Science in Dispute: Debating the Authority of Knowledge in an Environmental Contestation
Article first published online: 2 JAN 2013
2012 The University of Sydney
Volume 82, Issue 3, pages 308–322, November 2012
How to Cite
Tuckwell, E. (2012), Science in Dispute: Debating the Authority of Knowledge in an Environmental Contestation. Oceania, 82: 308–322. doi: 10.1002/j.1834-4461.2012.tb00136.x
- Issue published online: 2 JAN 2013
- Article first published online: 2 JAN 2013
- 1995. Indigenous and scientific knowledge: Some critical comments. Indigenous Knowledge and Development Monitor 3(3), 3–6.
- 2005. The Logic of Environmentalism: Anthropology, Ecology and Postcoloniality. New York: Berghahn Books.
- 1990. Cognitive Foundations of Natural History: Towards an Anthropology of Science. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (Abs) 2007. 2006 Census QuickStats: Exmouth (Urban Centre/Locality). Canberra. Commonwealth of Australia, ABS Location Code: UCL509000.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (Abs) 2012. Regional Population Growth, Australia, 2010–11. Canberra. Commonwealth of Australia, ABS Location Code: 3218.0.
- 2007. Corporate Social Responsibility: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, Edward Elgar Publishing Limited, Cheltenham.
- 1996. Scientific Knowledge: a Sociological Analysis. London: Athlone. , , and ,
- 2008. Person, place and knowledge in the conservation of the Saimaa Ringed Seal. Society and Natural Resources 21: 277–293. , , and ,
- 1998. Knowing Nature, Knowing Science: An Ethnography of Environmental Activism. UK: The White Horse Press.
- 2005. Articulated knowledges: environmental forms after universality's demise. American Anthropologist 107: 5–18.
- 2005. Do Glaciers Listen? Local Knowledge, Colonial Encounters and Social Imagination. Vancouver: UBC Press.
- 2008. The trouble with nature: ambivalence in the lives of urban Australian environmentalists, Geoforum 39(3): 1284–1295.
- Department Of Mines and Petroleum Of Western Australia. 2011. Mines and Mineral Deposits, Mines and Minerals Index, Department of Mines and Petroleum, viewed 20 September 2011, <http:minedexext.dmp.wa.gov.auminedexexternalcommonappMain.jsp>.
- Epbc Act ‘Legislation’ http:www.environment.gov.aucoastsspeciescetaceanslegislationindex.html.
- 1996. Impure Science: AIDS, Activism, and the Politics of Knowledge. Berkeley: University of California Press.
- 2000. Citizens, Experts, and the Environment: The Politics of Local Knowledge. London: Duke University Press.
- 1996. The Challenge and the Chance: The colonisation and settlement of North West Australia 1861–1914. Western Australia: Hesperian Press.
- 1996. Nuclear Rites: A Weapons Laboratory at the End of the Cold War. California: University of Chicago Press.
- 1998. Performing protest, articulating difference: environmentalists, aborigines and the Kuranda Skyrail dispute. Aboriginal History 22: 143–161.
- 2009. Why We Disagree About Climate Change: Understanding Controversy, Inaction and Opportunity, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- 2005. Designs on Nature: Science and Democracy in Europe and the United States, Princeton: Princeton University Press.
- 2007. Industry going public: rethinking knowledge and administration’. In Anthropology and Science: Epistemologies in Practice. Pp. 39–57. (Eds) EDWARDS, J., HARVEY, P., and WADE, P. Oxford: Berg.
- 2000, Indigenous knowledge: prospects and limitations. In Indigenous Environmental Knowledge and its Transformations: Critical Anthropological Perspectives, Pp. 316–331, (Ed.) ELLEN, R., PARKES, P. & BICKER, A., Amsterdam: Harwood Academic Publishers.
- 1996. Aramis, or, The Love of Technology. Translated by PORTER, C. Cambridge: Harvard University Press.
- 2004. Social nature: the environmental challenge to mainstream social theory. In Controversies in Environmental Sociology, Pp. 26–42. (Ed.) WHITE, R., Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- 2002 Loving Nature: Towards an Ecology of Emotion. London: Routledge.
- 1996. Loggers are environmentalists too: towards an ethnography of environmental dispute, rural New South Wales 1994–1995. The Australian Journal of Anthropology 7(1): 43–60.
- 2003. Toward a more “reflexive environmentalism”: ecological knowledge and advocacy in the crown of the continent ecosystem. Society and Natural Resources 16: 807–825.
- 2002. Anatomy of a Conflict: Identity, Knowledge, and Emotion in Old-Growth Forests Canada: UBC Press.
- 2000. Fishy Business: Salmon, Biology, and the Social Construction of Nature. Philadelphia Temple University Press.
- 2010. “Capitalism, governance, and authority: the case of corporate social responsibility”, Annual Review of Law and Social Science, Vol. 6, pp. 531–53.
- 1997. Mining, Landscape and the culture of development ideology in Australia. Ecumene 4(2): 161–180.