Tel.: +33-472738402, Fax: +33-472738345
Eurogin 2010 roadmap on cervical cancer prevention†
Article first published online: 25 MAR 2011
Copyright © 2011 UICC
International Journal of Cancer
Volume 128, Issue 12, pages 2765–2774, 15 June 2011
How to Cite
Franceschi, S., Denny, L., Irwin, K. L., Jeronimo, J., Lopalco, P. L., Monsonego, J., Peto, J., Ronco, G., Sasieni, P. and Wheeler, C. M. (2011), Eurogin 2010 roadmap on cervical cancer prevention. Int. J. Cancer, 128: 2765–2774. doi: 10.1002/ijc.25915
Conflicts of interest: Prof. L. Denny has received honoraria for appearing on various speaker fora for Merck and GSK and is currently conducting a randomized trial of the safety and immunogenicity of the bivalent vaccine sponsored by GSK. Dr. J. Monsonego has received funding to conduct studies related to the FASE study from Gen-Probe Inc. and related to HPV vaccines from Merck and GSK and has participated in Steering Committees at Merck and in the Advisory Board of Sanofi Pasteur MSD and Roche Diagnostics. Prof. J. Peto and Prof. P. Sasieni were invited by GSK to attend the IPC conference in Montreal in 2010. Prof. P. Sasieni received payment for participating in an advisory meeting for Gen-Probe Inc. as well as minor payment from Qiagen in 2010. The work reported in this manuscript was undertaken while Prof J. Peto was recipient of a Senior Visiting Scientist Award granted by the International Agency for Research on Cancer. Dr. G. Ronco received minor payment for participating in advisory boards for Gen-Probe Inc. in 2007 and 2008. Dr. C. Wheeler has received funding through her institution for equipment and reagents for HPV genotyping from Roche Molecular Systems and to conduct studies related to HPV vaccines from Merck and GSK
- Issue published online: 22 APR 2011
- Article first published online: 25 MAR 2011
- Accepted manuscript online: 4 JAN 2011 10:33AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 20 DEC 2010
- Manuscript Received: 14 OCT 2010
- Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, USA. Grant Number: 35537
- 26Evaluation of oncogenic human papillomavirus RNA and DNA tests with liquid-based cytology in primary cervical cancer screening: the FASE study. Int J Cancer. [Epub ahead of print]., , , , , , , .
- 35IARC. IARC handbooks of cancer prevention, vol. 10: Cervix cancer screening. Lyon: IARC Press, 2005.
- 36Guidelines for prevention and treatment of opportunistic infections in HIV-infected adults and adolescents: recommendations from CDC, the National Institutes of Health, and the HIV Medicine Association of the Infectious Diseases Society of America. MMWR Recomm Rep 2009; 58: 1–207., , , , , .
- 40on behalf of the VENICE2 project gatekeepers group. The current state of introduction of human papillomavirus vaccination into national immunisation schedules in Europe: first results of the VENICE2 2010 survey., , , , , , , , , ;
- 41European Medicines Agency. Cervarix, marketing authorisation. Available at: http://www.ema.europa.eu/humandocs/Humans/EPAR/cervarix/cervarix.htm 2010. Accessed 24 March 2010.
- 42European Medicines Agency. Gardasil, marketing authorisation. Available at: http://www.ema.europa.eu/humandocs/Humans/EPAR/gardasil/gardasil.htm 2010. Accessed 24 March 2010.
- 43Interim estimates of human papillomavirus vaccination coverage in the school-based program in Australia. Commun Dis Intell 2008; 32: 457–61., , , , , , , , , .
- 44Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). National, state, and local area vaccination coverage among adolescents aged 13-17 years—United States, 2009. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2010; 59: 1018–23.
- 45United Nations. Official website of the United Nations Development Programme. Official website: http://www.undp.org 2010. Accessed 24 March 2010.
- 49GLOBOCAN 2008, Cancer Incidence and Mortality Worldwide: IARC CancerBase No. 10 [Internet]. Lyon, France: International Agency for Research on Cancer, 2010. Available at: http://globocan.iarc.fr. Accessed 10 August 2010., , , , , .
- 50World Health Organization. Human papillomavirus vaccines. WHO position paper. Wkly Epidemiol Rec 2009; 84: 118–31.
- 51World Health Organization. Global Advisory Committee on Vaccine Safety, report of meeting held 17-18 June 2009. Wkly Epidemiol Rec 2009; 84: 325–32.
- 52World Health Organization. WHO list of vaccines for purchase by UN agencies as of October 2009. Geneva: World Health Organization, 2009. Available at: http://www.who.int/immunization_standards/vaccine_quality/pq_suppliers/en/index.html 2009. Accessed 16 March 2010.
- 54Cervical Cancer Action. GSK Announces South African Price for HPV Vaccine. Available at: http://www.cervicalcanceraction.org/news/news-detail.php?id=30 2008. Accessed 16 March 2010.
- 552009, Poster P29.19., , , . HPV vaccine implementation in middle and low income countries. Presented at 25th International Papillomavirus Conference, Malmo, Sweden, May
- 56Pan American Health Organization. Vaccination Week in the Americas. Available at: http://www.paho.org/English/dd/pin/vw2008_final.pdf. Accessed 16 March 2010.
- 58PATH and National AIDS Research Institute (NARI). Shaping a Strategy to Introduce HPV Vaccines in India: Results from the Project. Seattle, WA: PATH; 2009. Available at: http://www.rho.org/files/PATH_FRTS_India.pdf. Accessed 16 March 2010.
- 59PATH and Nutrition Research Institute (Instituto de Investigación Nutricional, or IIN). Shaping a strategy to introduce HPV vaccines in Peru: Formative research results from the Project. Seattle: PATH; 2009. Available at: http://www.rho.org/files/PATH_FRTS_Peru_eng.pdf 2009. Accessed 16 March 2010.
- 60PATH and National Institute of Hygiene and Epidemiology (NIHE). Shaping a Strategy to Introduce HPV Vaccines in Vietnam: Formative Research Results from the Project. Seattle: PATH; 2009. Available at: http://www.rho.org/files/PATH_FRTS_Vietnam.pdf. Accessed 16 March 2010.
- 61PATH and Child Health and Development Centre (CHDC). Shaping a Strategy to Introduce HPV Vaccines in Uganda: Formative Research Results from the Project. Seattle: PATH; 2009. Available at: http://www.rho.org/files/PATH_FRTS_Uganda. pdf 2009. Accessed 16 March 2010.
- 622009.. HPV vaccines project: evidence for impact. Presented at the XIX FIGO World Congress, Cape Town, South Africa, October 7,
- 64Assessing the environment for introduction of human papillomavirus vaccine in India. Open Vaccine J 2010; 3: 96–107., , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 682010, Poster VC-1., , , , , , , , , . Human papillomavirus (HPV)-16/18 AS04-adjuvanted vaccine administered according to an alternative dosing schedule. Presented at EUROGIN, Monte Carlo, Monaco, February 17–20,
- 692009., , , , , , , , , , , , et al. Are 2 doses of vaccine adequate in girls? Presented at 25th International Papillomavirus Conference, Malmo, Sweden, May
- 702010.. Efficacy of the HPV-16/18 AS04-adjuvanted vaccine against non-vaccine oncogenic HPV types: end-of-study results. Abstract presented at the 26th International Papillomavirus Congress (IPC), Montreal,
- 712010., , , , , . Using evidence for an extended HPV immunization schedule in pre-adolescent girls. Poster presented at the 26th International Papillomavirus Conference and Clinical and Public Health Workshops, Montréal, July 3–8,
- 722010., , , , , , , , , . Proof-of-principle: efficacy of fewer than 3-doses of a bivalent HPV 16/18 vaccine against incident persistent HPV infection in Guanacaste, Costa Rica. Presented at the 26th International Papillomavirus Conference and Clinical and Public Health Workshops, Montréal, July 3–8,
- 73http://screening.iarc.fr/hpvvaccine.php. Accessed 1 February 2011.. International Agency for Research on Cancer. Randomized trial of 2 versus 3 doses of HPV vaccine in India. Available at:
- 75International AIDS Vaccine Initiative/PATH. HPV Vaccine Adoption in Developing Countries: Cost and Financing Issues. December 2007. Available at: http://www.rho.org/files/IAVI_PATH_HPV_financing.pdf 2007. Accessed 16 March 2010.
- 76Pan American Health Organization. Vaccine revolving fund may expand to Africa, Eastern Mediterranean regions. Available at: http://new.paho.org/hq/index.php?option=com_content&task= view&id=1553&Itemid=259 2008. Accessed 16 March 2010.
- 78Cervical Cancer Action. The global call to stop cervical cancer. Available at: http://www.cervicalcanceraction.org/ call/thecall.php 2010. Accessed 16 March 2010.