The authors' responsibilities were as follows—N.T.: developed the idea and the analytical strategy, analyzed and interpreted the data and drafted the manuscript. L.J. and N.P.: interpreted the data, contributed to the data analysis and to drafting of the manuscript. A.J.C.: interpreted the data and contributed to data analysis. N.T., J.L. and A.F.S.: created the dietary variables; V.K.: provided statistical support; V.K., A.F.S., A.H. and A.S.: helped with the conception and design of the NIH-AARP Diet and Health Study, acquired the data and interpreted the data. N.T., L.J., A.J.C., V.K., A.F.S., A.H., A.S. and N.P.: critically reviewed and revised the manuscript and approved the final version of the manuscript.
Version of Record online: 25 MAY 2011
Copyright © 2011 UICC
International Journal of Cancer
Volume 130, Issue 1, pages 159–169, 1 January 2012
How to Cite
Tasevska, N., Jiao, L., Cross, A. J., Kipnis, V., Subar, A. F., Hollenbeck, A., Schatzkin, A. and Potischman, N. (2012), Sugars in diet and risk of cancer in the NIH-AARP Diet and Health Study. Int. J. Cancer, 130: 159–169. doi: 10.1002/ijc.25990
Published 2011. This article is a US Government work and, as such, is in the public domain of the United States of America.
Tel.: 301-496-8550, Fax: 301-435-3710
- Issue online: 27 OCT 2011
- Version of Record online: 25 MAY 2011
- Accepted manuscript online: 15 FEB 2011 02:33PM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 26 JAN 2011
- Manuscript Received: 24 AUG 2010
- 2World Cancer Research Fund (WCRF)/American Institute for Cancer Research (AICR). Food, nutrition, physical activity and the prevention of cancer: a global perspective. Washington, DC: AICR, 2007.
- 5World Health Organization (WHO)/Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO). Diet, nutrition and the prevention of chronic diseases. Report of a joint WHO/FAO expert consultation. Geneva, Switzerland: WHO, 2003.
- 16World Health Organization (WHO). International classification of diseases for oncology, 3rd edn. Geneva, Switzerland: WHO, 2000.
- 18U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA). Database for the added sugars content of selected foods, release 1. Beltsville, Maryland: USDA, 2006.
- 21Beltsville Human Nutrition Research Center, Agricultural Research Service. Beltsville, MD: U.S. Department of Agriculture, 2008. Available at: http://www.ars.usda.gov/SP2UserFiles/Place/12355000/pdf/mped/mped2_doc.pdf (accessed January 18, 2011)., , . MyPyramid equivalents database, 2.0 for USDA survey foods, 2003–2004 [Online]. Food Surveys Research Group.
- 22Carbohydrate consumption and esophageal cancer: an ecological assessment. Am J Gastroenterol 2008; 103: 555–61., , , , .Direct Link: