The study was conceived and designed by M.T.v.L. and C.M.V. The data were obtained from data custodians by M.T.v.L. and C.M.V. All authors contributed to the analytical plans. The data were analyzed by M.T.v.L. and M.O.F. M.T.v.L. and C.M.V. drafted the manuscript. All authors reviewed, revised and approved the final draft.
Latitude gradients for lymphoid neoplasm subtypes in Australia support an association with ultraviolet radiation exposure
Version of Record online: 4 MAR 2013
Copyright © 2013 UICC
International Journal of Cancer
Volume 133, Issue 4, pages 944–951, 15 August 2013
How to Cite
van Leeuwen, M. T., Turner, J. J., Falster, M. O., Meagher, N. S., Joske, D. J., Grulich, A. E., Giles, G. G. and Vajdic, C. M. (2013), Latitude gradients for lymphoid neoplasm subtypes in Australia support an association with ultraviolet radiation exposure. Int. J. Cancer, 133: 944–951. doi: 10.1002/ijc.28081
- Issue online: 11 JUN 2013
- Version of Record online: 4 MAR 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 5 FEB 2013 03:20AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 16 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Received: 10 DEC 2012
- Leukemia Foundation of Australia (to M.T.v.L.), the Australian National Health and Medical Research Council. Grant Numbers: ID1012141 (to M.T.v.L.), ID1023159 (to C.M.V.), ID568819 (to A.E.G.)
- Cancer Institute New South Wales. Grant Number: ID10/CDF/2–42 (to C.M.V.)
- Epidemiology of non-Hodgkin lymphoma in connecticut 1935–1988. Cancer 1992;70:840–9. , , , et al.
- The increasing incidence of non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma (NHL): the possible role of sunlight. Leuk Lymphoma 1994;14:387–94. , , .
- Evidence of an association between non-Hodgkin's lymphoma and skin cancer. BMJ 1995;310:1491–5. , , , et al.
- Association between incidence of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma and solar ultraviolet radiation in England and Wales. BMJ 1996;312:1128–31. .
- Have increases in solar ultraviolet exposure contributed to the rise in incidence of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma? Br J Cancer 1996;73:945–50. , .
- American data refute ultraviolet hypothesis. BMJ 1995;311:750. .
- Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma and sunlight. J Natl Cancer Inst 1996;88:298–300. , , , et al.
- Solar ultraviolet-B exposure and cancer incidence and mortality in the United States, 1993–2002. BMC cancer 2006;6:264. , .
- Ultraviolet radiation and incidence of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma among Hispanics in the United States. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2004;13:59–64. , , , et al.
- An ecological study of cancer mortality rates in the United States with respect to solar ultraviolet-B doses, smoking, alcohol consumption and urban/rural residence. Dermatoendocrinol 2010;2:68–76. .
- Multiple indicators of ambient and personal ultraviolet radiation exposure and risk of non-Hodgkin lymphoma (United States). J Photochem Photobiol B 2010;101:321–5. , , , et al.
- Residential and occupational exposure to sunlight and mortality from non-Hodgkin's lymphoma: composite (threefold) case-control study. BMJ 1997;314:1451–5. , , .
- Adulthood residential ultraviolet radiation, sun sensitivity, dietary vitamin D, and risk of lymphoid malignancies in the California Teachers Study. Blood 2011;118:1591–9. , , , et al.
- Sunlight and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma: a population-based cohort study in Sweden. Int J Cancer 1999;80:641–5. , , , et al.
- Sunlight exposure, vitamin D, and risk of non-Hodgkin lymphoma in the Nurses' Health Study. Cancer Causes Control 2011;22:1731–41. , , , et al.
- Personal sun exposure and risk of non Hodgkin lymphoma: a pooled analysis from the Interlymph Consortium. Int J Cancer 2008;122:144–54. , , , et al.
- The association of solar ultraviolet B (UVB) with reducing risk of cancer: multifactorial ecologic analysis of geographic variation in age-adjusted cancer mortality rates. Anticancer Res 2006;26:2687–99. , .
- Global solar UV index: Australian measurements, forecasts and comparison with the UK. Photochem Photobiol 2004;79:32–9. , , , et al.
- Time trends and latitudinal differences in melanoma thickness distribution in Australia, 1990–2006. Int J Cancer 2012;130:170–8. , , , et al.
- Non-melanoma skin cancer in Australia: the 2002 national survey and trends since 1985. Med J Aust 2006;184:6–10. , , , et al.
- InterLymph hierarchical classification of lymphoid neoplasms for epidemiologic research based on the WHO classification (2008): update and future directions. Blood 2010;116:e90–8. , , , et al.
- Australian Institute of Health and Welfare (AIHW) and Australasian Association of Cancer Registries. Cancer in Australia: an overview, 2010. Cancer series no. 60. Cat. no. CAN 56. Canberra: AIHW; 2010.
- Pigmentary characteristics, UV radiation exposure, and risk of non-Hodgkin lymphoma: a prospective study among Scandinavian women. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2010;19:1569–76. , , , et al.
- Ultraviolet radiation exposure and risk of malignant lymphomas. J Natl Cancer Inst 2005;97:199–209. , , , et al.
- Sun exposure and malignant lymphoma: a population-based case-control study in Germany. Int J Cancer 2007;120:2445–51. , , , et al.
- Exposure to ultraviolet radiation and risk of malignant lymphoma and multiple myeloma—a multicentre European case-control study. Int J Epidemiol 2008;37:1080–94. , , , et al.
- Sun exposure and non-Hodgkin lymphoma. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2007;16:396–400. , .
- The effect of 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 on lymphoma cell lines and expression of vitamin D receptor in lymphoma. Br J Cancer 1993;68:668–72. , , , et al.
- Vitamin D insufficiency and prognosis in non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. J Clin Oncol 2010;28:4191–8. , , , et al.
- Vitamin D insufficiency and prognosis in chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Blood 2011;117:1492–8. , , , et al.
- Season of diagnosis is a prognostic factor in Hodgkin's lymphoma: a possible role of sun-induced vitamin D. Br J Cancer 2005;93:571–4. , , , et al.
- Modulation of the immune system by UV radiation: more than just the effects of vitamin D? Nat Rev Immunol 2011;11:584–96. , , .
- A review of human carcinogens—part B: biological agents. Lancet Oncol 2009;10:321–2. , , , et al.
- Borrelia infection and risk of non-Hodgkin lymphoma. Blood 2008;111:5524–9. , , , et al.
- Personal and family history of immune-related conditions increase the risk of plasma cell disorders: a population-based study. Blood 2011;118:6284–91. , , , et al.
- The pathogenesis of mycosis fungoides. N Engl J Med 2004;350:1978–88. , , .
- No excess risk of follicular lymphoma in kidney transplant and HIV-related immunodeficiency. Int J Cancer 2010;127:2732–5. , , , et al.
- The BRAF V600E mutation in hairy cell leukemia and other mature B-cell neoplasms. Blood 2012;119:188–91. , , , et al.
- CD8+ T-Cell deficiency, Epstein-Barr virus infection, vitamin D deficiency, and steps to autoimmunity: a unifying hypothesis. Autoimmune Dis 2012;2012:189096. .
- Deciphering the role of Epstein-Barr virus in the pathogenesis of T and NK cell lymphoproliferations. Herpesviridae 2011;2:8. , , .
- Australian Bureau of Statistics. Australian social trends, Sep 2012, “Table 2: population, state summary,” data cube: Excel spreadsheet, cat. no. 4102.0. 26 September 2012. Available at: http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@.nsf/DetailsPage/4102.0Sep%202012?OpenDocument. Accessed 9 November 2012.
- Merkel cell carcinoma, chronic lymphocytic leukemia and other lymphoproliferative disorders: an old bond with possible new viral ties. Ann Oncol 2011;22:250–6. , , .
- Antibiotic use and risk of non-Hodgkin lymphomas. Int J Cancer 2012;131:E1158–65. , , , et al.
- Potentially significant under-notification of chronic lymphocytic leukaemia—results of a preliminary audit at NSW central cancer registry Paper Presented at the Australasian Epidemiological Association (AEA) Annual Scientific Meeting, 2011. , , .
- UVR, vitamin D and three autoimmune diseases—multiple sclerosis, type 1 diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis. Photochem Photobiol 2005;81:1267–75. , , .
- Assessment of evidence for a protective role of vitamin D in multiple sclerosis. Biochim Biophys Acta 2011;1812:202–12. , .
- Latitude is significantly associated with the prevalence of multiple sclerosis: a meta-analysis. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2011;82:1132–41. , , , et al.
- Circulating 25-hydroxyvitamin D and risk of non-hodgkin lymphoma: Cohort Consortium Vitamin D Pooling Project of Rarer Cancers. Am J Epidemiol 2010;172:58–69. , , , et al.
- Photoimmunomodulation and melatonin. J Photochem Photobiol B 2010;98:107–17. , .
- Prevalence of vitamin D deficiency and its determinants in Australian adults aged 25 years and older: a national, population-based study. Clin Endocrinol 2012;77:26–35. , , , et al.