Tel : +39 02 39 01 4658
Alcohol drinking and pancreatic cancer risk: a meta-analysis of the dose-risk relation
Article first published online: 8 OCT 2009
Copyright © 2009 UICC
International Journal of Cancer
Volume 126, Issue 6, pages 1474–1486, 15 March 2010
How to Cite
Tramacere, I., Scotti, L., Jenab, M., Bagnardi, V., Bellocco, R., Rota, M., Corrao, G., Bravi, F., Boffetta, P. and La Vecchia, C. (2010), Alcohol drinking and pancreatic cancer risk: a meta-analysis of the dose-risk relation. Int. J. Cancer, 126: 1474–1486. doi: 10.1002/ijc.24936
- Issue published online: 18 JAN 2010
- Article first published online: 8 OCT 2009
- Accepted manuscript online: 8 OCT 2009 12:00AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 10 SEP 2009
- Manuscript Received: 30 JUL 2009
- Italian Association for Cancer Research (AIRC)
- 1Carcinogenicity of alcoholic beverages. Lancet Oncol 2007; 8: 292–3., , , , , , , .
- 2WCRF/AICR. World Cancer Research Fund/American Institute for Cancer Research. Food, Nutrition, Physical Activity, and the Prevention of Cancer: a Global Perspective. Washington DC: AICR 2007.
- 3A meta-analysis of alcohol drinking and cancer risk. Br J Cancer 2001; 85: 1700–5., , , .
- 4Alcohol intake and pancreatic cancer risk: a pooled analysis of fourteen cohort studies. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2009; 18: 765–76., , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 5Diet, alcohol, coffee and pancreatic cancer: final results from an Italian study. Eur J Cancer Prev 1998; 7: 455–60., , , , .
- 6The epidemiology of alcohol-induced pancreatitis. Pancreas 2003; 27: 286–90., .
- 7Chronic pancreatitis: challenges and advances in pathogenesis, genetics, diagnosis, and therapy. Gastroenterology 2007; 132: 1557–73., , , .
- 8Epidemiology, aetiology and outcome of acute and chronic pancreatitis: An update. Best Pract Res Clin Gastroenterol 2008; 22: 45–63., , .
- 9Alcohol and cause-specific mortality in Russia: a retrospective case-control study of 48,557 adult deaths. Lancet 2009; 373: 2201–14., , , , , , , , , , .
- 10Epidemiology and risk factors for pancreatic cancer. Best Pract Res Clin Gastroenterol 2006; 20: 197–209., .
- 11Pancreatitis and the risk of pancreatic cancer. International Pancreatitis Study Group. N Engl J Med 1993; 328: 1433–7., , , , , , , , .
- 12Pancreatitis and pancreatic cancer: a population-based study. J Natl Cancer Inst 1994; 86: 625–7., , , , , ,
- 13Pancreatitis and the risk of pancreatic cancer. Pancreas 1995; 11: 185–9., , , , , .
- 14Attributable risks for pancreatic cancer in northern Italy. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 1996; 5: 23–7., , .
- 15Meta-analysis of observational studies in epidemiology: a proposal for reporting. Meta-analysis Of Observational Studies in Epidemiology (MOOSE) group. JAMA 2000; 283: 2008–12., , , , , , , , , .
- 16Smoking, alcohol, coffee, and tea intake and incidence of cancer of the exocrine pancreas: the Iowa Women's Health Study. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 1997; 6: 1081–6., , , , , .
- 17Coffee and alcohol consumption and the risk of pancreatic cancer in two prospective United States cohorts. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2001; 10: 429–37., , , , .
- 18Dietary and other methyl-group availability factors and pancreatic cancer risk in a cohort of male smokers. Am J Epidemiol 2001; 153: 680–7., , , , , .
- 19A case-control study of diet and cancer of the pancreas. Am J Epidemiol 1991; 134: 167–79., , , , , .
- 20Alcohol, beer and cancer of the pancreas. Int J Cancer 1990; 45: 842–6., , , , .
- 21Lifetime consumption of alcoholic beverages, tea and coffee and exocrine carcinoma of the pancreas: a population-based case-control study in The Netherlands. Int J Cancer 1992; 50: 514–22., , , , .
- 22Coffee, alcohol, smoking and cancer of the pancreas: a case-control study. Int J Cancer 1989; 43: 17–21., , , , .
- 23Pancreatic cancer, alcohol, diabetes mellitus and gall-bladder disease. Int J Cancer 1989; 43: 415–21., .
- 24Life-style risk factors for pancreatic cancer in Louisiana: a case-control study. Am J Epidemiol 1988; 128: 324–36., , , ,
- 25Risk of pancreatic cancer in relation to medical history and the use of tobacco, alcohol and coffee. Int J Cancer 1990; 45: 816–20., .
- 26Tobacco, alcohol, and coffee and cancer of the pancreas. A population-based, case-control study in Quebec, Canada. Cancer 1991; 67: 2664–70., , .
- 27Diet and other risk factors for cancer of the pancreas. Cancer 1985; 55: 460–7., , , , , , .
- 28Pancreatic cancer, blood glucose and beverage consumption. Int J Cancer 1988; 41: 794–7., , .
- 29Coffee and alcohol as determinants of risk of pancreas cancer: a case-control study from Toronto. Int J Cancer 1991; 47: 384–9., , , .
- 30Cigarette smoking and alcohol consumption and the risk of pancreatic cancer: a case-control study in Shanghai, China. Cancer Causes Control 1995; 6: 369–76., , , , , , ,
- 31Tobacco, ethanol, coffee, pancreatitis, diabetes mellitus, and cholelithiasis as risk factors for pancreatic carcinoma. Cancer Causes Control 1993; 4: 375–82., , , , , .
- 32Pancreas cancer and smoking, beverage consumption, and past medical history. J Natl Cancer Inst 1986; 76: 49–60., , , .
- 33A multi-institute case-control study on the risk factors of developing pancreatic cancer. Jpn J Clin Oncol 1992; 22: 286–91., , , , , , , , .
- 34A nested case-control study on alcohol drinking, tobacco smoking, and cancer. Cancer Detect Prev 1996; 20: 557–65., , , .
- 35Diet and pancreatic cancer: a case-control study. Am J Epidemiol 1986; 124: 894–902., , , , , , , .
- 36A case-control study of pancreatic cancer and cigarettes, alcohol, coffee and diet. Am J Public Health 1989; 79: 1016–9., , , , .
- 37Alcohol and pancreatic cancer in blacks and whites in the United States. Cancer Res 1995; 55: 4899–905., , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 38Alcohol consumption and risk of pancreatic cancer. Nutr Cancer 1997; 27: 157–61., , , .
- 39Epidemiology of coffee and pancreatic cancer. Cancer Res 1983; 43: 3900–6., , .
- 40Cigarette smoking, alcohol, tea and coffee consumption and pancreas cancer risk: a case-control study from Opole, Poland. Int J Cancer 1993; 53: 601–7., , , , , .
- 41Lifestyle, dietary, and medical history factors associated with pancreatic cancer risk in Ontario, Canada. Cancer Causes Control 2009; 20: 825–34., , .
- 42Helicobacter pylori infection and development of pancreatic cancer. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2008; 17: 1188–94., , , , , , .
- 43Risk factors for pancreatic cancer: case-control study. Am J Gastroenterol 2007; 102: 2696–707., , , , , , , , , , , .
- 44Epidemiology of pancreatic cancer in Japan: a nested case-control study from the Hospital-based Epidemiologic Research Program at Aichi Cancer Center (HERPACC). Int J Epidemiol 2003; 32: 257–62., , , , , , .
- 45Alcohol and mortality: a cohort study of male Japanese physicians. Int J Epidemiol 1986; 15: 527–32., , , , .
- 46Alcohol drinking and one-carbon metabolism-related gene polymorphisms on pancreatic cancer risk. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2008; 17: 2742–7., , , , , , , , , , .
- 47Alcohol and smoking as risk factors in chronic pancreatitis and pancreatic cancer. Dig Dis Sci 1999; 44: 1303–11., , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 48Alcohol, tobacco and coffee consumption and the risk of pancreatic cancer: results from the Canadian Enhanced Surveillance System case-control project. Canadian Cancer Registries Epidemiology Research Group. Eur J Cancer Prev 2000; 9: 49–58., , , .
- 49Predictors of pancreatic cancer mortality among a large cohort of United States adults. Cancer Causes Control 2000; 11: 915–23., , , .
- 50Alcohol consumption and risk of pancreatic cancer in the Netherlands cohort study. Am J Epidemiol 2009; 169: 1233–42., , , , .
- 51Alcohol use and risk of pancreatic cancer: the NIH-AARP Diet and Health Study. Am J Epidemiol 2009; 169: 1043–51., , , , , , , .
- 52Risk of pancreatic cancer in relation to alcohol drinking, coffee consumption and medical history: findings from the Japan collaborative cohort study for evaluation of cancer risk. Int J Cancer 2002; 99: 742–6., , , , , , , .
- 53Ethanol intake and the risk of pancreatic cancer in the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC). Cancer Causes Control 2009; 20: 785–94., , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 54A prospective study of pancreatic cancer in the elderly. Int J Cancer 1994; 58: 46–9., , , , .
- 55Factors associated with incident and fatal pancreatic cancer in a cohort of middle-aged women. Int J Cancer 2009; 124: 2400–5., , , , , , .
- 56A cohort study of smoking, alcohol consumption, and dietary factors for pancreatic cancer (United States). Cancer Causes Control 1993; 4: 477–82., , , , , , , , ,
- 57Quantitative methods in the review of epidemiologic literature. Epidemiol Rev 1987; 9: 1–30..
- 58Meta-analysis in clinical trials. Control Clin Trials 1986; 7: 177–88., .
- 59Flexible meta-regression functions for modeling aggregate dose-response data, with an application to alcohol and mortality. Am J Epidemiol 2004; 159: 1077–86., , , .
- 60IARC. Re-evaluation of some organic chemicals, hydrazine and hydrogen peroxide. IARC monographs on the evaluation on the carcinogenic risks to humans. Vol. 71. IARC, Lyon, 1999: 319–335.
- 61Acute ethanol administration induces oxidative changes in rat pancreatic tissue. Gut 1996; 38: 742–6., , , , .
- 62Battle-scarred pancreas: role of alcohol and pancreatic stellate cells in pancreatic fibrosis. J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2006; 21 Suppl 3: S97–S101., , .
- 63Ethanol toxicity in pancreatic acinar cells: mediation by nonoxidative fatty acid metabolites. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2004; 101: 10738–43., , , , , .
- 64Alcohol and pancreatic cancer. Alcohol 2005; 35: 205–11., , .
- 65Ethanol diet increases the sensitivity of rats to pancreatitis induced by cholecystokinin octapeptide. Gastroenterology 1999; 117: 706–16., , , , , , , , .
- 66Inflammation and cancer: back to Virchow? Lancet 2001; 357: 539–45., .
- 67Alcohol and cancer. Lancet Oncol 2006; 7: 149–56., .
- 68Trends in mortality from hepatocellular carcinoma in Europe, 1980–2004. Hepatology 2008; 48: 137–45., , , , , .
- 69Hepatitis viruses, alcohol, and tobacco in the etiology of hepatocellular carcinoma in Italy. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2006; 15: 683–9., , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 70Risk factors for hepatocellular carcinoma in northern Italy. Int J Cancer 1988; 42: 872–6., , , , .
- 71Epidemiology principles and methods. 2nd ed. New York: Little, Brown and Company 1996., .
- 72Mortality in relation to consumption of alcohol: 13 years' observations on male British doctors. BMJ 1994; 309: 911–8., , , , .
- 73Reliability of information on cigarette smoking and beverage consumption provided by hospital controls. Epidemiology 1996; 7: 312–5., , , , .
- 74Validity and reproducibility of alcohol consumption in Italy. Int J Epidemiol 1996; 25: 775–82., , , , , , , .
- 75[The quantitative alimentary questionnaire technique used by the I.N.S.E.R.M. nutrition department (author's transl)]. Rev Epidemiol Sante Publique 1980; 28: 367–72., .
- 76Validation of the American Cancer Society Cancer Prevention Study II Nutrition Survey Cohort Food Frequency Questionnaire. Epidemiology 2000; 11: 462–8., , , , .
- 77The assessment of alcohol consumption by a simple self-administered questionnaire. Am J Epidemiol 1991; 133: 810–7., , , , , , .
- 78Validation of a dietary questionnaire used in a large-scale prospective cohort study on diet and cancer. Eur J Clin Nutr 1994; 48: 253–65., , , , , , .
- 79Dietary assessment in the California Teachers Study: reproducibility and validity. Cancer Causes Control 2008; 19: 595–603., , , , , , , , , .
- 80Dietary assessment of older Iowa women with a food frequency questionnaire: nutrient intake, reproducibility, and comparison with 24-hour dietary recall interviews. Am J Epidemiol 1992; 136: 192–200., , , , .
- 81Comparative validation of the Block, Willett, and National Cancer Institute food frequency questionnaires: the Eating at America's Table Study. Am J Epidemiol 2001; 154: 1089–99., , , , , , , .
- 82Estimating the population attributable risk for multiple risk factors using case-control data. Am J Epidemiol 1985; 122: 904–14., , , , .