel in human osteosarcoma and non-small cell lung cancers in vivo. Cancer Res 2004; 64: 31–4., , , , , , , .