Serum levels of IGF-I, IGFBP-3 and colorectal cancer risk: results from the EPIC cohort, plus a meta-analysis of prospective studies
Version of Record online: 6 OCT 2009
Copyright © 2009 UICC
International Journal of Cancer
Volume 126, Issue 7, pages 1702–1715, 1 April 2010
How to Cite
Rinaldi, S., Cleveland, R., Norat, T., Biessy, C., Rohrmann, S., Linseisen, J., Boeing, H., Pischon, T., Panico, S., Agnoli, C., Palli, D., Tumino, R., Vineis, P., Peeters, P. H.M., van Gils, C. H., Bueno-de-Mesquita, B. H., Vrieling, A., Allen, N. E., Roddam, A., Bingham, S., Khaw, K.-T., Manjer, J., Borgquist, S., Dumeaux, V., Torhild Gram, I., Lund, E., Trichopoulou, A., Makrygiannis, G., Benetou, V., Molina, E., Donate Suárez, I., Barricarte Gurrea, A., Gonzalez, C. A., Tormo, M.-J., Altzibar, J. M., Olsen, A., Tjonneland, A., Grønbæk, H., Overvad, K., Clavel-Chapelon, F., Boutron-Ruault, M.-C., Morois, S., Slimani, N., Boffetta, P., Jenab, M., Riboli, E. and Kaaks, R. (2010), Serum levels of IGF-I, IGFBP-3 and colorectal cancer risk: results from the EPIC cohort, plus a meta-analysis of prospective studies. Int. J. Cancer, 126: 1702–1715. doi: 10.1002/ijc.24927
- Issue online: 28 JAN 2010
- Version of Record online: 6 OCT 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 11 AUG 2009
- Manuscript Received: 27 MAY 2009
- National Cancer Institute (USA). Grant Number: 1RO1CA102460
- Spanish Ministry of Health; ISCIII European Commission: Public Health and Consumer Protection Directorate 1993-2004; Research Directorate-General 2005
- Ligue Contre le Cancer (France)
- Société 3M (France)
- Mutuelle Générale de l'Education Nationale
- Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale (INSERM)
- German Cancer Aid
- German Cancer Research Center
- German Federal Ministry of Education and Research
- Danish Cancer Society
- ISCIII (Retic-RD 0610020) of the Spanish Ministry of Health
- Participating Regional Governments and Institutions of Spain
- CIBER Epidemiología y Salud Pública (CIBERESP), Spain, Cancer Research UK
- Greek Ministry of Health and Social Solidarity
- Hellenic Health Foundation and Stavros Niarchos Foundation
- Medical Research Council, UK
- Stroke Association, UK
- British Heart Foundation
- Department of Health, UK
- Food Standards Agency, UK
- Greek Ministry of Health
- Greek Ministry of Education
- Italian Association for Research on Cancer
- Italian National Research Council
- Dutch Ministry of Public Health
- Welfare and Sports
- Dutch Ministry of Health
- Dutch Prevention Funds
- LK Research Funds
- Dutch ZON (Zorg Onderzoek Nederland)
- World Cancer Research Fund (WCRF)
- Swedish Cancer Society
- Swedish Scientific Council
- Regional Government of Skane, Sweden, Norwegian Cancer Society
- 1Nutritional regulation of the insulin-like growth factors. Endocr Rev 1994; 15: 80–101., , .
- 2Nutrition and the insulin-like growth factor system. Endocrine 1997; 7: 65–71., .
- 3Insulin-like growth factors and cancer. J LA State Med Soc 1999; 151: 218–23., .
- 4Energy balance and cancer: the role of insulin and insulin-like growth factor-I. Proc Nutr Soc 2001; 60: 91–106., .
- 5The insulin-like growth factor system and cancer. Cancer Lett 2003; 195: 127–37.,
- 6Genetic and environmental components of interindividual variation in circulating levels of IGF-I. IGF-II, IGFBP-1, and. IGFBP-3. J Clin Invest 1996; 98: 2612–15., , , , , , , , , , .
- 7Insulin-like growth factor-I comparisons in healthy twin children. J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 1994; 78( 2): 310–2., , .
- 8The ratio between serum levels of insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-I and the IGF binding proteins (IGFBP-1, 2 and 3) decreases with age in healthy adults and is increased in acromegalic patients. Clin. Endocrinol (Oxf). 1994; 41( 1): 85–93., , , , , .
- 9Diet, serum insulin-like growth factor-I and IGF-binding protein-3 in European women. Eur J Clin Nutr 2007; 61: 91–8., , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 10Dietary correlates of plasma insulin-like growth factor I and insulin-like growth factor binding protein 3 concentrations. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2002; 11: 852–61., , , .
- 11Meat, fish, and colorectal cancer risk: the European Prospective Investigation into cancer and nutrition. J Natl Cancer Inst 2005; 97: 906–16., , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 12Dietary and lifestyle correlates of plasma insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I) and IGF binding protein-3 (IGFBP-3): the multiethnic cohort. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2004; 13: 1444–51., , , , , .
- 13A cross-sectional study of IGF-I determinants in women. Eur J Cancer Prev 2001; 10: 443–52., , , , , , , , , , .
- 14Insulin-like growth factors and neoplasia. Nat Rev Cancer 2004; 4: 505–18., , .
- 15The effects of insulin-like growth factors on tumorigenesis and neoplastic growth. Endocr Rev 2000; 21: 215–44., , , .
- 16Structural biology of insulin and IGF1 receptors: implications for drug design. Nat Rev Drug Discov 2002; 1: 769–83., .
- 17The role of the IGF system in cancer growth and metastasis: overview and recent insights. Endocr Rev 2007; 28: 20–47., , , .
- 18Insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-I. IGF binding protein-3, and cancer risk: systematic review and meta-regression analysis. Lancet 2004; 363: 1346–53., , , , , .
- 19The insulin-like growth factor system in cancer prevention: potential of dietary intervention strategies. Cancer. Epidemiol. Biomarkers. Prev. 2005; 14( 1): 195–203., , , , .
- 20Isolated isoflavones do not affect the circulating insulin-like growth factor system in men at increased colorectal cancer risk. J Nutr 2007; 137: 379–83., , , , , , , , , , , .
- 21No effect of red clover-derived isoflavone intervention on the insulin-like growth factor system in women at increased risk of colorectal cancer. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2008; 17: 2585–93., , , , , , , , , , , .
- 22Effects of dietary intervention on IGF-I and IGF-binding proteins, and related alterations in sex steroid metabolism: the Diet and Androgens (DIANA) Randomised Trial. Eur J Clin Nutr 2003; 57: 1079–88., , , , , , , , .
- 23Long-term effects of calorie or protein restriction on serum IGF-1 and IGFBP-3 concentration in humans. Aging Cell 2008; 7: 681–7., , , , .
- 24The insulin-like growth factor system as a therapeutic target in colorectal cancer. Ann Oncol 2002; 13: 349–56., .
- 25Targeting insulin-like growth factor pathways. Br J Cancer 2006; 94: 465–8..
- 26Prospective study of colorectal cancer risk in men and plasma levels of insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-I and IGF-binding protein-3. J Natl Cancer Inst 1999; 91: 620–5., , , , , , .
- 27A prospective study of plasma insulin-like growth factor-1 and binding protein-3 and risk of colorectal neoplasia in women. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2000; 9: 345–9., , , , , , , , .
- 28Serum C-peptide, insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-I. IGF-binding proteins, and colorectal cancer risk in women. J Natl Cancer Inst 2000; 92: 1592–600., , , , , , , , , .
- 29IGF-1. IGF-2 and. IGFBP-3 in prediagnostic serum: association with colorectal cancer in a cohort of Chinese men in Shanghai. Br J Cancer 2001; 85: 1695–9., , , , , .
- 30Plasma insulin-like growth factor 1, insulin-like growth factor binding protein 3, and risk of colorectal cancer: a prospective study in northern Sweden. Gut 2002; 50: 642–6., , , , , , .
- 31Serum insulin-like growth factor I and subsequent risk of colorectal cancer among Japanese-American men. Am J Epidemiol 2003; 158: 424–31., , , .
- 32A prospective study of C-peptide, insulin-like growth factor-I, insulin-like growth factor binding protein-1, and the risk of colorectal cancer in women. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2005; 14: 850–5., , , , , , .
- 33Plasma C-peptide, insulin-like growth factor-I, insulin-like growth factor binding proteins and risk of colorectal cancer in a nested case-control study: the Japan public health center-based prospective study. Int J Cancer 2007; 120: 2007–12., , , , .
- 34Correspondence re: Giovannucci et al. A prospective study of plasma insulin-like growth factor-1 and binding protein-3 and risk of colorectal neoplasia in women. Cancer Epidemiol Biomark Prev 2000;9:345–9. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2001; 10: 1103–4., , , , , .
- 35Insulin-like growth factor-I. IGF binding protein-3, and breast cancer in young women: a comparison of risk estimates using different peptide assays. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2005; 14: 48–52., , , , , , , , , , .
- 36Diet and cancer—the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition. Nat Rev Cancer 2004; 4: 206–15., .
- 37Body mass index, waist circumference and waist-hip ratio and serum levels of IGF-I and IGFBP-3 in European women. Int J Obes (Lond) 2006; 30: 1623–31., , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 38The effect of diet on serum insulin-like growth-factor-I and its main binding proteins. IARC Sci Publ 2002; 156: 295–6., , , , , .
- 39Nutritional predictors of insulin-like growth factor I and their relationships to cancer in men. Cancer. Epidemiol. Biomarkers. Prev. 2003; 12( 2): 84–9., , , , , , .
- 40Body size and risk of colon and rectal cancer in the European Prospective Investigation Into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC). J Natl Cancer Inst 2006; 98: 920–31., , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 41Dairy foods, calcium, and colorectal cancer: a pooled analysis of 10 cohort studies. J Natl Cancer Inst 2004; 96: 1015–22., , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 42Dietary calcium, phosphorus, vitamin D, dairy products and the risk of colorectal adenoma and cancer among French women of the E3N-EPIC prospective study. Int J Cancer 2005; 117: 137–44., , , , .
- 43Dietary fibre in food and protection against colorectal cancer in the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC): an observational study. Lancet 2003; 361: 1496–501., , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 44Epidemiologic evidence of the protective effect of fruit and vegetables on cancer risk. Am J Clin Nutr 2003; 78( 3 Suppl): 559S–69S., .
- 45European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC): study populations and data collection. Public Health Nutr 2002; 5( 6B): 1113–24., , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 46Serum sex steroids in premenopausal women and breast cancer risk within the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC). J Natl Cancer Inst 2005; 97: 755–65., , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 47Hormone stability in human whole blood. Clin Biochem 2003; 36: 109–12., , .
- 48Methods for trend estimation from summarized dose-response data, with applications to meta-analysis. Am J Epidemiol 1992; 135: 1301–9., .
- 49Meta-analysis in clinical trials. Control Clin Trials 1986; 7: 177–88., .
- 50Insulin, insulin-like growth factor-I, endogenous estradiol, and risk of colorectal cancer in postmenopausal women. Cancer Res 2008; 68: 329–37., , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 51IGF-I. IGFBP-3, and IGF-I/IGFBP-3 ratio: no. association with incident colorectal cancer in the alpha-tocopherol beta-carotene. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2008; 17: 1832–4., , , , , , , , , .
- 52Prediagnostic levels of C-peptide. IGF-I, IGFBP -1, -2 and -3 and risk of endometrial cancer. Int J Cancer 2004; 108: 262–8., , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 53Insulin-like growth factors, their binding proteins, and prostate cancer risk: analysis of individual patient data from 12 prospective studies. Ann Intern Med 2008; 149: 461–8., , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 54Insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-I. IGF-binding protein-3 and colorectal adenomas in Japanese men. Jpn J Cancer Res 2002; 93: 1187–94., , , , , .
- 55Milk intake, circulating levels of insulin-like growth factor-I, and risk of colorectal cancer in men. J Natl Cancer Inst 2001; 93: 1330–6., , , , , , .
- 56World Cancer Research Fund/American Institute for Cancer Research. Food, nutrition, physical activity, and the prevention of cancer: a global perspective. Washington DC: AICR, 2007.