Tel: +30 210 7462648, Fax: +30 210 7462664
GSTT1 and GSTM1 polymorphisms and myelodysplastic syndrome risk: a systematic review and meta-analysis
Article first published online: 8 OCT 2009
Copyright © 2009 UICC
International Journal of Cancer
Volume 126, Issue 7, pages 1716–1723, 1 April 2010
How to Cite
Dahabreh, I. J., Giannouli, S., Gota, V. and Voulgarelis, M. (2010), GSTT1 and GSTM1 polymorphisms and myelodysplastic syndrome risk: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Int. J. Cancer, 126: 1716–1723. doi: 10.1002/ijc.24940
- Issue published online: 28 JAN 2010
- Article first published online: 8 OCT 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 10 SEP 2009
- Manuscript Received: 28 JUL 2009
- 1Therapy-related leukemia and myelodysplasia: evolving concepts of pathogenesis and treatment. Hematology 2004; 9: 179–87., .
- 2Clonal development of myeloproliferative disorders: clues to hematopoietic differentiation and multistep pathogenesis of cancer. Leukemia 1998; 12: 108–16., , .
- 3Haploinsufficiency of CBFA2 causes familial thrombocytopenia with propensity to develop acute myelogenous leukaemia. Nat Genet 1999; 23: 166–75., , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 4Loss of NF1 results in activation of the ras signaling pathway and leads to aberrant growth in haematopoietic cells. Nat Genet 1996; 12: 144–8., , , , , , , , , , .
- 5Myelodysplastic and myeloproliferative disorders of childhood: a study of 167 patients. Blood 1999; 93: 459–66., , , , , , , , , .
- 6Exposure to occupational and environmental factors in myelodysplastic syndromes. preliminary results of a case-control study. Leukemia 1995; 9: 693–9., , , , , .
- 7Glutathione S transferase theta 1 gene defects in myelodysplastic syndromes and their correlation with karyotype and exposure to potential carcinogens. Leukemia 1997; 11: 1580–2., , , , , , .
- 8Environment and cancer: who are susceptible? Science 1997; 278: 1068–73..
- 9Glutathione-S-transferase family of enzymes. Mutat Res 2001 Oct 1; 482: 21–6., , , .
- 10Glutathione transferases. Annu Rev Pharmacol Toxicol 2005; 45: 51–88., , .
- 11Glutathione S-transferase polymorphisms and their biological consequences. Pharmacology 2000; 61: 154–66., .
- 12Cytogenetic biomarkers and genetic polymorphisms. Toxicol Lett 2004; 149: 309–34..
- 13Metabolic basis of benzene toxicity. Eur J Haematol Suppl 1996; 60: 111–8..
- 14Glutathione S-transferase enzyme expression in hematopoietic cell lines implies a differential protective role for T1 and A1 isoenzymes in erythroid and for M1 in lymphoid lineages. Haematologica 2000; 85: 573–9., , , .
- 15Cytogenetic abnormalities in the myelodysplastic syndromes and occupational or environmental exposure. Blood 2000; 95: 2093–7., , , , .
- 16Measuring inconsistency in meta-analyses. Bmj 2003; 327: 557–60., , , .
- 17Statistical aspects of the analysis of data from retrospective studies of disease. J Natl Cancer Inst 1959; 22: 719–48., .
- 18Chi-square tests with one degree of freedom: extensions of the mantel-haenszel procedure. J Am Statist Assoc 1963; 58: 690–700..
- 19Meta-analysis in clinical trials. Control Clin Trials 1986; 7: 177–88., .
- 20Meta-analysis of rare events: an update and sensitivity analysis of cardiovascular events in randomized trials of rosiglitazone. Clin Trials 2008; 5: 116–20., .
- 21Quantitative synthesis in systematic reviews. Ann Intern Med 1997; 127: 820–6., , .
- 22Cumulative meta-analysis of clinical trials builds evidence for exemplary medical care. J Clin Epidemiol 1995; 48: 45, 57; discussion 59–60., , .
- 23Operating characteristics of a rank correlation test for publication bias. Biometrics 1994; 50: 1088–101., .
- 24Bias in meta-analysis detected by a simple, graphical test. Bmj 1997; 315: 629–34., , , .
- 25Interaction revisited: the difference between two estimates. Bmj 2003; 326: 219., .
- 26Glutathione S-transferase gene deletions in myelodysplasia. Lancet 1997; 349: 1450–1., , , , , .
- 27Glutathione S-transferase theta 1 (GSTT1) gene defect in myelodysplasia and acute myeloid leukaemia. Lancet 1997; 349: 1450., , , .
- 28Increased risk for acute myeloid leukaemia in individuals with glutathione S-transferase mu 1 (GSTM1) and theta 1 (GSTT1) gene defects. Eur J Haematol 2001; 66: 383–8., , , , , , , .
- 29Glutathione S-transferase enzyme polymorphisms in a hungarian myelodysplasia study population. Pathol Oncol Res 2008; 14: 429–33., , , , , , .
- 30Hellenic MDS Study Group. Low frequency of the glutathione-S-transferase T1-null genotype in patients with primary myelodysplastic syndrome and 5q deletion. Leukemia 2008; 22: 1643–6., , , , , , , ,
- 31Genotype of glutathione S-transferase and other genetic configurations in myelodysplasia. Leuk Res 1999; 23: 975–81., , , , , , , .
- 32Glutathione S-transferase theta 1 gene (GSTT1) defect in japanese patients with myelodysplastic syndromes. Int J Hematol 1997; 66: 393–4., , , , .
- 33Increased risk for therapy-associated hematologic malignancies in patients with carcinoma of the breast and combined homozygous gene deletions of glutathione transferases M1 and T1. Leuk Res 2002; 26: 249–54., , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 34Increased risk for myelodysplastic syndromes in individuals with glutathione transferase theta 1 (GSTT1) gene defect. Lancet 1996 Feb 3; 347: 295–7., , , , , , .
- 35Glutathione S-transferase polymorphisms in children with myeloid leukemia: a children's cancer group study. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2000; 9: 563–6., , , , , .
- 36Increased prevalence of GSTM(1) null genotype in patients with myelodysplastic syndrome: a case-control study. Acta Haematol 2000; 104: 169–73., , , .
- 37Polymorphisms of detoxification and DNA repair enzymes in myelodyplastic syndromes. Leuk Res 2009; 33: 1068–71., , , , , , , , , , .
- 38Phase I and II enzyme polymorphisms as risk factors for barrett's esophagus and esophageal adenocarcinoma: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Dis Esophagus 2009 Feb 13., , , , .
- 39Five glutathione s-transferase gene variants in 23,452 cases of lung cancer and 30,397 controls: meta-analysis of 130 studies. PLoS Med 2006 Apr;3( 4): e91., , , , .
- 40Genetic variants of glutathione S-transferase as possible risk factors for hepatocellular carcinoma: a HuGE systematic review and meta-analysis. Am J Epidemiol 2008; 167: 377–89., , , .
- 41Meta- and pooled analyses of GSTM1, GSTT1, GSTP1, and CYP1A1 genotypes and risk of head and neck cancer. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2003; 12: 1509–17., , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 42Gene-smoking interaction on colorectal adenoma and cancer risk: review and meta-analysis. Mutat Res 2009 Jul 7., , , , .
- 43Meta- and pooled analysis of GSTT1 and lung cancer: a HuGE-GSEC review. Am J Epidemiol 2006; 164: 1027–42., , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 44Glutathione s-transferase polymorphisms (GSTM1, GSTP1 and GSTT1) and the risk of acute leukaemia: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Eur J Cancer 2005; 41: 980–9., .
- 45Metabolic gene polymorphism frequencies in control populations. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2001; 10: 1239–48., , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 46Clinical and cytogenetic features of 508 chinese patients with myelodysplastic syndrome and comparison with those in western countries. Leukemia 2005; 19: 767–75., , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 47Difference in clinical features between japanese and german patients with refractory anemia in myelodysplastic syndromes. Blood 2005 Oct 15; 106: 2633–40., , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 48Differences in epidemiology of MDS between western and eastern countries: ethnic differences or environmental influence? Leuk Res 2007; 31: 103–4., , .
- 49Cancer risks in a historical UK cohort of benzene exposed workers. Occup Environ Med 2005; 62: 231–6., , .
- 50Sister chromatid exchange induction in human lymphocytes exposed to benzene and its metabolites in vitro. Cancer Res 1985; 45: 2471–7., , .
- 51Chromosomal aberrations in workers exposed to low levels of benzene: association with genetic polymorphisms. Pharmacogenetics 2004; 14: 453–63., , , , , .
- 52Peroxidase activation of hydroquinone results in the formation of DNA adducts in HL-60 cells, mouse bone marrow macrophages and human bone marrow. Carcinogenesis 1993; 14: 2329–34., , .
- 53The toxicology of benzene. Environ Health Perspect 1993; 100: 293–306., , .
- 54Benzene exposure, glutathione S-transferase theta homozygous deletion, and sister chromatid exchanges. Am J Ind Med 1998; 33: 157–63., , , , , , .