Conflict of interest: The authors have declared no conflicts of interest.
Does removal of out-of-pocket costs for cervical and breast cancer screening work? A quasi-experimental study to evaluate the impact on attendance, attendance inequality and average cost per uptake of a Japanese government intervention
Article first published online: 13 MAR 2013
Copyright © 2013 UICC
International Journal of Cancer
Volume 133, Issue 4, pages 972–983, 15 August 2013
How to Cite
Tabuchi, T., Hoshino, T., Nakayama, T., Ito, Y., Ioka, A., Miyashiro, I. and Tsukuma, H. (2013), Does removal of out-of-pocket costs for cervical and breast cancer screening work? A quasi-experimental study to evaluate the impact on attendance, attendance inequality and average cost per uptake of a Japanese government intervention. Int. J. Cancer, 133: 972–983. doi: 10.1002/ijc.28095
- Issue published online: 11 JUN 2013
- Article first published online: 13 MAR 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 7 FEB 2013 07:06AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 28 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Received: 7 SEP 2012
- Japanese Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare. Grant Number: H23-ganrinsho-011
- Osaka Prevention Center for Cancer and Cardiovascular Diseases. Grant Number: H23-03
- 1American Cancer Society. Global cancer facts & figures, 2nd edn. Atlanta, GA: American Cancer Society, 2011.
- 2Cancer Control Promotion Conference. Proceedings and reports. Tokyo, Japan: Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare, 2011 (in Japanese).
- 3Cancer screening in the European Union. Report on the implementation of the council recommendation on cancer screening—first reported. Luxembourg: the European Commission, 2008., , , et al.
- 4Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare. Practice of the cancer screening in municipalities in 2010. Available at: http://www.mhlw.go.jp/stf/shingi/2r9852000002bifz.html (in Japanese).
- 5OECD. OECD Health Data 2012. Available at: http://www.oecd.org/els/healthpoliciesanddata/oecdhealthdata2012.htm.
- 10Interventions targeted at women to encourage the uptake of cervical screening. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2011;5:CD002834., , , et al.
- 12World Health Organization. A conceptual framework for action on the social determinants of health. Geneva: WHO Document Production Services, 2010.
- 16Commission on Social Determinants of Health. Closing the gap in a generation: health equity through action on the social determinants of health. Final report of the Commission on Social Determinants of Health. Geneva: World Health Organization, 2008.
- 17Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare. Healthy Japan 21 (Second). Available at: http://www.mhlw.go.jp/bunya/kenkou/kenkounippon21.html (in Japanese).
- 18National Cancer Policy Board, Institute of Medicine. Fulfilling the potential of cancer prevention and early detection. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press, 2003.
- 20Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare. Comprehensive survey of living condition of people on health and welfare. Tokyo, Japan: Health and Welfare Statistics Association.
- 24Semiparametric Difference-in-Differences estimators. Rev Econ Studies 2005;72:1–19..Direct Link:
- 27Socioeconomic status and cancer screening in Japanese males: large inequlaity in middle-aged and urban residents. Environ Health Prev Med 2007;12:90–6., , , et al.
- 31Income poverty in the European Union. Dublin: European Foundation for the Improvement of Living and Working Conditions, 2007..
- 33Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications. Census. Available at: http://www.stat.go.jp/data/kokusei/2010/index.htm (in Japanese).
- 36Selected comparisons of measures of health disparities. NIH Publication No. 07–6281. Bethesda, MD: National Cancer Institute, 2007., .
- 38Methods for measuring cancer disparities: using data relevant to healthy people 2010 cancer-related objectives. Bethesda, MD: National Cancer Institute, 2005., .
- 39National Cancer Institute, Division of Cancer Control and Population Sciences, Surveillance Research Program and Applied Research Program. Health Disparities Calculator, Version 1.2.1. Available at: http://seer.cancer.gov/hdcalc/.
- 40The number needed to invite (NNI) for breast cancer mammography screening in Japan. J Jpn Assoc Breast Cancer Screening 2011;20:121–6., , , et al.
- 41Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare. The vital statistics. Tokyo, Japan: Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare, 2010.
- 42Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare. The report of health promotion project. Tokyo, Japan: Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare, 2009.
- 56On economic inequality. Expanded edition. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1997., .