*A.R. and N.W.S. contributed equally to this work
Effects of valganciclovir as an add-on therapy in patients with cytomegalovirus-positive glioblastoma: A randomized, double-blind, hypothesis-generating study
Article first published online: 13 MAR 2013
Copyright © 2013 UICC
International Journal of Cancer
Volume 133, Issue 5, pages 1204–1213, 1 September 2013
How to Cite
Stragliotto, G., Rahbar, A., Solberg, N. W., Lilja, A., Taher, C., Orrego, A., Bjurman, B., Tammik, C., Skarman, P., Peredo, I. and Söderberg-Nauclér, C. (2013), Effects of valganciclovir as an add-on therapy in patients with cytomegalovirus-positive glioblastoma: A randomized, double-blind, hypothesis-generating study. Int. J. Cancer, 133: 1204–1213. doi: 10.1002/ijc.28111
Authors' disclosure of potential conflicts of interest: Over 4 years ago, CSN received speaker's fees and sponsored travel costs for presentations of her own research group's basic science data on the indirect molecular effects of HCMV at scientific meetings.
Author contributions: CSN and IP designed the study. GS and IP included and treated patients and collected the patient data. AR analyzed and performed PCR, ELISA and immunohistochemistry analyses for HCMV diagnostics, MGMT and VEGF analyses, AR and AO evaluated the immunohistochemistry grading for HCMV, and AO evaluated the pathological diagnosis. N.W.S. had main administrative responsibility and helped with handling clinical samples. BB served as research nurse and handled patient data for eCRF files. PS and CT handled clinical samples and PS had administrative responsibilities. CSN collected and interpreted the virology and immunology data. AL performed MRI analyses of tumor volumes. CSN and GS interpreted the data and drafted the report. All authors reviewed the draft, provided comments, and approved the final version of the report.
- Issue published online: 18 JUN 2013
- Article first published online: 13 MAR 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 13 FEB 2013 02:58AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 28 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Received: 11 SEP 2012
- Hoffmann La Roche
- Torsten and Ragnar Söderbergs Foundation
- 8Detection of human cytomegalovirus in normal and neoplastic breast epithelium. Herpesviridae 2010;1:8., , , et al.
- 13Low levels of human cytomegalovirus infection in glioblastoma multiforme associates with patient survival—a case-control study. Herpesviridae 2012;3:3., , , et al.