Skin cancers associated with HIV infection and solid-organ transplantation among elderly adults
Article first published online: 6 OCT 2009
Copyright © 2009 UICC
International Journal of Cancer
Volume 126, Issue 7, pages 1724–1731, 1 April 2010
How to Cite
Lanoy, E., Costagliola, D. and Engels, E. A. (2010), Skin cancers associated with HIV infection and solid-organ transplantation among elderly adults. Int. J. Cancer, 126: 1724–1731. doi: 10.1002/ijc.24931
- Issue published online: 28 JAN 2010
- Article first published online: 6 OCT 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 15 SEP 2009
- Manuscript Received: 23 JUN 2009
- Intramural Research Program of the National Cancer Institute
- 1World Heath Organization Classification of Tumours. Pathology and Genetics of Skin Tumours. Lyon: IARC Press, 2006., , , .
- 2Cutaneous and ocular melanoma. In: SchottenfeldD, FraumeniJFJr, eds. Cancer Epidemiology and Prevention, 3rd edn. New York: Oxford University Press, 2006. 1196–229., .
- 3Keratinocyte carcinomas (basal and squamous cell carcinomas of the skin). In: SchottenfeldD, FraumeniJFJr, eds. Cancer Epidemiology and Prevention, 3rd edn. New York: Oxford University Press, 2006. 1230–50., , .
- 4The period prevalence and costs of treating nonmelanoma skin cancers in patients over 65 years of age covered by medicare. Dermatol Surg 2001; 27: 955–9., , .
- 5Cost of care for elderly cancer patients in the United States. J Natl Cancer Inst 2008; 100: 630–41., , , , , , .
- 6Trends in cancer risk among people with AIDS in the United States 1980–2002. AIDS 2006; 20: 1645–54., , , , , , .
- 7Incidence of cancers in people with HIV/AIDS compared with immunosuppressed transplant recipients: a meta-analysis. Lancet 2007; 370: 59–67., , , .
- 8Epidemiology of non-keratinocytic skin cancers among persons with acquired immunodeficiency syndrome in the U.S. AIDS 2009; 23: 385–93., , , , , .
- 9Incidence of types of cancer among HIV-infected persons compared with the general population in the United States, 1992–2003. Ann Intern Med 2008; 148: 728–36., , , , , , , .
- 10Clonal integration of a polyomavirus in human Merkel cell carcinoma. Science 2008; 319: 1096–100., , , .
- 11Overview of the SEER-Medicare data: content, research applications, and generalizability to the United States elderly population. Med Care 2002; 40 ( 8 Suppl): IV-3–18., , , , .
- 12Potential for cancer related health services research using a linked Medicare-tumor registry database. Med Care 1993; 31: 732–48., , , , .
- 13International Classification of Diseases for Oncology, 3rd edn. Geneva: World Health Organization, 2000., , , , .
- 14Word Health Organisation. ICD-10: International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems, 10th edn. Geneva: Word Health Organisation, 1993.
- 15Hematopoietic malignancies associated with viral and alcoholic hepatitis. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2008; 17: 3069–75., , , , , , , , , .
- 16Risk of breast, ovary, and uterine corpus cancers among 85,268 women with AIDS. Br J Cancer 2006; 95: 642–8., , , , , .
- 17Skin cancers in renal-transplant recipients occur more frequently than previously recognized in a temperate climate. Transplantation 2004; 77: 574–9., , , , , .
- 18HIV infection and squamous cell carcinoma of sun-exposed skin. AIDS 1990; 4: 91., .
- 19Aggressive squamous cell carcinomas in persons infected with the human immunodeficiency virus. Arch Dermatol 2002; 138: 758–63., , , .
- 20Nathanson. Spontaneous regression of malignant melanoma: a review of the literature on incidence, clinical features, and possible mechanisms. Natl Cancer Inst Monogr 1976; 44: 67–76.
- 21The development of excess numbers of melanocytic naevi in an immunosuppressed identical twin. Clin Exp Dermatol 1991; 16: 131–2., , .
- 22Immune deficiency and risk for malignancy among persons with AIDS. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 2003; 32: 527–33., , , .
- 23Cancer incidence before and after kidney transplantation. JAMA 2006; 296: 2823–31., , , , , , , , , .
- 24Kaposi's sarcoma. N Engl J Med 2000; 342: 1027–38., .
- 25Cancer risk in elderly persons with HIV/AIDS. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 2004; 36: 861–8., , , , .
- 26Risk of T-cell lymphomas in persons with AIDS. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 2001; 26: 371–6., , , .
- 27Merkel's cell carcinoma in organ recipients: report of 41 cases. Transplantation 1999; 68: 1717–21., .
- 28High frequency and diversity of cutaneous appendageal tumors in organ transplant recipients. J Am Acad Dermatol 2003; 48: 401–8., , , , , , , .
- 29An association between sebaceous carcinoma and microsatellite instability in immunosuppressed organ transplant recipients. J Invest Dermatol 2001; 116: 246–53., , , , , , , , .
- 30Switching from tacrolimus to sirolimus halts the appearance of new sebaceous neoplasms in Muir-Torre syndrome. Am J Transplant 2007; 7: 476–9., , , , , , , .
- 31Sebaceous carcinoma of the eyelid in an immunocompromised patient with Muir-Torre syndrome. Can J Ophthalmol 1995; 30: 324–6., , , .
- 32Sebaceous adenoma in a patient with acquired immunodeficiency syndrome. Arch Dermatol 1988; 124: 489–90., , .
- 33A sebaceous tumor in a patient with acquired immunodeficiency syndrome. Eur J Med Res 2002; 7: 135–7., , , , .
- 34Sebaceous cell carcinoma of the eyelid and the human immunodeficiency virus. Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg 2000; 16: 206–10., .
- 35Cutaneous soft tissue sarcoma incidence patterns in the U.S.: an analysis of 12,114 cases. Cancer 2008; 113: 616–27., , , .