The effectiveness of national guidance in changing analgesic prescribing in primary care from 2002 to 2009: An observational database study
Version of Record online: 2 JUL 2012
© 2012 European Federation of International Association for the Study of Pain Chapters
European Journal of Pain
Volume 17, Issue 3, pages 434–443, March 2013
How to Cite
Bedson, J., Belcher, J., Martino, O.I., Ndlovu, M., Rathod, T., Walters, K., Dunn, K.M. and Jordan, K.P. (2013), The effectiveness of national guidance in changing analgesic prescribing in primary care from 2002 to 2009: An observational database study. European Journal of Pain, 17: 434–443. doi: 10.1002/j.1532-2149.2012.00189.x
This work has been funded by the NIHR School for Primary Care Research and the North Staffordshire Primary Care Research Consortium and the National Coordinating Centre for Research Capacity Development (NCCRCD).
Conflicts of interest
The authors’ declare no conflicts of interest.
Re-use of this article is permitted in accordance with the Terms and Conditions set out at http://wileyonlinelibrary.com/onlineopen#OnlineOpen_Terms
- Issue online: 6 FEB 2013
- Version of Record online: 2 JUL 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 30 MAY 2012
- NIHR School for Primary Care Research
- North Staffordshire Primary Care Research Consortium
- National Coordinating Centre for Research Capacity Development (NCCRCD)
- Bandolier. Topical NSAIDs. 2011. http://www.medicine.ox.ac.uk/bandolier/band110/b110-6.html#Heading7 (accessed 14 November 2011).
- 2010). Determining analgesic prescribing rates in primary care using a consensus model of prescribing from general practice. Rheumatology 49(S1), i147–i152. doi:10.1093/rheumatology/keq733. , , (
- 2009). Fit for work? Musculoskeletal Disorders in the European Workforce. The Work Foundation, 1. http://www.fitforworkeurope.eu/Website-Documents/Fit%20for%20Work%20pan-European%20report.pdf (last accessed 13 June 2012) , , , , , (
- BNF. (2011). British National Formulary, 61st edn (London: BMJ Group).
- 2000). Influencing NSAID prescribing in primary care using different feedback strategies. Pharm World Sci 22, 39–46. , (
- 2008). Charting the possible impact of national guidelines on the management of rheumatoid arthritis. Scand J Rheumatol 37, 188–193. , , , (
- Department of Health. Standard general medical services contract. (2012). http://www.dh.gov.uk/prod_consum_dh/groups/dh_digitalassets/@dh/@en/documents/digitalasset/dh_134307.pdf (accessed 13 June 2012).
- 2003). Low back pain. Bull World Health Organ 81, 671–676. (
- 2008). Printed educational materials: Effects on professional practice and health care outcomes. Cochrane Database Syst Rev (2), CD000172. , , , , , , (
- 2006). Estimating the average annual percent change for disease rates without assuming constant change. Biometrics 62, 847–854. , , , (
- 1998). Persistent pain and well-being: A world health organization study in primary care. JAMA 280, 147–151. , , , (
- Effect of withdrawal of co-proxamol on prescribing and deaths from drug poisoning in England and Wales: Time series analysis. 2009. http://www.bmj.com/content/338/bmj.b2270.abstract (accessed 14 November 2011). , , , , , , , ,
- 2003). Co-proxamol and suicide: A study of national mortality statistics and local non-fatal self poisonings. BMJ 326, 1006–1008. , , (
- 2007). Measuring disease prevalence: A comparison of musculoskeletal disease using four general practice consultation databases. Br J Gen Pract 57, 7–14. , , , , , , (
- 2010). Annual consultation prevalence of regional musculoskeletal problems in primary care. BMC Musculoskelet Disord 11, 144. doi:10.1186/1471-2474-11-144. , , , , , (
- 2011). Trends in antipsychotic use in dementia 1999–2007. Arch Gen Psychiatry 68, 190–197. , , , , , , , , , (
- 2000). Permutation tests for joinpoint regression with applications to cancer rates. Stat Med 19, 335–351. , , , (
- 2006). Prescribing behaviour according to Dutch and European guidelines on the management of hypercholesterolaemia (1992−1999). Br J Clin Pharmacol 61, 592–600. , , , , , , , (
- MDDUS. Large rise in calls as ‘risk-aware’ doctors seek advice. 2011. http://www.mddus.com/mddus/news-and-media/news/january-2011/big-rise-in-calls-to-mddus.aspx (accessed 13 June 2012).
- MHRA. Advice on the use of Celecoxib and other selective cox-2 inhibitors in light of concerns about cardiovascular safety. 2004. http://www.mhra.gov.uk/Safetyinformation/Safetywarningsalertsandrecalls/Safetywarningsandmessagesformedicines/CON1004257 (accessed 14 November 2011).
- MHRA. MHRA issues updated advice on the safety of selective Cox-2 inhibitors. 2005a. http://www.mhra.gov.uk/Safetyinformation/Safetywarningsalertsandrecalls/Safetywarningsandmessagesformedicines/CON1004250 (accessed 14 November 2011).
- MHRA. Withdrawal of co-proxamol and interim updated prescribing information. 2005b. http://www.mhra.gov.uk/home/groups/pl-a/documents/websiteresources/con019461.pdf (accessed 7 September 2011).
- MHRA. Review of the cardiovascular safety of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). 2005c. http://www.mhra.gov.uk/Safetyinformation/Safetywarningsalertsandrecalls/Safetywarningsandmessagesformedicines/CON1004301 (accessed 13 June 2012).
- MHRA. Safety of selective and non-selective NSAIDs. 2006. http://www.mhra.gov.uk/home/idcplg?IdcService=GET_FILE&dDocName=CON2025036&RevisionSelectionMethod=Latest (accessed 14 November 2011).
- MHRA. Updated advice on non-prescription medicines containing codeine or dihydrocodeine. 2009. http://www.mhra.gov.uk/Safetyinformation/Safetywarningsalertsandrecalls/Safetywarningsandmessagesformedicines/CON057118 (accessed 14 November 2011).
- National Cancer Institute. Joinpoint Regression Program. 2011. http://surveillance.cancer.gov/joinpoint/ (accessed 14 November 2011).
- New Medications Committee. Formulary focus: Analgesic review. 2006. http://www.medicinesmanagementstoke.nhs.uk/documents/Feb.2006.pdf (accessed 14 November 2011).
- NHS Business Authority. PCT Prescribing Report (November 2008). Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) – Prescribing guidance and discussion points. 2011. http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/PrescriptionServices/Documents/PPDPCTReports/pctreport_20082.pdf (accessed 14 November 2011).
- NHS Stoke on Trent. North Staffordshire joint formulary. 2010. http://www.medicinesmanagementstoke.nhs.uk/north_staffs.html (accessed 14 November 2011).
- NICE. (2008). Osteoarthritis: The care and management of osteoarthritis in adults. National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence, London, NICE clinical guideline 59.
- NICE. National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence. 2010a. http://www.nice.org.uk/. (accessed 14 November 2011).
- NICE. How NICE makes guidance available. 2010b. http://www.nice.org.uk/aboutnice/howwework/hownicemakesguidanceavailable/how_nice_makes_guidance_available.jsp (accessed 3 February 2012).
- 2004). Data quality of general practice electronic health records: The impact of a program of assessments, feedback, and training. J Am Med Inform Assoc 11, 78–86. , , , , , , (
- 2010). Implementing guidelines and innovations in general practice: Which interventions are effective? BGJP 48, 991–997. , , (