Petra H. Lahmann and Anne E. Cust contributed equally to this work
Anthropometric measures and epithelial ovarian cancer risk in the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition
Version of Record online: 9 OCT 2009
Copyright © 2009 UICC
International Journal of Cancer
Volume 126, Issue 10, pages 2404–2415, 15 May 2010
How to Cite
Lahmann, P. H., Cust, A. E., Friedenreich, C. M., Schulz, M., Lukanova, A., Kaaks, R., Lundin, E., Tjønneland, A., Halkjær, J., Severinsen, M. T., Overvad, K., Fournier, A., Chabbert-Buffet, N., Clavel-Chapelon, F., Dossus, L., Pischon, T., Boeing, H., Trichopoulou, A., Lagiou, P., Naska, A., Palli, D., Grioni, S., Mattiello, A., Tumino, R., Sacerdote, C., Redondo, M.-L., Jakszyn, P., Sánchez, M.-J., Tormo, M.-J., Ardanaz, E., Arriola, L., Manjer, J., Jirström, K., Bueno-de-Mesquita, H. B., May, A. M., Peeters, P. H.M., Onland-Moret, N. C., Bingham, S., Khaw, K.-T., Allen, N. E., Spencer, E., Rinaldi, S., Slimani, N., Chajes, V., Michaud, D., Norat, T. and Riboli, E. (2010), Anthropometric measures and epithelial ovarian cancer risk in the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition. Int. J. Cancer, 126: 2404–2415. doi: 10.1002/ijc.24952
- Issue online: 22 MAR 2010
- Version of Record online: 9 OCT 2009
- Accepted manuscript online: 9 OCT 2009 12:00AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 10 SEP 2009
- Manuscript Received: 16 JUN 2009
- NHMRC Public Health Fellowship. Grant Number: 520018
- Alberta Heritage Foundation for Medical Research
- “Europe Against Cancer” Programme of the European Commission (SANCO)
- Mutuelle Générale de l'Education Nationale
- French League against Cancer
- Gustave Roussy Institute
- French Institute of Health and Medical Research
- Deutsche Krebshilfe
- German Cancer Research Center
- German Federal Ministry of Education and Research
- Danish Cancer Society
- Dutch Ministry of Public Health, Welfare and Sports
- Dutch Prevention Funds
- LK Research Funds
- Dutch ZON (Zorg Onderzoek Nederland)
- Cancer Research, United Kingdom
- Medical Research Council, United Kingdom
- the Stroke Association, United Kingdom
- British Heart Foundation
- Department of Health, United Kingdom
- Food Standards Agency, United Kingdom
- the Wellcome Trust, United Kingdom
- Greek Ministry of Health
- Stavros Niarchos Foundation
- Associazione Italiana per la Ricerca sul Cancro (AIRC)
- Compagnia di San Paolo, Italy
- Health Research Fund (FIS) of the Spanish Ministry of Health
- ISCIII Network RCESP. Grant Numbers: C03/09, RETICC C03/10
- Spanish Regional Governments of Andalusia, Asturias, Basque Country, Murcia and Navarra
- Catalan Institute of Oncology
- Swedish Cancer Society
- Swedish Scientific Council
- Regional Government of Skåne, Sweden
- NHMRC Public Health Fellowship. Grant Number: 520018
- 1GLOBOCAN 2002: cancer incidence, mortality and prevalence worldwide IARC cancerbase No. 5, version 2.0. Available: http://www-dep.iarc.fr/. Lyon: IARC Press, 2004., , , .
- 2Cancer of the ovary. N Engl J Med 2004; 351: 2519–29..
- 3Endogenous hormones and ovarian cancer: epidemiology and current hypotheses. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2005; 14: 98–107., .
- 4Hormonal etiology of epithelial ovarian cancer, with a hypothesis concerning the role of androgens and progesterone. J Natl Cancer Inst 1998; 90: 1774–86..
- 5Epithelial ovarian cancer: testing the ‘androgens hypothesis.’ Endocr Relat Cancer 2008; 15: 1061–8., , , , , , .
- 6Obesity and the risk of epithelial ovarian cancer: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Eur J Cancer 2007; 43: 690–709., , , , , .
- 7Height, body mass index, and ovarian cancer: a pooled analysis of 12 cohort studies. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2008; 17: 902–12., , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 8Histologic types of epithelial ovarian cancer: have they different risk factors? Gynecol Oncol 2005; 96: 520–30., , , .
- 9Pathology and classification of ovarian tumors. Cancer 2003; 97: 2631–42., , , , , .
- 10Impact of obesity on metabolism in men and women. Importance of regional adipose tissue distribution. J Clin Invest 1983; 72: 1150–62., , , .
- 11Body fat distribution in pre-and post-menopausal women: metabolic and anthropometric variables. J Nutr Health Aging 2002; 6: 123–6., , , , , , .
- 12Body size and risk of colon and rectal cancer in the European Prospective Investigation Into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC). J Natl Cancer Inst 2006; 98: 920–31., , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 13European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC): study populations and data collection. Public Health Nutr 2002; 5: 1113–24., , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 14The EPIC Project: rationale and study design. European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition. Int J Epidemiol 1997; 26 ( Suppl 1): S6–14., .
- 15Evaluation of under- and overreporting of energy intake in the 24-hour diet recalls in the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC). Public Health Nutr 2002; 5: 1329–45., , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 16Overweight, obesity and fat distribution in 50- to 64-year-old participants in the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC). Public Health Nutr 2002; 5: 1147–62., , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 17Validity of self-reported height and weight in 4808 EPIC-Oxford participants. Public Health Nutr 2002; 5: 561–5., , , .
- 18Accuracy of self-reported waist and hip measurements in 4492 EPIC-Oxford participants. Public Health Nutr 2004; 7: 723–7., , .
- 19European prospective investigation into cancer and nutrition: validity studies on dietary assessment methods. Int J Epidemiol 1997; 26 ( Suppl 1): S1–5., .
- 20Pathology and genetics. Tumours of the breast and female genital organs. In: TavassoliFA, DevileeD, eds. World Health Organization classification of tumours. Lyon: IARC Press, 2003.
- 21International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC)/World Health Organization (WHO). Weight control and physical activity (IARC Handbook for Cancer Prevention, vol. 6). Lyon, France: IARC Press, 2002.
- 22The validity of self-reports of past body weights by U.S. adults. Epidemiology 1995; 6: 61–6., , , , .
- 23Long-term memory of body weight and past weight satisfaction: a longitudinal follow-up study. Am J Clin Nutr 1991; 53: 1493–8., , , , , .
- 24Changes in body mass index prior to baseline among participants who are ill or who die during the early years of follow-up. Am J Epidemiol 2001; 153: 946–53., .
- 25Body-mass index and incidence of cancer: a systematic review and meta-analysis of prospective observational studies. Lancet 2008; 371: 569–78., , , , .
- 26Weight change and cancer risk in a cohort of more than 65,000 adults in Austria. Ann Oncol 2008; 19: 641–8., , , , , , .
- 27Body size and risk of epithelial ovarian cancer (United States). Cancer Causes Control 2006; 17: 713–20., , , , , .
- 28Relation of anthropometric measurements to ovarian cancer risk in a population-based case-control study (United States). Cancer Causes Control 2006; 17: 459–67., , , , , , , , .
- 29Anthropometric variables, physical activity, and incidence of ovarian cancer: The Iowa Women's Health Study. Cancer 2004; 100: 1515–21., , .
- 30Associations of general and abdominal obesity with multiple health outcomes in older women: the Iowa Women's Health Study. Arch Intern Med 2000; 160: 2117–28., , , , , , , , .
- 31Body size indices at different ages and epithelial ovarian cancer risk. Eur J Cancer 2002; 38: 1769–74., , , , , , , , .
- 32Variability in waist circumference measurements according to anatomic measurement site. Obesity 2009; 17: 1789–95., .
- 33Birthweight and body size throughout life in relation to sex hormones and prolactin concentrations in premenopausal women. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2006; 15: 2494–501., , , , , , , , .
- 34Serum sex steroids in premenopausal women and breast cancer risk within the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC). J Natl Cancer Inst 2005; 97: 755–65., , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 35Endogenous androgens and risk of epithelial ovarian cancer: results from the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC). Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2007; 16: 23–9., , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 36Overweight, obesity and cancer: epidemiological evidence and proposed mechanisms. Nat Rev Cancer 2004; 4: 579–91., .
- 37Anthropometric measures, endogenous sex steroids and breast cancer risk in postmenopausal women: a study within the EPIC cohort. Int J Cancer 2006; 118: 2832–9., , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 38Circulating levels of insulin-like growth factor-I and risk of ovarian cancer. Int J Cancer 2002; 101: 549–54., , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 39Serum IGF-I, its major binding protein (IGFBP-3) and epithelial ovarian cancer risk: the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC). Endocr Relat Cancer 2007; 14: 81–90., , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 40Circulating levels of sex steroid hormones and risk of ovarian cancer. Int J Cancer 2003; 104: 636–42., , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 41Weight, height, and body mass index and risk for ovarian cancer in a cohort study. Ann Epidemiol 2006; 16: 869–76., , , , , , .
- 42World Cancer Research Fund and American Institute for Cancer Research, Food, Nutrition, Physical Activity, and the Prevention of Cancer: a Global Perspective. Washington, DC: AICR, 2007.
- 43Differences in risk factors for epithelial ovarian cancer by histologic type. Results of a case-control study. Am J Epidemiol 1996; 144: 363–72., , , .
- 44Body size and risk of epithelial ovarian and related cancers: a population-based case-control study. Int J Cancer 2008; 123: 450–6., , , , , .
- 45Risk of ovarian cancer in the United States in relation to anthropometric measures: does the association depend on menopausal status? Cancer Causes Control 2002; 13: 455–63., , .
- 46Endometrioid and clear cell ovarian cancers—A comparative analysis of risk factors. Eur J Cancer 2008; 44: 2477–84., , , , , .
- 47Some life-style factors and the risk of invasive epithelial ovarian cancer in Swedish women. Eur J Epidemiol 2004; 19: 1011–9., , , , , .
- 48Body mass index and risk of ovarian cancer. Cancer 2009; 115: 812–22., , , , , , , .
- 49Body size and breast cancer risk: findings from the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC). Int J Cancer 2004; 111: 762–71., , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 50Anthropometric factors and risk of endometrial cancer: the European prospective investigation into cancer and nutrition. Cancer Causes Control 2007; 18: 399–413., , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 51Do factors related to endogenous and exogenous estrogens modify the relationship between obesity and risk of colorectal adenomas in women? Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2007; 16: 676–83., , , .