Funding sourcesThe work was supported by a funding from the FUTUR-Bonusprogramm (University of Regensburg, Germany) and by a grant from MSD Sharpe & Dohme GmbH (Haar, Germany) to Kay Brune. Kay Brune is Doerenkamp Professor. His work was also supported by the Hertie-Foundation.
Experimental & Clinical Pharmacology
Preoperative administration of etoricoxib in patients undergoing hip replacement causes inhibition of inflammatory mediators and pain relief
Article first published online: 19 DEC 2011
© 2011 European Federation of International Association for the Study of Pain Chapters
European Journal of Pain
Volume 16, Issue 6, pages 838–848, July 2012
How to Cite
Renner, B., Walter, G., Strauss, J., Fromm, M.F., Zacher, J. and Brune, K. (2012), Preoperative administration of etoricoxib in patients undergoing hip replacement causes inhibition of inflammatory mediators and pain relief. European Journal of Pain, 16: 838–848. doi: 10.1002/j.1532-2149.2011.00062.x
Conflicts of interestNone declared
Re-use of this article is permitted in accordance with the Terms and Conditions set out at http://wileyonlinelibrary.com/onlineopen#OnlineOpen_Terms
- Issue published online: 1 JUN 2012
- Article first published online: 19 DEC 2011
- Manuscript Accepted: 28 OCT 2011
- FUTUR-Bonusprogramm (University of Regensburg, Germany)
- MSD Sharpe & Dohme GmbH (Haar, Germany)
- Single- and multiple-dose pharmacokinetics of etoricoxib, a selective inhibitor of cyclooxygenase-2, in man. J Clin Pharmacol 2003;43:268–276. , , , , , , et al.
- Pain management after elective hallux valgus surgery: a prospective randomized double-blind study comparing etoricoxib and tramadol. Anesth Analg 2010;111:544–549. , , .
- Determination of etoricoxib in human plasma by liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry with electrospray ionisation. J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci 2003;788:309–315. , , .
- Using pharmacokinetic principles to optimize pain therapy. Nat Rev Rheumatol 2010;6:589–598. , , .
- Effects of perioperative administration of a selective cyclooxygenase 2 inhibitor on pain management and recovery of function after knee replacement: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA 2003;290:2411–2418. , , , , , , et al.
- Prevention of postoperative pain after abdominal hysterectomy by single dose etoricoxib. J Med Assoc Thai 2008;91:68–73. , , , , , .
- Single dose oral etoricoxib for acute postoperative pain in adults. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2009;15(2):CD004309. , , , .
- Characterization of etoricoxib, a novel, selective COX-2 inhibitor. J Clin Pharmacol 2003;43:573–585. , , , , , , et al.
- Studies with pain rating scales. Ann Rheum Dis 1978;37:378–381. , , , , , .
- Etoricoxib – preemptive and postoperative analgesia (EPPA) in patients with laparotomy or thoracotomy – design and protocols. Trials 2010;11:66. , , , , , , et al.
- Influence of timing on the analgesic effect of intravenous ketorolac after orthopedic surgery. Pain 1995;61:291–297. , , , , .
- Experimental study of COX-2 selective and traditional non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs in total hip replacement. J Int Med Res 2009;37:472–478. , , , , , , et al.
- Etoricoxib in acute pain associated with dental surgery: a randomized, double-blind, placebo- and active comparator-controlled dose-ranging study. Clin Ther 2004;26:667–679. , , , , , .
- Prospective randomized, double-blinded, placebo-controlled trial of preoperative etoricoxib for pain relief in uterine fractional curettage under paracervical block. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 2008;140:90–94. , .
- Effects of postoperative, nonsteroidal, anti-inflammatory drugs on bleeding risk after tonsillectomy: meta-analysis of randomized, controlled trials. Anesthesiology 2003;98:1497–1502. , , , .
- A qualitative and quantitative systematic review of preemptive analgesia for postoperative pain relief: the role of timing of analgesia. Anesthesiology 2002;96:725–741. , , .
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and the risk of operative site bleeding after tonsillectomy: a quantitative systematic review. Anesth Analg 2003;96:68–77, table. , , , .
- Liquid chromatographic-mass spectrometric determination of cyclooxygenase metabolites of arachidonic acid in cultured cells. J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci 2003;785:135–145. , , , .
- Complications of the COX-2 inhibitors parecoxib and valdecoxib after cardiac surgery. N Engl J Med 2005;352:1081–1091. , , , , , , et al.
- Efficacy and safety of the cyclooxygenase 2 inhibitors parecoxib and valdecoxib in patients undergoing coronary artery bypass surgery. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2003;125:1481–1492. , , , , , , et al.
- IV diclofenac in post-thoracotomy pain. Br J Anaesth 1992;68:474–480. , , , .
- Oral etoricoxib for pain relief during fractional curettage: a randomized controlled trial. J Med Assoc Thai 2007;90:1053–1057. , , , , .
- Etoricoxib pre-medication for post-operative pain after laparoscopic cholecystectomy. Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 2006;50:688–693. , , , , .
- Absorption and distribution of etoricoxib in plasma, CSF, and wound tissue in patients following hip surgery – a pilot study. Naunyn Schmiedebergs Arch Pharmacol 2010;381:127–136. , , , , , .
- LC-MS/MS-analysis of prostaglandin E2 and D2 in microdialysis samples of rats.J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci 2005;826:188–197. , , .
- Etoricoxib for pain management during thyroid surgery – a prospective, placebo-controlled study. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2008;138:92–97. , , , , , .
- Nonsteroid anti-inflammatory drugs prevent the recurrence of heterotopic ossification after excision. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 1990;109:53–56. , , .
- Perioperative versus postoperative celecoxib on patient outcomes after major plastic surgery procedures. Anesth Analg 2008;106:950–958. , , , , , .
- Etoricoxib pre-medication combined with intra-operative subacromial block for pain after arthroscopic acromioplasty. Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 2007;51:316–321. , , .
- US Department of Health and Human Services. Guidance for industry: bioanalytical method validation. Rockville: CDER; 2001. Available at: www.fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/GuidanceComplianceRegulatoryInformation/Guidances/UCM070107.pdf.